Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

7 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Calling Spurs a winnable game is pushing it. We failed to beat Watford, Wolves, Leeds, Aston Villa and Southampton.

With a different manager, especially in the circumstances of that game.

I think Spurs is winnable for anybody generally, except us and Norwich.

Edited by Wolfcastle

2 minutes ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

Spurs were terrible with no confidence. Palace walloped them 3-0 and Arsenal 3-1 in their 2 away games leading up to us.

From memory everyone viewed that as a good opportunity for 3 points and yet 2-3 flattered us massively.

They'd beaten Watford, wolves and Villa.

4 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

I am really not a fan of Emery :lol: but right now things are getting quite desperate, Spurs fire their manager and on the same day they seem to have a replacement ready while our guys seem to be struggling to get the contact number of anyone decent.

This is the kind of thing I mean, we've clearly been interviewing possible candidates, who knows, we might actually be holding out and pushing for the one we really want and it's taking a lot of convincing?   

Nah, they're obviously just sitting about with their thumbs up their arse.  We aren't the same prospect as spurs/man u etc, I'd fully expect them to be able to attract their targets quicker than us. 

Guest reefatoon
Just now, Caleb70 said:

By a couple of hours by the looks of it

Wew, the crazy animals. No first, second or third interviews with a clutch of potential candidates over a period of weeks?  They should have went down the Squid Game process we are doing. Last man standing gets the job.

Spurs are an established club with established structures in place, established DoF’s and chairmen etc.

Ours is under 4 weeks old.

They’d also already spoken to Conte in the summer and have likely been in contact with him since. 

You can’t draw conclusions and comparisons from this 

If we end up with Emery before the weekend then I would say the owners have done a good job of recruiting. He’s the best appointment we can make at this time and rather exciting given his track record. Ideally I would have liked him in weeks ago, but at the international breaks gives time to work on things properly 

1 minute ago, reefatoon said:

Wew, the crazy animals. No first, second or third interviews with a clutch of potential candidates over a period of weeks?  They should have went down the Squid Game process we are doing. Last man standing gets the job.

[emoji38]

People really comparing us hiring a manager at this moment in time, with spurs in their position? 

Seems people have forgotten what a mess of a club we where left with thanks to Ashley.

Wait for the manager to be appointed and then base any criticism of that.

Emery would be the ideal hiring, because his teams are very well balanced and organised and they are decent to watch too, and we'd be a threat to at least threaten to win a cup the quickest with him.

He's basically a younger Benitez :laugh:

13 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

tbf Spurs interviewed everyone there is in the summer.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Emery would be the ideal hiring, because his teams are very well balanced and organised and they are decent to watch too, and we'd be a threat to at least threaten to win a cup the quickest with him.

He's basically a younger Benitez :laugh:

He would also represent the ambition of the new owners as well as in not settling for an out of work manager.

22 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

I am really not a fan of Emery :lol: but right now things are getting quite desperate, Spurs fire their manager and on the same day they seem to have a replacement ready while our guys seem to be struggling to get the contact number of anyone decent.

Spurs are in a totally different position to us on and off the pitch..

If we was top half and had everything in place behind the scenes ..I've no doubt this process would be completed by now.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

He would also represent the ambition of the new owners as well as in not settling for an out of work manager.

Yes, absolutely. Would also make more sense as to why it has taken a bit of time to sort out.

7 minutes ago, Hhtoon said:

Spurs have clearly been plotting in the background plus had probably done most of their homework during the summer recruitment process. Obviously going to make a quicker selection than us.

I agree but to hold Spurs up as well run ignores the fact that they are able to move quickly only because they made such a mess in the summer. A mess in their new manager hunt and a mess of the Kane situation. We need to be aiming to be better than Spurs.

Just now, Dokko said:

tbf Spurs interviewed everyone there is in the summer.

Referred to on Sky just this morning as a “long and protracted saga”, which I seem to remember took a lot longer than three weeks and whereby they constantly flirted between managers with several turning them down. Yet us, in the middle of a season, with a shit shell of a club, and new owners are getting pelters from a percentage of the fan base for not being as quick. 

1 minute ago, Manxst said:

Referred to on Sky just this morning as a “long and protracted saga”, which I seem to remember took a lot longer than three weeks and whereby they constantly flirted between managers with several turning them down. Yet us, in the middle of a season, with a shit shell of a club, and new owners are getting pelters from a percentage of the fan base for not being as quick. 

Negativity and a constant doom and gloom mindset is a hell of a thing to get over for some.

1 minute ago, Gaztoon said:

Spurs are in a totally different position to us on and off the pitch..

If we was top half and had everything in place behind the scenes ..I've no doubt this process would be completed by now.

Spurs always release the name of a manager through the airwaves soon after firing one, only to then go and hire someone completely different. Goodness knows who they will end up with.

If they do get Conte that would be pretty impressive. I'll believe it when I see it though. And if he does join them I'll start the clock on it going tits at some point.

1 minute ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Really wanted (and want) Fonseca but I'd obvs be absolutely thrilled with Emery. 

If the kebab lord hadn't left us in such a state we probably would have given him a shot at it, but ultimately Emery is a top class hire that is an echelon above the Fonz, and I too was a fan of the idea of the Fonz coming in and instilling some fantasy football. Emery is next level though, would be a top notch long term appointment.