Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

The owners are 'taking stock' before deciding whether to appoint Howe, according to the Beeb.

May as well at this point. Not like he’ll be in the dugout for Brighton now. 

12 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It was the same with Spurs in the summer to be fair, they made their manager hunt sound like a fiasco.

Aye, really is a nasty side to way things get reported, everything is just negative.

I’m concerned at the way all this has played out but I’m not overly upset about Emery. Good coach for sure but just something about him I can’t warm to. I don’t ever want any player or manager who doesn’t want to be here.

To me, it sounded like he didn’t have total faith in himself to turn this situation around, worried about a sack clause if relegated? If he’s all that, that shouldn’t have even been an issue.

Staveley and co, good people used to dealing in certain circles. I think they’ll learn massively from this, they have to. The egos in football are unlike anything they’ve ever dealt with. This is why they urgently need a strong CEO to be front line for dealing with this stuff.

I'd still prefer Fonseca, he's attack minded and wear's Zorro outfits to press conferences, what's not to like? If it has to be Howe though then so be it, as has been said, he's an improvement on Bruce, just hope he's enough of an improvement to keep the crowd happy and hopefully save us from relegation. 

2 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Howe is a no excitement appointment. Will probably keep us up which is the main goal this season but I can't imagine him signing great players.

I think signing 'great' players is a few seasons away.
What we need is someone to help grow the club to a point where the club, as much as it's manager, becomes the big selling point.

6 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

I'd still prefer Fonseca, he's attack minded and wear's Zorro outfits to press conferences, what's not to like? If it has to be Howe though then so be it, as has been said, he's an improvement on Bruce, just hope he's enough of an improvement to keep the crowd happy and hopefully save us from relegation. 

Those are huge positives (especially the Zorro thing) and he seems like a really passionate manager with a plan to boot. Alas......

Will be quite positive if it's Howe.

Young manager who has done some good things and looks like he has potential to grow. Should hopefully be able to make a quick impact which is important given our current plight.

Important to remember that this doesn't necessarily have to be the manager that takes us to the CL and winning trophies. So much change needs to happen at the club before that's something we can realistically aim for, if he comes in and keeps us up and gets us looking like a team with some semblance of a plan while we rebuild the squad for a couple of years that'll be an important job done.

Maybe he'll take a step forward as a manager at a club with more resources and become a top boss. If so, great. If not, that'll become evident in time and we'll hopefully be better able to attract a Ten Hag or Emery level manager by then.

Howe would be fine. I can't pretend to be excited given the shambolic search but I think he'd be fine. I would expect that he would help us crawl rather than walk, and he certainly wouldn't be the man to take us to the upper echelon. 

Not vehemently against Howe being appointed but I just don't see a manager that will be able to give us the edge and steel we desperately need for a relegation battle. 

What he did at Bournemouth was genuinely impressive irrespective of net outlay and their eventual relegation, but what can't be ignored is the fact that when he was managing, he was up against a closed shop top 6 and 14 others all capable of beating each other, you look at the league now and it's a far more settled top 10/11, with most of those teams having settled squads with plenty of quality throughout them, a top manager or in most cases both. Outside of those top 10/11 you then have 3-4 teams with some real top quality players in their side. 

Getting us out this predicament is not gonna be an easy task and I just can't see how Howe would bring us to the performance level we'd need to compete against these teams. 

Edited by Thumbheed

17 minutes ago, Memphis said:

Howe would be fine. I can't pretend to be excited given the shambolic search but I think he'd be fine. I would expect that he would help us crawl rather than walk, and he certainly wouldn't be the man to take us to the upper echelon. 

Shambolic search? Hyperbole much?

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

I wonder what happened with Favre. Perhaps the lack of PL experience put them off.

Every foreign manager, when they first come, is in the same boat, some succeed very well and some don’t. However you see UK managers like Bruce (with tons of Premier League experience) failing time and time again. If a manager is good enough and has a decent track record of results, player/team development, tactics, in play management etc etc and at a decent level, then that should be first priority when hiring, not what League they have not managed in.

Edited by et tu brute

16 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Shambolic search? Hyperbole much?

I think spending three weeks to find the right person, only to have it publicly end in said person pulling out with a flourish while much of the observing media/clubs cackled at our club is shambolic, yes. It doesn't mean that it's entirely Staveley et al's fault, but it is a pretty shabby situation.

I don't think that's hyperbolic. 

And if a forensic search of the world's top managers ends in us hiring Eddie Howe after three weeks of stasis and dropped points, well, that's not exactly an amazing outcome. 

Edited by Memphis

13 minutes ago, Memphis said:

I think spending three weeks to find the right person, only to have it publicly end in said person pulling out with a flourish while much of the observing media/clubs cackled at our club is shambolic, yes. It doesn't mean that it's entirely Staveley et al's fault, but it is a pretty shabby situation.

I don't think that's hyperbolic. 

And if a forensic search of the world's top managers ends in us hiring Eddie Howe after three weeks of stasis and dropped points, well, that's not exactly an amazing outcome. 

Life's not about the destination.. all about the process... trust the process. 

Oh wait we are over that now. 

I don't agree with the outcome assessment though. Absolutely nothing wrong with taking the time and assessing all options, trying for the best options. We were obviously close with at least one big top tier managers and many conversations could have been, "not at this time" and might pay dividends later. I don't think anyone would want us to have picked a 10th choice without asking and going through checks aiming for better, nor should that have happened. That's truly limited thinking imo and a proper 🚩

If anything it has given the owners more links and contacts while giving them a true idea of where and how the club is viewed by managers/agents etc. Noone was getting radically different results from our last two fixtures.

I expect none of us (owners included) really knew exactly who would be interested, we are where we are and hopefully whomever they get is the best available and we all back that. I just hope they get it sorted this week either way.