Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

Not sure Conte would “fit” as good as he obviously is. 

Why not? He's been embroiled in relegation battles before in his career at Bari and has led a promotion push at Siena, a bit like Benitez at Extremadura, Tenerife, et cetera. His personality fits the club imo and he'd be idolised in our support in a similar way to how Benitez was which I think he'd love. His squad building at Juventus lead to their success under both him and under Allegri after him.

I just want us to approach him, if he says no he says no.

2 hours ago, junkhead said:

We must take our time to appoint the best sporting and financial directors to implement and oversee the whole football transformation - including the appointment of a manager with mid/long-term focus. Everything else will just make it harder for us to kickstart the process.
The appointments, the procedures and the overpriced sponsorship deals would surely take several months, so in the mean time the priority is not to get relegated this season.

If that's indeed our primary aim - an interim manager who can guarantee safety - then indeed why not go for the huge PR win - Keegan? Even if he's out of touch with the game, there's no way he'll get us relegated. In fact, we all know that if his character is in it, he'll galvanise and transform our players and the whole club in six games even if he doesn't recognise the opposition's players.

It's a lovely idea, and if he had a modern day Fazackerley to help him tactically, we'd avoid relegation for sure. But I think that ship has sailed with Bruce taking the Spurs game. New set-up announced on Monday and go from there.

53 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Why not? He's been embroiled in relegation battles before in his career at Bari and has led a promotion push at Siena, a bit like Benitez at Extremadura, Tenerife, et cetera. His personality fits the club imo and he'd be idolised in our support in a similar way to how Benitez was which I think he'd love. His squad building at Juventus lead to their success under both him and under Allegri after him.

I just want us to approach him, if he says no he says no.

Conte is my no 1 given a choice, as I am sure he is for many others, but I do think a manager of his pedigree will want CL football now, and there's probably plenty of clubs out there who could offer him that. Also I read somewhere that he doesn't want any jobs until next year, so I assume he's taking a sabbatical from the game right now if it's true.  

Just now, TRon said:

Conte is my no 1 given a choice, as I am sure he is for many others, but I do think a manager of his pedigree will want CL football now, and there's probably plenty of clubs out there who could offer him that. Also I read somewhere that he doesn't want any jobs until next year, so I assume he's taking a sabbatical from the game right now if it's true.  

Maybe. But I'll be really disappointed if we don't approach him and ask. If he turns us down, fair enough. But I think if he was to come in now, by the end of next season we'd be amongst Everton, Leicester, West Ham, Spurs and Arsenal. Then for the season after that we could make a push for a CL spot. It's just whether he's up for that. He's built squads up before, he took over Juventus in 2011 just after they'd finished 7th in Serie A the season before. They then won the scudetto. Now I'm not saying he'd come in and we'll be winning the title immediately, but he'd be able to galvanise and attract players way beyond any other available manager's ceiling.

6 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Maybe. But I'll be really disappointed if we don't approach him and ask. If he turns us down, fair enough. But I think if he was to come in now, by the end of next season we'd be amongst Everton, Leicester, West Ham, Spurs and Arsenal. Then for the season after that we could make a push for a CL spot. It's just whether he's up for that. He's built squads up before, he took over Juventus in 2011 just after they'd finished 7th in Serie A the season before. They then won the scudetto. Now I'm not saying he'd come in and we'll be winning the title immediately, but he'd be able to galvanise and attract players way beyond any other available manager's ceiling.

Yep. That's what you get when you bring in a gold standard manager, the best players will automatically start considering signing up, whereas they probably wouldn't if Graham Potter was the manager. 

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Yep. That's what you get when you bring in a gold standard manager, the best players will automatically start considering signing up, whereas they probably wouldn't if Graham Potter was the manager. 

Aye, like on deadline day, Boubacar Kamara, great player. Would be a superb signing. Didn't want to move as he thought he'd be moving 'for the sake of it'. A Newcastle with ambition, money and under the management of Antonio Conte would get players like him wanting to come. Bruce, Potter as you mentioned, Lampard, Gerrard, wouldn't have that pull. 

Depressing that Conte's went from favourite to 10/1 now like. :lol:

7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

How long has he been out of management ?

Hes always been one of my favourite managers 

On 21 August 2020, Hiddink was appointed manager of the Curaçao national team.[66]

After failing to lead the nation to 2022 FIFA World Cup qualification, Hiddink contracted COVID-19 in 2021, prompting Patrick Kluivert to step in as interim manager of the team.[67] On 9 September 2021, Hiddink officially stepped down as head coach of Curaçao and announced his managerial retirement at the age of 74.[68]

I was about to come in and suggest Redknapp for similar reasons to Hiddink. Think either would be good until May.

both would get the best out of what we’ve got and work the January market well

Guest neesy111
20 minutes ago, James said:

I was about to come in and suggest Redknapp for similar reasons to Hiddink. Think either would be good until May.

:bigi:

31 minutes ago, James said:

Don’t want that flobby gobbed pantomime dame anywhere near the club.

34 minutes ago, James said:

avatar_257_1315765141.thumb.png.4aba9bf0

10 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Tuchel would like the job imo. Not now obviously but at some point.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/newcastle-united-job-interested-thomas-tuchel-in-2015-vvr78j2w8

would've come in 2015, but we didn’t even bother speaking to him and appointed McClaren instead. Think he holds us in high regard though.  One day, maybe. 

If anyone is coming in for the interim, I hope there is a contract to say he will only be manager until the end of the season and not beyond. I don't want someone like Redknapp or Big Sam as interim and just because he does well to the end of the season, he gets the job full time. Usually, they'll turn shit after getting that gig.