Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 hour ago, kisearch said:

This is what I can't get my head around. If he's turned down numerous jobs so that he can get the right opportunity, why would this situation be the right opportunity for him? It doesn't really make any sense. 

Why would taking on the richest club in the world make sense? :lol:

He’s soon going to have access to a level of spending power and calibre of player he’d not get anywhere else.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

I'd go to Everton and offer them want they want to get Rafa - just looked on that grandoldteam forum and they absolutely despise him (and have done since his appointment) - it'll be interesting to see what happens if we still haven't got a manager by Monday and Spurs hammer them at Goodison on Sunday!

What @KaKa has been posting re: Howe is spot on.

I was very excited about Emery and very disappointed when he bailed.  Yeah, I think he bailed.  He's at a club he loves, in an area his family is comfortable so I totally understand why he got cold feet.  Count me amongst those who will think he'll regret his decision on a professional level.  Such is the potential the club has.  

One guy wants to be here, a bunch of others didn't.  Within reason, I'll take the guy who wants to be here.  Howe, on a slightly smaller scale, I'll grant you that, has done what the consortium are looking for.  He taken a team up through the tiers, punching above it's weight while keeping an eye on building for the future.  He's impressed them with his vision and the detail of how to take the club from A to B to C, etc.  Does he get to run the whole show?  No.  Someone like McParland is likely to come on board in some kind of role and a DoF will also be hired.  Howe will likely have a say in who comes in but won't be responsible for running that part of the show.  He will focus on on the field operations and have a hand in some other processes.  He not a sexy continental guy.  doesn't have wavy hair and speak with an accent.  He's also not a dodgy PFM with narrow vision and lack of imagination.

No one coming in right now is guaranteed success, bar Rafa.  I don't see Howe as a safety net pick.  I see him as one of a few very good choices looked at by the consortium and I think he has some solid credentials from his time at Bournemouth, He has some dynamism and al lot of smarts too.

4 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Why would taking on the richest club in the world make sense? :lol:

He’s soon going to have access to a level of spending power and calibre of player he’d not get anywhere else.

I would totally agree with the whole world's richest club thing if we weren't 6 points from safety and 10 games from the transfer window. It's these games from now until then that will define everything, including the players who will want to come, and what make it a big risk for him. As someone else said though, it's high risk, high reward. This job could make or break him. At this stage considering the other jobs he's turned down, I don't see him taking it, but we'll see. 

Edited by kisearch

1 minute ago, B-more Mag said:

The thing that stings about Rafa is that where we are right now (not league position, but the people in control now and project opportunity) is totally the event he was looking for.

And hes at a club he won't ever be accepted or loved

Just now, B-more Mag said:

The thing that stings about Rafa is that where we are right now (not league position, but the people in control now and project opportunity) is totally the event he was looking for.

It was his job , can't blame him for giving up and taking over at Everton.. 2 months ago this takeover was dead.

2 minutes ago, kisearch said:

I would totally agree with the whole world's richest club thing if we weren't 6 points from safety and 10 games from the transfer window. It's these games from now until then that will define everything, including the players who will want to come, and what make it a big risk for him. As someone else said though, it's high risk, high reward. This job could make or break him. At this stage considering the other jobs he's turned down, I don't see him taking it, but we'll see. 

If he succeeds he’s hit the jackpot literally. If it goes wrong I’m sure he’d still get a shot at someone like Southampton or Brighton within a year or so. 

I like Howe, wasn't keen at first but I have a feeling he'll do well here if he gets the job. He has an excellent personality and come across as tactically very smart but in no way arrogant. He's certainly done enough in his career to earn this kind of opportunity and he doesn't seem a lazy manager in any way. In fact I think he has rafa levels of maticulus planning. 

Definitely a modern manager and not the Bruce, Allardyce type so would be very happy if he's the man. 

From what I remember Bournemouth were a tricky team to beat for many teams, they attacked well and often too with a bang average squad. 

Edited by Scotty66

New owners always said this was a work in progress. Championship squad. 4th division facilities and a perilous league position is not conducive to a superstar manager. 

let’s get back to basics. Steady the ship. Hopefully survive this season and put the building blocks of aiming for top half over the next few years. 

Hopefully we have owners who follow our mantra of having a club that tries. 

Edited by RS

1 minute ago, jarrovianmag said:

At least Howe knows how to get the best out of Wilson and Fraser

"[Fraser] has now played his last game for the football club. He won't be involved with us for the last nine games," Howe said.

"I only want players who are fully focused on the relegation battle we have ahead and I'm looking forward to doing that with my squad."

2 minutes ago, James said:

I believe Howe would be Sir Bobby’s first choice  fwiw

Ffs [emoji38]

Just picturing when Howe is appointed and the spirits of Bobby, Darth Vader and Yoda are all standing there in agreement.

2005966c72bb4d609b3bc7fdd9dd87c4.jpg

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_AFC_Bournemouth_season

I don’t see how injuries can explain the run of form there. The numbers are insane. Lost 20 out of 26 consecutive. That is on his head. Pardew Bruce or McClaren never went that bad 

Context is everything though, he’d been there a while maybe it was near the end anyway

I’m not really surprised the club are taking the line that the board were split over who to appoint out of Howe/Emery. Hope’s article said he interviewed better etc etc. 

I don’t necessarily believe it but the important thing now is they appoint Howe quickly to give him time to implement his strategy. I was really really disappointed after getting caught up with the idea of having Emery as our manager but the reality of the situation is (Rafa aside) Howe will be our best managerial appointment since Sir Bobby. 

Hopefully he gets enough of a reaction to keep us up. 

Just now, ManDoon said:

It is yeah but that is seriously bad no matter what way you look at it. I was previously a big fan of his, but I just remember he looked like he had no idea how to fix it when it went wrong 

Mate if we get 3-4 seasons of progress out of him before that happens then I’m happy, although he seems to be able to reflect and change.

8 minutes ago, Consortium of one said:

What @KaKa has been posting re: Howe is spot on.

I was very excited about Emery and very disappointed when he bailed.  Yeah, I think he bailed.  He's at a club he loves, in an area his family is comfortable so I totally understand why he got cold feet.  Count me amongst those who will think he'll regret his decision on a professional level.  Such is the potential the club has.  

One guy wants to be here, a bunch of others didn't.  Within reason, I'll take the guy who wants to be here.  Howe, on a slightly smaller scale, I'll grant you that, has done what the consortium are looking for.  He taken a team up through the tiers, punching above it's weight while keeping an eye on building for the future.  He's impressed them with his vision and the detail of how to take the club from A to B to C, etc.  Does he get to run the whole show?  No.  Someone like McParland is likely to come on board in some kind of role and a DoF will also be hired.  Howe will likely have a say in who comes in but won't be responsible for running that part of the show.  He will focus on on the field operations and have a hand in some other processes.  He not a sexy continental guy.  doesn't have wavy hair and speak with an accent.  He's also not a dodgy PFM with narrow vision and lack of imagination.

No one coming in right now is guaranteed success, bar Rafa.  I don't see Howe as a safety net pick.  I see him as one of a few very good choices looked at by the consortium and I think he has some solid credentials from his time at Bournemouth, He has some dynamism and al lot of smarts too.

There was a bit about the new ownership wanting to target someone that projected as both a good short-term and long-term manager, who can come in and consolidate things with the right backing, and then grow with the club as it goes from strength to strength of the back of all the various things that are going to be put in place throughout the club, with a complete structural overhaul.

The manager that comes in is going to have access to a whole different level of recruitment technologies and support, same with data analysis and statistics, high level execs with great contacts in football etc. It's a great opportunity for a manager with potential who could really elevate further under these conditions. Its why I could really see Howe coming in and doing better than expected and then being in a position to grow further.

Funnily enough a good friend of mine is a season ticket holder at Arsenal and knows some people that work within the club, and when I told him Emery had turned us down and we were looking at Howe, he thought Howe was a better move. He said Emery struggled badly at Arsenal with getting his ideas across with people at the club because his English was not very good and he didn't/wouldn't use a translator. He thought Emery might have ultimately decided against Newcastle because his experiences outside of Spain have not turned out well so far (At PSG, Arsenal and Spartak), and he thinks it was largely down to communication issues, and so at this point Emery just wanted to perhaps stay where both he and his family are currently comfortable and settled.

Just now, ManDoon said:

Well yeah same but my worry is whether his methods specifically worked for Bournemouth, then when they didnt he couldn’t adapt. Like when he went to Burnley. If his methods don’t work here he needs to change, straight away. Don’t get me wrong I’m happy with him but I am not as happy as I would have been a couple of years back 

Yeah I would say I share that concern too. With some people it’s the right time and right place.

FWIW in my experience Howe is a popular choice with a lot of the very much not online older generation. Lost count of the amount of times I've heard "I don't know why we don't go for Eddie Howe!?" from my great uncle, uncles, father in law, and the woman at work.

Edited by kisearch