Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

When he was binned off, they were 6 points off the relegation zone and had won 1 in 10.

He was binned off with one game if the season left, wasn’t he?

they were 11th or 12th. Neewhere near relegation.

there’s no need for the hyperbole, it’s fine to be underwhelmed (I would be) but let’s be accurate.

The question isn't "is he a half competent manager better than bruce?". It is "is he the best candidate available to us?". The unequivocal answers to those questions are yes and (probably) no. If other candidates rejected us then fair enough, but no way on earth should he be top of anyone's list. 

One of the things about Martinez is the wallopings his PL sides have taken, shipping goals, in particular at Wigan. It's a decent defence that will keep us up and he's shown no real ability so far to organise one.

Taking Wigan down and sending Everton into a spiral don't inspire confidence. At Swansea, he did get a L1 side promoted to the championship, but is that really what we're happy with? Bruce got clubs promoted from the championship to the PL 4 times after all.

I think international football is a completely different thing, but he's not achieved much at Belgium despite having had a once in a lifetime collection of players. Then again, look at Coleman to Sunderland - seemed like a coup for them at the time given his time at Wales, but he quickly reverted to his poor club form once back in club football.

I'd be seriously underwhelmed and wondering;

1. Is he the interim manager to avoid relegation, if that's the aim?

2. If he is supposed to be the long term answer, just what exactly about his credentials would earn him that opportunity?

Just now, lovejoy said:

He was binned off with one game if the season left, wasn’t he?

they were 11th or 12th. Neewhere near relegation.

there’s no need for the hyperbole, it’s fine to be underwhelmed (I would be) but let’s be accurate.

The Everton fans wouldn’t have him back 

1 minute ago, lovejoy said:

aye. Nowhere near a relegation battle, like.

I get the disappointment (ish) but let’s at least be accurate.

’he’s taken every team backwards’ and ‘relegation battle with Everton’ etc is just bollocks.

Didn’t Barkley miss the start of that season aswell.

Not that I would choose Martinez given the names being mentioned, any other season under Ashley then it would be a fair enough for me.

5 minutes ago, lovejoy said:

aye. Nowhere near a relegation battle, like.

I get the disappointment (ish) but let’s at least be accurate.

’he’s taken every team backwards’ and ‘relegation battle with Everton’ etc is just bollocks.

I'd argue other than Swansea he has, but we'll agree to disagree. I personally think he'd be an awful appointment.

30 minutes ago, lovejoy said:

yeah, i'm saying he took everton backwards (after a records points tally in his first season). My question is did he do similar at wigan, swansea and belgium.

At Wigan people seemed to rate him and I never got it. I think you could say he took Wigan backwards - after Jewell brought them up and kept them up, Steve Bruce kept them up, he kept them up a bit then took them down (although he won FAC).

Edited by Inferior Acuña

Guest reefatoon
6 minutes ago, Wandy said:

If its true then they really don't know what they are doing. It can't possibly be though. Can it?

Surely can’t be right. Fancy giving the tea boy any kind of responsibility in the new set up man, would be utter madness and totally worrying. If it’s true, we are going to end up with a right clown. This daft cunt pushed and pushed for McLaren. 

1 minute ago, Inferior Acuña said:

At Wigan people seemed to rate him and I never got it. I think you could say he took Wigan backwards - after Jewell brought them up and kept them up, Steve Bruce kept them up, he kept them up a bit then took them down.

He won them their first ever trophy.

Just now, cubaricho said:

This squad stays up with someone like Martinez in charge. Bruce was the real issue.

That being said, it would be incredibly underwhelming with the other potential candidates we've already heard about.

Why would Martinez keep us up ?

Genuine question btw, because I fail to see any quality he possesses.

6 minutes ago, lovejoy said:

He won them their first ever trophy.

Well sure, and he obviously deserves some credit for that. But the league is 38 games and he took a PL club that Bruce kept up down to the Championship. He also never finished as high as Bruce did with them. (Tho I'm not saying he's worse than Bruce)

I'll get behind him if he comes, but don't see much reason to rate him.

Edited by Inferior Acuña