Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

15 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

"That decision means Newcastle must begin their managerial search again."

That's got to be an overstatement--I hope.  They'd have to know nothing is ever done until it's done and would be similarly far down the road on a deal with Howe or whomever else--I hope.

9 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Feeling much better about Howe now. Was gutted this morning but fuck it, let’s get behind Eddie.

Just be good to have someone external come in and try and do something different with the players. 

I'm the same.

I've watched some videos of him and he seems really methodical.

Saw one interview with him and Lineker and Howe said he gets to the training ground at 6am and will be there until 7pm. 

Polar opposite to Bruce and could be an exciting appointment. Would be good to have him in the stand at the weekend if we can't get it done in time to have him in the dugout.

Guest reefatoon

Like someone mentioned, if it’s Howe I really hope he comes with a new coaching team. A fresh new clean take on it all with nobody we currently have kept on, and I will be more than happy.

Just now, Geordie_once_removed said:

The issue with Howe for me, and apologies if it has been said by someone before, is two fold.

1. I feel would have just about been attainable under Ashley.  So to end up with him after we've made something of a Fautian pack with this takeover is disappointing.  Robert Johnson didn't sell his soul to be really good at the recorder did he.

2. We could easily end up with a Nuno at Spurs situation, with it being pretty clear he was quite far down the list and his authority and therefore ability to change things severely diminished as a result.

I think we're giving Ashley way too much credit when it comes to appointing Howe. Think Howe would have flat out rejected him :lol:

Howe under Ashley would have had nothing to spend, no improvements to any areas of the club whatsoever, fans all still pissed off and fed up with everything. Don't think it would have been feasible at all.

Howe seems like he is being quite selective over his next move.

10 minutes ago, Wilson said:

Trying to keep off here for this exact reason, jumped on and seen this.  Very well put.  People blaming them for leaking everything (despited not knowing) and accusing them of getting everything wrong is, as you say, embarrassing.

Cheers for putting it in better words than I could have.

It's the same as people accusing them of indecision and dithering, when we don't have a scooby what's been happening behind the scenes.

They're not above criticism and they need to cut the leaks out, but some of it has been over the top.

Edited by The Prophet

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

I think we're giving Ashley way too much credit when it comes to appointing Howe. Think Howe would have flat out rejected him :lol:

Howe under Ashley would have had nothing to spend, no improvements to any areas of the club whatsoever, fans all still pissed off and fed up with everything. Don't think it would have been feasible at all.

I agree, don’t think for one minute he would’ve came here under that fat whopper.

I don’t think the criticism is particularly unfair like. 

We’re a whole month in and we’ve failed to make a single footballing appointment. I’m not surprised Emery had reservations, it’s fairly obvious the plan isn’t there yet.

How can we convince top players and managers to join if we don’t have a DoF, or any equivalent role, if that’s a structure we’re looking at? How can our plans be set if the key people involved in those plans aren’t even through the door?

I get the manager appointment couldn’t be done imminently. But I fail to believe the consortium haven’t had a single person lined up for a role in the club.

Unless they get their act together soon and make the right appointments, we might very well be the richest team in the Championship.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

Mood swing tonight man 😂 

it’s brilliant we all now care and have an opinion which I absolutely love but at the end of the day there is completely fuck all we can do about it 

we will be what we will be, the people making the decisions will make mistakes, that to me makes them human, unlike the fuckwits we’ve endured for 14 years, give them time, respect and they will make all the fragments of our beloved club fit back together 

all this will be a bad dream in 5 years I’m convinced of that

peace out 

1 minute ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

I'm the same.

I've watched some videos of him and he seems really methodical.

Saw one interview with him and Lineker and Howe said he gets to the training ground at 6am and will be there until 7pm. 

Polar opposite to Bruce and could be an exciting appointment. Would be good to have him in the stand at the weekend if we can't get it done in time to have him in the dugout.

Same, impressed by what I've seen and from what I can tell Bournemouth were very unlucky in his final season with injuries and big signings not working out, seems like the supporters generally didn't blame him for it, wished him well and thought he would go on to better things. It's a rare thing for a manager to leave on good terms with the supporters like that and I think it says a lot.

12 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I take your point and I did say 'just about', clearly the fat man would have had to either lie through his teeth (not difficult for him) or shifted his approach to running the club to get him.

I was as much talking about no directly footballing things. We can all agree there was a distinct lack of imagination under Ashley and so is as much the Howe would have occurred to the dulled imaginations of Ashley and co. as he is British and available.

3 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

I don’t think the criticism is particularly unfair like. 

We’re a whole month in and we’ve failed to make a single footballing appointment. I’m not surprised Emery had reservations, it’s fairly obvious the plan isn’t there yet.

How can we convince top players and managers to join if we don’t have a DoF, or any equivalent role, if that’s a structure we’re looking at? How can our plans be set if the key people involved in those plans aren’t even through the door?

I get the manager appointment couldn’t be done imminently. But I fail to believe the consortium haven’t had a single person lined up for a role in the club.

Unless they get their act together soon and make the right appointments, we might very well be the richest team in the Championship.

Do you not think a lot of that is down to the state of the club they've inherited? 

In an ideal world, you start at the top, appoint a CEO and work your way down the pecking order and I'd imagine that's exactly what they would have done.

Unfortunately, they bought a club winless in eight and the manager and the interim manager haven't been capable of buying them any time, so they're immediately on the back foot. They need to start with a manager, which is far from ideal.

I guess this is basic but if he doesn’t want to manage us then he can go fuck himself. This is some incredible project for someone to take on and if he’d rather sit with his mid table Spanish club, so be it. I back whoever takes this on and they have all my love and support. 

Wasn't Howe as close to becoming Celtic manager as Emery was to being our manager? I'm not convinced he'll come like, I've seen Martinez's name too often and it feels like it'll end up being him purely because I can't stand him 

Edited by kisearch

Just now, The Prophet said:

Do you not think a lot of that is down to the state of the club they've inherited? 

In an ideal world, you start at the top, appoint a CEO and work your way down the pecking order and I'd imagine that's exactly what they would have done.

Unfortunately, they bought a club winless in eight and the manager and the interim manager haven't been capable of buying them any time, so they're immediately on the back foot. They need to start with a manager, which is far from ideal.

Well, they would have known that four weeks ago. They were clear Bruce was going to be peddled from the start.

If their intention was to start with a manager, why did it take so long to sack Bruce and/or recruit one?

We shouldn’t be sat here four weeks in without any sort of appointment made.

2 minutes ago, kisearch said:

Wasn't Howe as close to becoming Celtic manager as Emery was to being our manager? I'm not convinced he'll come like, I've seen Martinez's name too often and it feels like it'll end up being him purely because I can't stand him 

I think so https://theathletic.com/2620353/2021/05/29/why-eddie-howe-is-not-going-to-celtic-and-why-ange-postecoglou-might-be/

Eddie Howe, too, felt honoured to be approached by Celtic — first, tentatively, last November, when he declined on the basis that he was only three months into a career break after leaving Bournemouth following last season’s relegation from the Premier League, and then far more seriously in March after Lennon was sacked. From the first round of discussions with the club’s Irish owner Dermot Desmond, Celtic captured his imagination.

Howe isn’t a Celtic man. He didn’t play for the club, as Tony Mowbray and Lennon had, and he wasn’t raised in a Catholic community in Northern Ireland and immersed in the club’s history, like O’Neill, Rodgers and Lennon were. He took a more objective view of the club and he too quickly formed the view that it would be a wonderful job to take if the conditions were right.

But Howe was never persuaded that the conditions were right. For all the feverish speculation about an appointment being imminent from the start of April, there was never a “done deal”. There were always significant hurdles to overcome and, while Celtic were willing to give him time in the hope of reaching a positive outcome, the process slowly meandered towards the point where both sides needed clarity.

Howe urged Celtic to hire an experienced operator as director of football to help with an aggressive overhaul of a squad that finished 27 points adrift of champions Rangers this season. He lobbied strongly for Celtic to appoint Bournemouth technical director Richard Hughes, but the former Scotland midfielder rejected an approach to return to his native Glasgow several weeks ago.

That didn’t end Celtic’s discussions with Howe by any means, but it was the first significant setback on the road that ended with that statement last night.

Howe was also frustrated in his efforts to assemble a coaching team, although it is not yet clear why this proved so problematic. Stephen Purches and Simon Weatherstone, who were on his backroom staff at Bournemouth, are understood to have been keen to follow him to Celtic.

In addition to those two, Howe hoped to be able to appoint an assistant manager. That was felt unlikely to be Jason Tindall, his right-hand man for many years, who is currently at Sheffield United and wants to pursue his own management ambitions after a brief spell as Howe’s successor at Bournemouth this season. Alternatives were considered but, for one reason or another, no deal was struck and, ultimately, there is no deal with Howe either.

Edited by nbthree3