Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

3 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Did he say “will be”

He also said last week before the Palace game that he had been reassured about his future at NUFC, so I wouldn’t read too much into that and linking it with Bobby Martinez. 

Just now, Danh1 said:

He also said last week before the Palace game that he had been reassured about his future at NUFC, so I wouldn’t read too much into that and linking it with Bobby Martinez. 

Yesterday he said something along the lines of he will be preparing the players for Brighton as either manager or assistant manager which is a bit different from what he said last week.

12 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Also don’t think the main quality the new manager should possess is that he’s simply better than Bruce. Literally loads of managers are doesn’t mean they are good enough.

Good enough to what though? Keep us up? Because that’s the current/overriding objective. That’s not me batting for anyone in particular including Martinez either. People seem to, rightly and more interestingly have different ideas for a change.

Just now, Darth Crooks said:

Good enough to what though? Keep us up? Because that’s the current/overriding objective. That’s not me batting for anyone in particular including Martinez either. People seem to, rightly and more interestingly have different ideas for a change.

Good question actually, I just hope any appointment is a manger good enough to keep us up this season and then have us pushing up the table over the next couple of years and I don’t think Martinez will achieve either of those. Out of all the names linked I have no issue giving anyone a go other than him and Lampard. That’s not to say I won’t get behind them I just have massive concerns about both.

39 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

were arsenal solid under emery?  can't really remember anything about his time, probably cause i'd given up on football

They went on a massive winning/not losing streak I know that, which he seems to do a lot at his various clubs. They were a bit all over the place from what I remember, but I’m sure PEA was at his best under him and he gave a lot of their younger players a chance too. My mate supports them as does my brother-in-law and they both have said he needed more time and money and were disappointed he got the sack. They did look woeful at times though, but not at the level Arteta has had them (under)performing mostly. I’d have him here in a heart beat, he ticks all the boxes, short to medium term and potentially long term. It’s not like he doesn’t have pedigree at the higher level of the game either, especially in Europe where he has won titles.

50 minutes ago, Sima said:

Even his time in Belgium is shite.  For him not to take that squad to a tournament final is a complete failure.

Don't know like, always though they never had the quality of defensive players to kick on the winning stuff.

It's more his time at Everton that concerns me.

Guest reefatoon
24 minutes ago, 54 said:

There are some proper melts in this thread. 3 weeks ago we where stuck with Brucey ball and Ashley, take a chill pill :lol:

Dont understand this thought process. So people should be happy it’s anyone because it isn’t Bruce? Such a strange stance.

11 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Dont understand this thought process. So people should be happy it’s anyone because it isn’t Bruce? Such a strange stance.

Exactly if we wouldn’t want a manager when Ashley was in charge why would it be different now?

22 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Exactly if we wouldn’t want a manager when Ashley was in charge why would it be different now?

Surely the difference is the change in ambition now? 

If an underwhelming manager comes in, they'll soon be out the door if they underperform. It's not like in the previous era where a Martinez would come in and be stuck here forever as long as we were on track to finish 17th. 

I'll get behind any manager on the basis that the correct decisions will be made by the owners if the performances are inadequate. 

1 minute ago, Andy said:

Surely the difference is the change in ambition now? 

If an underwhelming manager comes in, they'll soon be out the door if they underperform. It's not like in the previous era where a Martinez would come in and be stuck here forever as long as we were on track to finish 17th. 

I'll get behind any manager on the basis that the correct decisions will be made by the owners if the performances are inadequate. 

Yeah I understand that and I’m the same but we can still feel disappointed when certain managers are linked and if they where to get the job.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Also don’t think the main quality the new manager should possess is that he’s simply better than Bruce. Literally loads of managers are doesn’t mean they are good enough.

That's why it's taking so long. They're interviewing everybody that is better than Bruce. I'm in at 1pm Tuesday.

10 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

That's why it's taking so long. They're interviewing everybody that is better than Bruce. I'm in at 1pm Tuesday.

Everyone that is better than Bruce you say? :bluestar: Well that's EVERY football manager that has every been or ever will be! ;D

18 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Right after the Gallowgate Pigeon

1 hour ago, 54 said:

There are some proper melts in this thread. 3 weeks ago we where stuck with Brucey ball and Ashley, take a chill pill :lol:

My personal timeliness of managers is:

Keegan

Dalglish 

Gullit 

SBR

Souness

Roeder

Allardyce

Keegan

Kinnear 

Hughton

Pardew

McClaren 

Rafa

Bruce 

Keegan and SBR aside, no other appointment had the consideration these guys seem to be making. I've waited 20+ for this to happen, I can afford to wait a little longer. 

2 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

My personal timeliness of managers is:

Keegan

Dalglish 

Gullit 

SBR

Souness

Roeder

Allardyce

Keegan

Kinnear 

Hughton

Pardew

McClaren 

Rafa

Bruce 

Keegan and SBR aside, no other appointment had the consideration these guys seem to be making. I've waited 20+ for this to happen, I can afford to wait a little longer. 

Not many are complaining with the time it’s taking, the discussion is simply saying for the majority of us we would be unhappy with Martinez which based on his managerial career is a very fair statement.

If its Martinez, I will back him. Hopefully he would get us up the league and then we can see where we are before moving on to phase 2 of the project.

Fwiw, I suspect Martinez is a fantastic coach, I just think he can be naive tactically/defensively.

I still haven't forgiven him for Haidara mind.

27 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not many are complaining with the time it’s taking, the discussion is simply saying for the majority of us we would be unhappy with Martinez which based on his managerial career is a very fair statement.

Oh aye, yeh! 

My bad, should probably have read the full conversation, but yeh, Martinez would be a massive disappointment, if he can't do it with the golden generation of Belgium, I don't know what makes anyone think he could do it with a similar standard of player here. 

46 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Oh aye, yeh! 

My bad, should probably have read the full conversation, but yeh, Martinez would be a massive disappointment, if he can't do it with the golden generation of Belgium, I don't know what makes anyone think he could do it with a similar standard of player here. 

We don't have Belgiums golden generation though.

Martinez might not have the nouce to take a group of stars and get them to win the world cup but many greats have tried that and failed, Fabio Capello anyone?

That's not we would be asking him to do. We want him to sort out our rabble, get them into the top half next season and then aim towards the stars after that.

I've no doubt he's not the man to win the league for us, or even get us into Europe perhaps but he might put the foundations in for the next bloke.

He wouldn't be my choice either FWIW.

Edited by STM

If we knew or they said they'd have a new manager by Brighton or just after I doubt anybody would be overly concerned. Its the vaccum really that's causing this I reckon. The not knowing where we stand in terms of trajectory or organisationally.

There's still a tendency, I do it, to go back to the Dogs of War vibe for a club to get out of trouble, though its probably not the case in modern football Martinez feels like the total opposite of that. The things he's known for, his plusses will not be achievable with these players and in the situation were in, in this time frame. Don't see any point at all in him until the end of the season.

10 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

If we knew or they said they'd have a new manager by Brighton or just after I doubt anybody would be overly concerned. Its the vaccum really that's causing this I reckon. The not knowing where we stand in terms of trajectory or organisationally.

There's still a tendency, I do it, to go back to the Dogs of War vibe for a club to get out of trouble, though its probably not the case in modern football Martinez feels like the total opposite of that. The things he's known for, his plusses will not be achievable with these players and in the situation were in, in this time frame. Don't see any point at all in him until the end of the season.

Isn't he renowned for attacking football? I think he could get a tune going with Wilson, ASM, Almiron and Willock? If we can spend more time in the opponent's half it reduces the pressure on the defence and gives them more time to organise.

Still think that Martinez will want another crack at the World Cup in 12 months time. He took Belgium deep last 2 tournaments and should give himself another shot, he'll never manage a team as good again. 

Hope he does because I'm not particularly keen on him. Obviously he's better than Bruce but that's not the criteria we should be using, the new bloke(s) needs to do a complete root and branch revamp of the entire operation and I simply don't fancy him to be part of that situation. He's not a particularly bad coach or manager I just think there are far far better candidates for the role we need.