Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

I think the Martinez talk is just because of the Jones link. It’s typical lazy journalism.

If they’re being advised to look at the likes of Conte, Ten Hag, Emery, Rafa etc. Martinez doesn’t fit into that category.  He’s probably category B or even C

15 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

Another part time manager is all we don’t need!

Exactly, this is a massive job that requires full commitment, not someone that buggers off every few weeks. Can’t see the ‘richest club in the world’ taking on someone that isn’t full time. 

4 hours ago, Teasy said:

He's a user not an achiever.  He picks the club that can best achieve awards for him rather than the club he can achieve awards for.  Not what we need, I'd take Benitez over him without question. 

Which he has that right given what he has achieved, it’s like saying Pep needs to go to a crap team to prove himself instead of at teams where he can sign anyone when in reality these are elite level managers who want to be managing elite players and teams to achieve success. Given their squad and if they invest well Conte will have them back in the top 4 which is where Spurs are all about aiming to be. 

Thought Emery’s response when asked about our interest yesterday was somewhat interesting.

He just said well the truth is that I do no know. Obviously might be reading a bit too much into it but he had a chance to come out there and then and shoot it down and he didn’t.

Part time depends? If Fonseca can be long term now?

But what if Hag can in the summer and have said yes? Could you take Martinez part time then. 

We have not a clue what the h.... is going on. The club has been stinking for 14 years almost. IT will take time, and i Will prefer Hag in summer with Martinez this year over Fonseca now. 

Long term thinking. 

I think Emery would be the best man for us at the moment. He plays organised football and gets the best out of players if you take into account the villareal teamsheet (players are way below the levels he gets them playing at).

Decent to watch as well.

40 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Thought Emery’s response when asked about our interest yesterday was somewhat interesting.

He just said well the truth is that I do no know. Obviously might be reading a bit too much into it but he had a chance to come out there and then and shoot it down and he didn’t.

Again I think Emery would be a great fit here, he is in the same kind of project type manager bracket as Rafa, knows the league, usually sets solid defensive foundations, but his sides can also attack and he has a wealth of experience over several leagues now and especially in Europe.

He’s quirky and I feel has unfinished business here in our league, I’d be confident he could develop a side to challenge the top 6 over say several transfer windows and maybe even compete for titles and European success. He has regularly demonstrated he is capable of going on long winning/not losing streaks too which we could do with right now. He also has inside knowledge of how PSG operate which we will likely follow that type of model and would be fine with working under a DOF.

He’s a big name too and has managed big elite level players, but importantly seems to do even better with players not of that level so they over perform and has won silverware at European level. There was a reason Arsenal went for him, they just wet the bed early and their transfer recruitment strategy was all over the place during his spell there. Had they stuck with him they’d be back as a top four regular by now I’m sure.

Fonseca excites me for some reason as he’s an unknown quantity and clearly has a self developed style and pattern of how he wants his sides to play which fits with my own ideology, and has shown he’s more than capable of achieving that. Plus statistically managers who have managed in Italy tend to do very well here in our country. That said, he’d be a risk right now as he has no experience of the league and his sides do tend to leak goals. 

Martinez of them all scares me the most, he’s experienced, has worked with Jones and has had a very respectable career as a manager and coach, but his teams tend to play only a certain way and when that isn’t possible, it’s kind of like a boom and then bust situation rather than a boom or bust scenario. He’d give us an instant lift I feel (most would) and a certain attacking identity, but even short-term, I think he’d prove a bad appointment never mind long term which I feel he’d be disastrous.

Gerrard would excite me because of his personality, his leadership, his almost studious like demeanour and of course his standing in the game. I don’t think any player would give nothing but their best under him, or if not would be out the door sharply. What he’s achieved at a crisis club in Rangers has been remarkable, but then you have to factor in the competition level and the huge quality gap between the SPL and the EPL. I like his determined type of mentality though, he is driven by a fear of failure and those type of people usually always look at every option available to succeed and often do that. He could be a cult figure type manager here and could galvanise what is basically a crisis club which we are, just like he has done at Rangers. He seems a more project type manager in the making as well.

Lampard… I rate him actually, but feel he lacks the right kind of personality and leadership qualities to come into a club like ours at such a critical point and be able to turn things around or shape a team with solid foundations going forward from the outset and especially longer term. He’s probably a better coach than a manager and may be or prove to be better suited to international football.

Howe is similar, but with the experience and know-how and a track record that can’t be ignored, he did a magnificent job at Bournemouth, but does he have the character to take on such a job managing NUFC which despite our lack of success and 14 years of shite under Ashley, this is still a huge job and a massive undertaking for any manager, world-class or not.

I know nothing of Favre, ten Haag or some of the other names linked.

Ideally my top choice would be (heart and mind) Emery, or Rafa - more so by heart - as he knows the club, the players, has unfinished business here and brings a whole lot more than just coaching and results, but also a wealth of knowledge who could assist in helping regenerate every aspect of the club from the bottom up, kind of like getting a super coach and DOF for the price of one.

Whoever comes in I’lll support and I’m more than confident that our new owners will never settle for mediocrity or failure and if whoever they appoint doesn’t perform nor the team, they will be replaced. Is this the most crucial appointment of this new era? I don’t think we are at that stage yet. Basically we just need to stay up first and anyone who comes in and keeps us up, that will be a start. Bigger and better days are to come, even if we get get relegated!

Edited by HTT II

43 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Which he has that right given what he has achieved, it’s like saying Pep needs to go to a crap team to prove himself instead of at teams where he can sign anyone when in reality these are elite level managers who want to be managing elite players and teams to achieve success. Given their squad and if they invest well Conte will have them back in the top 4 which is where Spurs are all about aiming to be. 

Maybe Pep should do that.  His entire career has been like playing FM with all the cheat modes on. He's always been able to choose or buy the best players at the best clubs. 

It would be interesting to see how he'd do at a club where he has to make do, and cant simply go and buy a backup for 50M if one of his best players gets injured.

4 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Maybe Pep should do that.  His entire career has been like playing FM with all the cheat modes on. He's always been able to choose or buy the best players at the best clubs. 

It would be interesting to see how he'd do at a club where he has to make do, and cant simply go and buy a backup for 50M if one of his best players gets injured.

There is an argument/debate around that, but why should he or why does he need to? To prove what, that he can make a poor team a bit better? People like him and clubs who appoint managers like him and players they sign or want to play for him are in the business of winning and have earned that ‘entitlement’ if you like. It would be really interesting and cool for example if he joined a club/team like ours and turned them around, the same applies to Conte, but again, why should they or need to when their pedigree speaks for itself regardless fullstop.

I don’t think Emery would mind leaving Villarreal, so from those who are under contract, he should be much easier to get than for example ten Hag. But I think we should go all-in for ten Hag, because he is that sort of manager that could change this whole club to new level.

Obviously Ralf Rangnick as DoF with Hasenhüttl as manager would be excellent too.

Edited by Elephant

Regarding a few other managers linked… I feel Rodgers would be more akin to an Emery or Rafa as well, although I think he has a certain ceiling which no matter what club he’s at or the spend, will not amount to the kind of long-term or continued success at the highest level befitting such bigger clubs and the kind of spending required to get there. I think he’s probably took Leicester as far as they can go under him and would come here and elevate the club to that kind of level over a few years, but not much more. Of course, that’s what we need and should aspire to right now, so he’d be a great fit.

Potter intrigues me because he’s done a great job at Brighton, I like how they play and feel he can do much better at a higher level, but he’d be a short-term risk right now too for my liking as he’s the type who needs the right players and the right environment to get things clicking and do we have such time right now when there are potentially better/more suitable candidates at this juncture?

3 minutes ago, Elephant said:

I don’t think Emery would mind leaving Villarreal, so from those who are under contract, he should be much easier to get than for example ten Hag. But I think we should go all-in for ten Hag, because he is that sort of manager that could change this whole club to new level.

Obviously Ralf Rangnick as DoF with Hasenhüttl as manager would be excellent too.

He’s done a decent job at Southampton. But he’d be an underwhelming appointment a risky too at this stage. I’d rather give it to someone temporary until the end of the season just to keep us up than someone like him long term. ten Hag, again I know little of, what I do, he’d obviously be very exciting and is highly rated, but Dutch managers don’t tend to do the greatest of jobs in our country and I feel he is someone who fits better with many other factors combined to be as successful as he has been, DOF, competition, youth system, set up etc. We don’t have that and can’t just automatically buy that and put it all in place right now. He’d be a risk factor for me at this stage.

As a temporary option, as crazy as it sounds, KK would keep us up I feel and would be a sound and wise head on shoulders type appointment right about now to advise the owners on player recruitment and the commercial structure at least with an option to have him heading up the commercial side in some capacity. I know he’s been out of the game a while, but you don’t just lose the knowledge of football and what it’s all about by not watching a few games and as a businessman himself, he knows that side of the game better than most.

Edited by HTT II

Keegan would be a horrific choice. I'm sorry but it has to be said.

The whole premise of wanting KK seems to be "he'd get a tune out of the players". Why would he? They aren't Newcastle fans like we are. To them he's just another guy. Most weren't even born when he took over here the first time.

It'd be a disaster.

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

As a temporary option, as crazy as it sounds, KK would keep us up I feel and would be a sound and wise head on shoulders type appointment right about now to advise the owners on player re recruitment and the commercial structure at least with an option to have him heading up the commercial side in some capacity. 

Wed look pretty stupid if after 3 weeks of looking we appointed Keegan. The Time for that was days after the takeover, if we had Wed have beat Tottenham and possibly Palace imo. 

6 minutes ago, Chicane said:

Keegan would be a horrific choice. I'm sorry but it has to be said.

The whole premise of wanting KK seems to be "he'd get a tune out of the players". Why would he? They aren't Newcastle fans like we are. To them he's just another guy. Most weren't even born when he took over here the first time.

It'd be a disaster.

Step away from the daft and crazy KK factor and you will have a man that knows how to utilise players to the best of their ability, man manage and take the focus off of them and get results. I agree it would be a crazy appointment, but short-term, just to steer the ship so to speak, he’d do the job more than well enough IMO. For what it’s worth I’d like him to be in some role at the club, other than as manager, but given the topic, he’d again do what’s needed to keep us up in the short-term if not the long-term, of anyone. 

Edited by HTT II

8 minutes ago, HTT II said:

As a temporary option, as crazy as it sounds, KK would keep us up I feel and would be a sound and wise head on shoulders type appointment right about now to advise the owners on player re recruitment and the commercial structure at least with an option to have him heading up the commercial side in some capacity. 

No, just no.

It'll make people want us to fail even more and if he doesn't start getting results the pressure from the dickhead press will be ridiculous. 

He needs to be brought in as a figurehead type upstairs.

6 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Wed look pretty stupid if after 3 weeks of looking we appointed Keegan. The Time for that was days after the takeover, if we had Wed have beat Tottenham and possibly Palace imo. 

It would maybe reveal a few things. Incompetency, that no-one worth their salt wants the job and that maybe, just maybe, we are fucked, but I wouldn’t, don’t and won’t give a flying fuck whatever anyone else thinks of us and what’s going on at our club. 

The whole thing of 'never go back' shouldn't apply to Rafa. Most times a club parts with a manager it's because they've reached the end of the road, a natural point at which the manger can't take the club any further.

In our case it was an ambitious Rafa heavily invested in us and our future and desperate to build us into something formidable, and a bellend owner making one of the most ridiculous decisions of the PL era in forcing him out. There is genuine unfinished business here for Rafa and he was only just getting started. It's a perfect, natural fit and a total no-brainer if he was available.

Keegan on the other hand, just no!