Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Martinez will tick lots of boxes to be our next manager. PL experience, relegation experience with Wigan, Attractive football. Working with elite players with Belgium. We could do a lot worse.

Edited by Strawberry

Really surprised there's not at least an accepted front runner by now, even if nothing had been announced. Bookies have no idea who it'll be, favourite back out to 4/1 atm. Thought we'd be close to an announcement by now with the new manager getting ready to take over after this weekend's game.

2 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

Crazy People don't want Martinez and call him Fraud yet they think his assistant for number of years (Jones) is great :facepalm:

I'm not sure why that sounds so ridiculous. A manager's record isn't necessarily a reflection of his number two.

Martinez has taken every team he's managed backwards.

Having said that, I've not seen many people describing Jones as great.

Edited by The Prophet

9 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

Crazy People don't want Martinez and call him Fraud yet they think his assistant for number of years (Jones) is great :facepalm:

Jones is just a coach, I don’t want him as manager either. Martinez is a proven failure outside of an FA cup win with Wigan, can’t organise a defence even with the best selection of defenders available anywhere in the world and what’s more he looks and sounds like an inside sales manager in a recruitment consultancy. 

Belgium and Everton didn’t play great football either, it was very much the same sort of shite you see up at man United under ole. A disorganised rabble hoping for one of the superstars to win the game for him, I’ve had a lifetime of that shite and want something else tbh. 

Edited by Billy Pilgrim

2 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Jones is just a coach, I don’t want him as manager either. Martinez is a proven failure outside of an FA cup win with Wigan, can’t organise a defence even with the best selection of defenders available anywhere in the world and what’s more he looks and sounds like an inside sales manager in a recruitment consultancy. 

Is it not conceivable he might have learned something from his decent Everton spell, and by managing the top ranked international team for several years?

16 minutes ago, Anderson said:

Really surprised there's not at least an accepted front runner by now, even if nothing had been announced. Bookies have no idea who it'll be, favourite back out to 4/1 atm. Thought we'd be close to an announcement by now with the new manager getting ready to take over after this weekend's game.

With all sides (ours and prospective managers) keeping silent the media have little to go on.

Our side said Jones would be in charge till after Chelsea and that's what's happened. I'm OK with Brighton even. Ill be concerned if we have no one in by Brentford.

Edited by madras

Just now, gjohnson said:

Is it not conceivable he might have learned something from his decent Everton spell, and by managing the top ranked international team for several years?

He’s managed Belgium into also rans and wasted an entire generation of ballers man. Like fair enough if he gets the job I’m not gonna want him sacked tomorrow but I’ve just spent three weeks fantasising like a shipping clerk in a Chinese opium den, he will be a comedown and a half. 

Other than terry all of the mentioned names would likely do enough to keep us up, martinez and lampard included. 

It seems increasingly likely this appointment will be one for the mid term at best. Maybe there are some bigger names we don't know about or ten Hag is interested. The majority of those linked seem like placeholders until the manager we want becomes available. We have to do what we have to do with what is available right now with where we are at.

10 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'm not sure why that sounds so ridiculous. A manager's record isn't necessarily a reflection of his number two.

Martinez has taken every team he's managed backwards.

Having said that, I've not seen many people describing Jones as great.

is this true?

did he take swansea backwards? wigan backwards? has he taken belgium backwards?

all genuine questions by the way, not having a go ( I know he did at everton after a great first season).

Just now, lovejoy said:

is this true?

did he take swansea backwards? wigan backwards? has he taken belgium backwards?

all genuine questions by the way, not having a go ( I know he did at everton after a great first season).

The simple answer is NO. 

Just now, The Prophet said:

He was sacked from Everton after a run of 1 win in 10, they were 6 points off the drop. It would be the equivalent of saying Pardew did well here.

:thup:

Also his 1 good season there in 2013-14, he went to Everton replacing Moyes. Martinez benefitted from defensive tendencies instilled by Moyes but after those wore off the following season, Everton were a shambles defensively in his last 2 seasons. A bit like Bruce benefitting from Benitez' defensive organisation in 2019-20 pre COVID. That's now wore off. Same sort of thing.

He's miles ahead of Bruce, but it would be even more underwhelming than someone like Howe imo. Should stay well clear.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

He was sacked from Everton after a run of 1 win in 10, they were 6 points off the drop. It would be the equivalent of saying Pardew did well here.

yeah, i'm saying he took everton backwards (after a records points tally in his first season). My question is did he do similar at wigan, swansea and belgium.