Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

Given that it's a slow news day, I've added a poll to the thread for who you would most want out of the top 10 in the current betting odds:

Paulo Fonseca
Frank Lampard

Lucien Favre

Eddie Howe
Roberto Martinez

Steven Gerrard

Unai Emery

Erik ten Hag

Brendan Rodgers

Rafael Benitez

Erik ten Hag
Brendan Rodgers
Rafael Benitez

Unai Emery

Paulo Fonseca

Lucian Favre

Eddie Howe/ Martinez/Gerard

Lampard

I still find it funny that people sleep on the job Howe did at Bournemouth. I rate him personally, think hes a decent manager and has room to grow, would he be my first pick probably not, but I wouldn't turn my nose at him. 

Also fairly certain the reason he ended up turning Celtic down is due to him wanting his own staff to come in, and Celtic fucked around appointing said staff for an age before Howe went "Fuck this".

Personally voted for Emery as think he'd be perfect for what we need right now, would obviously love Rafa but thats never happening.

Benitez > Emery > Ten Hag > Fonseca > Rodgers > Howe > Favre > Gerrard > Lampard > Martinez

Edited by 54

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

???

Rodgers did what Howe did at Swansea -got them up and kept them up. Overall, he did a good job at Liverpool - they let him go primarily because Klopp was available and willing. Had they given him another year and smarter recruitment - he would've done a very good job. Overall - good job at a massive club imo.

Celtic he was a massive success. At the very least he showed he was a very good coach and a step above the dross. The domination domestically, the goals, the style and competitive in Europe.

The Celtic job proved he was a serious manager.

Howe is all the way back to the Swansea days.

Yes, I agree, which is why I said trajectory. I see similarities in their approach to the game and their desire to continue to learn. Howe's next job at what I imagine would be a club a step up from Bournemouth is going to be the real teller.

The Celtic job would have been good for Howe, but for some reason that fell through. Similarly if he had gone to Everton or Spurs over the summer that would have been good for him too. If he came to Newcastle at this point, I wouldn't be overly surprised if he ended up doing similar to what Rodgers ended up doing at Liverpool. Not saying its guaranteed, and he's not really a preference for me as I really like some of the other names we've been linked with a lot, but I could see it happen. 

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Rafa the best fit but least likely sadly. So with that in mind I’d like someone who has no previous links to any English club. Ten Hag, Fonseca, Favre for me.

I think he is best fit until the end of the season as he will organise the defence, but personally I don't think he is the best fit long term though. As you say though, I don't think it matters anyway as he won't be coming either way.

I'll make it easy for all of us.

I don't want Martinez.

I'm fairly "meh" about Lampard but would get behind him.

Benitez and Rodgers aren't going to happen. 

As for the rest, there's a real selection of quality/weakness in all of them. If I had to pick one of them, that I felt would guarantee us improvement over the next 4 years, whilst also playing some decent stuff, I'd pick Emery.

3 minutes ago, STM said:

I'll make it easy for all of us.

I don't want Martinez.

I'm fairly "meh" about Lampard but would get behind him.

Benitez and Rodgers aren't going to happen. 

As for the rest, there's a real selection of quality/weakness in all of them. If I had to pick one of them, that I felt would guarantee us improvement over the next 4 years, whilst also playing some decent stuff, I'd pick Emery.

Emery is the one that would have me the most confident that we would stay up comfortably, and then start building towards winning stuff straight away.

2 minutes ago, Ben said:

There's a chance Fonseca already tied up the job, and has just been given this time to get his stuff together, get his staff arranged, and also assess the team and recent matches. All the other links seem a bit fleeting at his point. Fabrizio Romano going as far as to tweet about his contract talks last week was a bit of an eye opener.

The fact that such a poll even exists is enough for me. How class is this? We've just had two and a bit years of Steve Bruce so I'd happily welcome any of them. 

Perversely, Rodgers is my least favourite cos I think it would feel quite artificial and I would struggle with that. It would be like us going out and signing Neymar, or something. Rodgers could arguably go anywhere in world football aside from Liverpool and Chelsea.

Lampard and Gerrard would probably be the ones I'd want the least after that, though would still get behind either appointments as they've both got potentially exciting years in management ahead of them, and we might grow in tandem. I haven't studied Belgium in any detail at all under Martinez, but he's a guy with tactical ideas so that would be a turn up for the books at least. Not that arsed about the Haidara thing, though it was obviously a bit shitty. 

Love Rafa to pieces but I think even I'm ready for us to move on from him altogether. It won't happen anyway unless Everton do something dramatic in the next week or so. At that point I think he'd become the instant favourite and I can't say I wouldn't be elated to see him back in our dugout where he fucking well belongs. 

So that leaves Fonseca, Favre, Ten Hag, Howe and Emery. Fuck knows how to split that lot, they all sound great. Adore the UEFA Cup/Europa League so it would be funny seeing Emery inevitably fail to win it here cos, ye know, Newcastle. 

Ten Hag and Overmars appear to have done a remarkable job at Ajax so that sounds like a pretty sexy duo to have. I'll go with them. Fuck it.

Probably Rafa though.