Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, Strawberry said:

The simple answer is NO. 

He took Swansea from the third division to the second, left to go to Wigan, won an fa cup and relegated them in the same season. He took over an Everton side that was rigid, compact and built for defending and enjoyed a season of decent form before the defensive wall he’d been left fell apart (sound familiar?). Then he did nothing, spent loads of money on dross, got sacked and went to Belgium, where he made the best group of players available to any country look good in qualifiers but nowhere near good enough to deal with proper elite sides in the late stages of competitions. Now Belgium have aged away their biggest opportunities and people around him are agitating for him to jump before he is pushed. The last part I’ve just pulled out of my arse but I’m writing it anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

He took Swansea from the third division to the second, left to go to Wigan, won an fa cup and relegated them in the same season. He took over an Everton side that was rigid, compact and built for defending and enjoyed a season of decent form before the defensive wall he’d been left fell apart (sound familiar?). Then he did nothing, spent loads of money on dross, got sacked and went to Belgium, where he made the best group of players available to any country look good in qualifiers but nowhere near good enough to deal with proper elite sides in the late stages of competitions. Now Belgium have aged away their biggest opportunities and people around him are agitating for him to jump before he is pushed. The last part I’ve just pulled out of my arse but I’m writing it anyway. 

This in a nutshell.

It's going to be Martinez isn't it. [emoji38]

I suppose he should be good enough to avoid relegation and get us into a comfortable mid-table position, so if he does that he will have done a decent enough job. I'd be very worried going forward after that though, giving him a chequebook. The money we have to spend in these early years needs to be spent incredibly wisely and I could see us wasting tens of millions on garbage like Ross Berkeley under him.

19 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

A big fuck off to Martínez. If Jones is championing him he can fuck off n'al. 

Jones can fuck off big time. The one quote I thought was quite damning from him today was that he "Stresses Bruce was 'always open minded' and 'listened". This indicates to me exactly what I have always thought, in that Jones was a big part of the problem. If it's true that Charnley is conducting the interviews (it's the Chronicle I know), then that is defintely a concern also.  

Edited by et tu brute

Not stressing over what happens next as it can't be worse than last 14 years. They will make mistakes but thinking they will learn and we will improve.

I would have thought they have taken advice on board of what gets us out of relegation battle and can build a bit of a platform.

For now im pretty happy with Not Bruce and hope they get a few wins to take pressure off a bit.

2 minutes ago, Andy said:

Would be disappointed with Martinez too, but surely he isn't going to walk 12 months before a world cup anyway?

if I was him I’d skip my way to Newcastle, but I’m not him so I want him to stay at Belgium so there is one less team England need to worry about in 2022.  

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

There's far more evidence to suggest Martinez would get us relegated than steer us safe given:

a) he's been relegated 

b) he's dragged a decent top half side into a relegation battle.

Evidence would suggest he’d win us our first trophy for 53 years if he takes us down so I’m cool with it.

He ticks a lot of boxes for them in that he knows the league, is known to our current head coach and he is a sporting director (or similar) at belgium and has overseen the total overhaul of their coaching and scouting as well as their new national training centre.

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

There's far more evidence to suggest Martinez would get us relegated than steer us safe given:

a) he's been relegated 

b) he's dragged a decent top half side into a relegation battle.

did he drag Everton into a relegation battle? pretty sure he didn't like.

2015/16 season at Everton: FA Cup semi-final, League Cup semi-final... 11th place in the league on 47 points which matched 2014/15's points total exactly. (Martinez was sacked with the team on 44 points after 37 games)   

Guest reefatoon
9 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Jones can fuck off big time. The one quote I thought was quite damning from him today was that he "Stresses Bruce was 'always open minded' and 'listened". This indicates to me exactly what I have always thought, in that Jones was a big part of the problem. If it's true that Charnley is conducting the interviews (it's the Chronicle I know), then that is defintely a concern also.  

Why the fuck is Charnley doing the interviews? [emoji38]

Thats fucking terrifying.

1 minute ago, nbthree3 said:

2015/16 season at Everton: FA Cup semi-final, League Cup semi-final... 11th place in the league on 47 points which matched 2014/15's points total exactly. (Martinez was sacked with the team on 44 points after 37 games)   

aye. Nowhere near a relegation battle, like.

I get the disappointment (ish) but let’s at least be accurate.

’he’s taken every team backwards’ and ‘relegation battle with Everton’ etc is just bollocks.

1 minute ago, reefatoon said:

Why the fuck is Charnley doing the interviews? [emoji38]

Thats fucking terrifying.

If its true then they really don't know what they are doing. It can't possibly be though. Can it?