Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Howe is a young, progressive coach lightyears from the PFMness of Pardew. Would be far from a disastrous appointment but not the best one we could make.

At one stage Pardew was considered quite the young progressive coach- at reading and west ham. It was his personality that tended to fuck things up as opposed to his coaching

1 minute ago, Ganninup said:

At one stage Pardew was considered quite the young progressive coach- at reading and west ham. It was his personality that tended to fuck things up as opposed to his coaching

What was considered progressive in the mid 00's is far from what is now. Howe, Potter and maybe even Parker are far from Pardew, Wilder, maybe even Hughton.

31 minutes ago, jdckelly said:

didn't howe get homesick at Burnley? hard to see him venturing too far away from the south coast again if he can help it 

I read an article last year (can't remember where, I was sure it was the Athletic but can't find it now so perhaps the Times) where he explained the Burnley 'failure' thing and it wasn't actual homesickness that caused his issues, his mother was seriously ill and eventually passed away. He was commuting between the two places and couldn't cope with the mental torment without his family around him.

He said in the same article that he doesn't see this as an issue for him going forwards (working away from the south coast).

Just now, Minhosa said:

I read an article last year (can't remember where, I was sure it was the Athletic but can't find it now so perhaps the Times) where he explained the Burnley 'failure' thing and it wasn't actual homesickness that caused his issues, his mother was seriously ill and eventually passed away. He was commuting between the two places and couldn't cope with the mental torment without his family around him.

He said in the same article that he doesn't see this as an issue for him going forwards (working away from the south coast).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/19937083

6 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

What was considered progressive in the mid 00's is far from what is now. Howe, Potter and maybe even Parker are far from Pardew, Wilder, maybe even Hughton.

Thats fair, but what i meant was at that point in time he was young and progressive by the standards of said time. You cant truly judge Howe, Potter and Parker vs the Pardew we  now know and love now. They are all at different stages in their career. I think Parker has a long way to go. Howe did a great job at Bournemouth for a number of years but then was relegated. Parker has had a promotion and a relegation but hasnt achieved what Howe has. Potter so far seems to be showing he can do more than just keep a small club up, but again early days. Personally if we go english we should gamble and go for Potter in my opinion. Id prefer someone non British if only because of the media. Sad to say this as my happiest times were with Keegan and Robson as manager. 

Just now, LFEE said:

Anyone know why Howe deliberated for months over the Celtic job when all agreed for him to ultimately turn it down at the 11th hour?

Celtic are terrible and need a full on rebuild with no money while rangers are doing okay and on the up. It was a bad job. But equally I don’t really rate Howe so at least he had the foresight not to take on the job. 

1 minute ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Celtic are terrible and need a full on rebuild with no money while rangers are doing okay and on the up. It was a bad job. But equally I don’t really rate Howe so at least he had the foresight not to take on the job. 

Yes but why did it take him months to give them an answer? My suspicion was he needed to convince his family to move North and couldn’t in the end.

Given that it's a slow news day, I've added a poll to the thread for who you would most want out of the top 10 in the current betting odds:

Paulo Fonseca
Frank Lampard

Lucien Favre

Eddie Howe
Roberto Martinez

Steven Gerrard

Unai Emery

Erik ten Hag

Brendan Rodgers

Rafael Benitez

Just now, Rich said:

Given that it's a slow news day, I've added a poll to the thread for who you would want out of the top 10 in the current betting odds:

Paulo Fonseca
Frank Lampard

Lucien Favre

Eddie Howe
Roberto Martinez

Steven Gerrard

Unai Emery

Erik ten Hag

Brendan Rodgers

Rafael Benitez

Can only vote for one?

6 minutes ago, Alan Pardew said:

Howe is NOT the solution. People always go on about what a great job he did at Bournemouth, but they never mention the absolute truckloads of money he spent to get where they got. £180m! And it all went tits up at the end. Don't want him here.

I smell Gallowgate End.

It seems people have really bought into the Fonseca hype. I'll confess to knowing very little about him.

I've watched a couple of breakdowns about his tactics and while they were on the whole positive, there are questions about his sides defensive records and off ball tactics.

I'd certainly get behind him, but I feel like him, Howe and to a larger extent Martinez have similar weaknesses.