Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

I think it’s safe to say whoever comes in will be backed and given the time to actually build something special.

The difference between Ajax and where we aspire to be, is that we won’t want to sell off the nurtured talent as soon as they come to the fore.

That in itself would be a huge draw for someone like ETH, being able to develop the team and then be able to keep playing them to see how far they can go (while also having the financial muscle to buy the right cogs when needed)

Edited by Dr Jinx

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I don't think we're in with a chance of getting Ten Hag, he's already turned down Spurs and Barca. While we're in a totally different position to Barca, we're still a mess. 

He’s potentially in the running for Man Utd in the coming weeks. Not a chance he comes here at this time 

3 minutes ago, gdm said:

He’s potentially in the running for Man Utd in the coming weeks. Not a chance he comes here at this time 

If he doesn't have the basic brainpower to see which club (us or MU) will become the very best place to be in the footballing world in the forseeable future, with our new owners allied to our club and fans - then we don't want him !!

7 minutes ago, gdm said:

Conte is less than evens to get the man utd job ..I know that can change at anytime like.

Agree about TH and us though.. hes  in that league of managers a couple of years down the line 

Edited by Gaztoon

1 hour ago, nbthree3 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10132269/Newcastle-willing-offer-Ajax-boss-Erik-Ten-Hag-11MILLION-year.html

Newcastle are willing to make Erik Ten Hag one of the highest-paid managers in the Premier League - but the Dutchman is reluctant to leave Ajax.

As the Magpies' search for Steve Bruce's successor enters a second week, it is understood the club's new owners have explored the prospect of luring Ten Hag to St James' Park.

Sportsmail has learned that Newcastle would be willing to pay the highly-rated boss a salary of £6million after tax - totalling a gross wage of just over £11m.

However, Ten Hag is said to have reservations over leaving Ajax for the new project at Newcastle. The 51-year-old has established a reputation as one of Europe's best emerging coaches and turned down the opportunity of replacing Jose Mourinho at Tottenham during the close season.

News of Ten Hag's hesitancy will come as blow to Newcastle's new owners whose attempts to appoint a new boss are dragging.

Former Roma boss Paulo Fonseca held talks with club officials last week and remains a firm contender to take the reins, particularly given he is ready to jump straight into work.

But Newcastle appear determined to complete a thorough recruitment process that has also seen them consider Roberto Martinez, Frank Lampard and Lucien Favre

Ok, now I’m starting to think someone at NUFC is leaking this because there was a similar one on PF

PF came from Romano and Italian sources, so the leaks were likely coming from his agent. 

Since the consortium took over, the English media's reporting has been scatter gun at best. I'd far more likely take Bild's word that we've interviewed Favre.

15 minutes ago, Gaztoon said:

Agree about TH and us though.. hes  in that league of managers a couple of years down the line 

Yes, that's how I used to think too, when the Takeover first went through.

However, I now realise that what we want is a Director of Football and a Manager (Head Coach) who can "see the project now" and wants to be in it from the beginning to make it all happen - his way.

2 hours ago, thomas said:

I can't. There's no chance they walked into this expecting returns within even 5 years. This is either a long haul investment or there's no point. Scouting, academy, facilities, first team, it all needs work and they'll all take a good while before rewards are reaped.

Allow me to rephrase...they will want to see growth quickly even if planning long term, and just don't think Rafa would be quick enough 

20 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I know nowt about Ten Hag but his apparent lack of enthusiasm for the job is a huge red flag for me. It's got to be Favre or Fonseca IMO.

Its a great point. Same goes for any players or managers at any point really.

When you hear players preferring London and the anonymity of it, they're not right for Man United, Liverpool or us. Players that dig the pros and cons of having a passioante crowd have revelled here. Keegan epitomised it and made a point to get the right players in with that in mind.

Edited by Wolfcastle

Thought the international break was after the Chelski game. Ideally having someone in sooner and at watching at the weekend would be great but no panic stations provided they are in place for the international break to get working with the players. 

It is a big gamble for Ten Hag. It is another long term project. He has been in one at Ajax. I expect he will prefer to go somewhere that can win trophies quickly and will be more of a sure bet rather than gambling on a builder project that could wreck his career if something goes wrong. Not to say there aren't similar risks going into a big club but I get the hesitancy and starting from scratch.

Edit. Reported in multiple places that Zidane has no interest in the Manure job. The man is consistent.

Edited by toontownman

17 minutes ago, manorpark said:

Yes, that's how I used to think too, when the Takeover first went through.

However, I now realise that what we want is a Director of Football and a Manager (Head Coach) who can "see the project now" and wants to be in it from the beginning to make it all happen - his 

Sounds good to me

I dont get this mad love for Ten Haag, yes, very successful in a much inferior Dutch league but what else has he done to be considered a future top manager. I wouldnt go near him, if we can't get Benitez, then Favre all day long, someone who'll be able to organise the defense, play a decent style of football & save us from relegation, that's the most important thing. Not in a million years will he(Haag) get the United job, even if Sojskaer is sacked. 

The summer for us is a whole different matter, thats a time when we can take our time and make sure we get the appointment right along with the players. Now is not the time to be making a play for a manager under contract already & is going to be looking for huge wages. He might fold in a PL relegation battle & what kind of a situation would that leave us in. We need a safe experienced pair of hands, not the next up & coming who may or may not be successful. 

Give it to Favre if Benitez can't be secured. That's our best chance of survival.