Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Arsenal fan (Not the RTG in peace type) who's lived up north near Gateshead so love Newcastle too. Very capable manager chased away by fans who didn't appreciate how poor the squad was and by players with a shocking attitude who have since been shipped out. So happy to see him land on his feet at a big club with a huge transfer bounty hopefully. His English is far better than the media would have you believe, Good ebening's aside, he was easily able to communicate what he wanted to say without the use of a translator.

I will say though, seeing how some of you dislike defensive football that he's not the most aggressive manager. We had some shocking games with 20-30 shots against, but that was also possibly because of players possibly not playing for him. But he has a 'pragmatic' attitude which Tets also has.

Still, he easily outmanaged Tets in the Europa League game. Easily a top manager imo, and probably the best you can get with Dummett and Shelvey still in the squad. I think I can easily say that he'll have you top 6 in a couple of years if backed with money and if you survive relegation (Big ifs coz you guys look dreadful currently) 

Edited by TopSnagger
Clarifying in two years

3 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Make it sound 60/40 in favour of happening lol

Just can't understand why it's all been leaked today rather than tomorrow. It isn't helpful to anyone.. Maybe to test fan/public reaction? If he really is a bit undecided, I would be pissed he has been put in an awkward position before an important match tonight.

I am still in a likely unnecessary flap panic mode from the last few years though and not believing anything until its announced!

I’m assuming it’s pretty much done if he originally turned us down and we have gone back.

10 minutes ago, TopSnagger said:

Arsenal fan (Not the RTG in peace type) who's lived up north near Gateshead so love Newcastle too. Very capable manager chased away by fans who didn't appreciate how poor the squad was and by players with a shocking attitude who have since been shipped out. So happy to see him land on his feet at a big club with a huge transfer bounty hopefully. His English is far better than the media would have you believe, Good ebening's aside, he was easily able to communicate what he wanted to say without the use of a translator.

I will say though, seeing how some of you dislike defensive football that he's not the most aggressive manager. We had some shocking games with 20-30 shots against, but that was also possibly because of players possibly not playing for him. But he has a 'pragmatic' attitude which Tets also has.

Still, he easily outmanaged Tets in the Europa League game. Easily a top manager imo, and probably the best you can get with Dummett and Shelvey still in the squad. I think I can easily say that he'll have you top 6 in a couple of years if backed with money and if you survive relegation (Big ifs coz you guys look dreadful currently) 

We don't dislike defensive football as long as there is a plan, like Rafa.

Edited by Rocker

3 minutes ago, Rocker said:

We don't dislike defensive football, as long as there is a plan, like Rafa.

Yeah if the assumption about disliking negative football has come from the Bruce days, then the media have done him (another) favour. There's defensive football and then there's terrible football. 

Just now, Rocker said:

Then hopefully it goes well. Emery started pretty well with us, we had two losses then that long unbeaten run. He did well till we had Ramsey, then after he left, we had some shocking, shocking games. There was a Watford game we drew iirc, but we conceded like 30 shots to like 4 for us or something. Maybe I'm overstating how bad it was from memory though.

He had an awful habit of the team sitting back after scoring then we conceded eventually. But he probably has to get a new system for this season for you guys. Bellerin had the season of his life under Emery before he was injured, because he had wingbacks up and crossing. Don't follow NUFC much, but pretty sure you guys have horribly fullbacks like Dummett (Though I will probably be wrong, I don't follow you guys a lot). 

That said, if he can get Willock to do the Ramsey thing, Wilson firing and fullbacks with good, low crosses into Willock's runs and Wilson, I think he can do well. No idea how he'll do in a relegation scenario though.

But I think most of us probably thought the same for Benitez when he went to Newcastle and he improved over Mclaren so no idea how far the conventional bring in the English lads to save from relegation logic even works.

1 minute ago, TotalWar said:

Ive talked in other threads about excitement.

The proposed appointment of Emery, and the excitement it seems to have generated in many on here made me think of all the managerial appointments Ive seen as a supporter, and which of them excited me on appointment. i think its fair to say that mostly I was far more delighted to see them be sacked than become manager.

Even a manager like Arthur Cox who I really loved, was obviously very much a meh appointment.

Keegan first time, was such an unknown quantity, but, yes, I was excited.

There was a feeling that Dalglish would turn us in to title winners, but Im not sure anyone was excited.

Bobby Robson was obviously exciting.

Keegan second time, again exciting, as that was in the time that Ashley was engaged with the club.

Rafa, seemed like a beacon of light, and so was exciting, with the caveat that Ashley just didnt care and wouldnt support him.

Emery, I feel excited. Great appointment if it happens, a statement of intent.

so out of 20 off fulltime managers, four of them were exciting to me when they were appointed. Emery is one of them. So if you feel excited at the prospect, enjoy it, it hasnt happened too often.

Tbf I was all in for Sexy Futball when Gullit came. How terribly that went.

3 minutes ago, Rocker said:

Seems similar but Emery is a bit more forward thinking than Rafa. It will be polar opposite to what we have had in every aspect. That is needed. I hope he is a bit more personable that Rafa and some ex players have said about him. We need some militance right now though no doubt. 

1 minute ago, TotalWar said:

Ive talked in other threads about excitement.

The proposed appointment of Emery, and the excitement it seems to have generated in many on here made me think of all the managerial appointments Ive seen as a supporter, and which of them excited me on appointment. i think its fair to say that mostly I was far more delighted to see them be sacked than become manager.

Even a manager like Arthur Cox who I really loved, was obviously very much a meh appointment.

Keegan first time, was such an unknown quantity, but, yes, I was excited.

There was a feeling that Dalglish would turn us in to title winners, but Im not sure anyone was excited.

Bobby Robson was obviously exciting.

Keegan second time, again exciting, as that was in the time that Ashley was engaged with the club.

Rafa, seemed like a beacon of light, and so was exciting, with the caveat that Ashley just didnt care and wouldnt support him.

Emery, I feel excited. Great appointment if it happens, a statement of intent.

so out of 20 off fulltime managers, four of them were exciting to me when they were appointed. Emery is one of them. So if you feel excited at the prospect, enjoy it, it hasnt happened too often.

Ruud Gullit was exciting as fuck. Sexy football. Bobby was amazing as well. Keegan coming back, still remember it. This doesn't come anywhere as close as any of them but I've had the life sucked  out of me football wise so this is expected.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Yeah if the assumption about disliking negative football has come from the Bruce days, then the media have done him (another) favour. There's defensive football and then there's terrible football. 

We soaked up City (at home, Rafa's last season) and Hayden and Longstaff played their team off the park. We battled, we fought, and we not only equalized in 2nd half but won the match. Rafa masterclass. 

Our fans appreciate a plan, a team that carries out the plan, and ultimately we will always back that.

Best of what Emery did at us (Were some awful moments in between too). But you'll notice fullbacks pushing up high and overlapping and sending in many short crosses 

He's also very open with his feelings on the touchline 

Edited by TopSnagger

Just now, christ said:

It’s going to be interesting watching him try and impose that style on our current squad. And by interesting I mean equal parts comical and infuriating.

It was brutal to watch early on with frankly much better players when he tried it at ours. How is Dubravka with the ball at his feet? He infuriatingly wanted us to pass the ball to the centerback inside the box almost all the time and it was fucking scary to watch. Watching Cech playing out to Mustafi who will play it to Xhaka was equal parts scary and hilarious. 

2 minutes ago, TopSnagger said:

It was brutal to watch early on with frankly much better players when he tried it at ours. How is Dubravka with the ball at his feet? He infuriatingly wanted us to pass the ball to the centerback inside the box almost all the time and it was fucking scary to watch. Watching Cech playing out to Mustafi who will play it to Xhaka was equal parts scary and hilarious. 

Dubravka can play out from the back. It’s one of the reasons Rafa signed him. Darlow on the other hand…

We don’t have any real pace at the back and I don’t think any of our defenders could adapt to a pressing game. We’ll have to spend in Jan.