Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

4 minutes ago, cherryred said:

Bournemouth fan here. Thought I'd pop on to see what you're all saying about our lord and saviour Eddie Howe.

IMO he has the potential to be a brilliant appointment for you lot. One thing you get with Eddie is hard, hard work. He was always the first in the club and last to leave each day, to the point where by his final season he had really burnt himself out a bit tbh, which definitely contributed to us getting relegation. He is amazing at developing players up to and beyond their potential, and not always the players you necessarily think of as having potential. He took a team of lower league nobodies, and championship/PL rejects, and turned them into absolute star performers who left everything they had on the pitch. Players like Simon Francis, Marc Pugh, Steve Cook owe much of their careers to Eddie. I've never seen a squad with such an insane team spirit as ours that got promoted from the championship, but tbf that may also be as a consequence of our rapid rise through the leagues as much as anything. 

On the training ground as well he is an absolute monster. Forget his nice guy image in the media, on the training pitch he suffered no fools and had a hell of a vocabulary on him. He's very meticulous in his approach to tactics which led to us playing some absolutely stunning beautiful football at times, but in his latter days he did show a bit of an unwillingness to change style and personel which held us a back a bit. He takes his time with new signings so I wouldn't necessarily expect to see any January transfers walk straight into the team. He usually took a good 6 months at least to bed a player into the setup before he trusted them in the starting 11.

One thing I'm really interested in is how he deals with your board. At Bournemouth he was known for being a control freak and pretty much directly oversaw all aspects of the club (think SAF at man u or Wenger at Arsenal), and one of the rumoured reasons why he left when we went down was that our board tried to change some of that and he basically walked. I'm not sure how this will translate to your current circumstance and how much Eddie has chnaged in this regard over his long break from football, as his obsessiveness and full effort definitely contributed to his downfall at the end of his time with us.

Either way, Eddie Howe is THE living legend as far as I'm concerned and you should be counting your blessing that he will grace your touchline with his presence 

Good insight cheers mate. I think he will do well at NUFC.

Good to read. I've been looking on a couple of Bournemouth forums and some say similar to you. 

We have first hand experience of Howe developing players into something we thought they weren't. Dan Gosling was really nothing much of anything when he was here - snippets here and there, but not really a player who really did anything of note - next thing Bournemouth sign him and he's not exactly banging them in, but you can at least see the type of player he is. 

Just now, kisearch said:

Good to read. I've been looking on a couple of Bournemouth forums and some say similar to you. 

We have first hand experience of Howe developing players into something we thought they weren't. Dan Gosling was really nothing much of anything when he was here - snippets here and there, but not really a player who really did anything of note - next thing Bournemouth sign him and he's not exactly banging them in, but you can at least see the type of player he is. 

Dan was a monster for us at times. Was consistently at the top of stats for distance covered/90 (another thing Eddie is very very keen on)

Also 1 thing I forgot to add - the obligatory F*ck Ryan Fraser the wee little shite will hopefully get what's coming to him now Eddie's on board

Just now, TopSnagger said:

Seeing the tactics video and reading that opinion, kind of gutted we didn't go for him at Arsenal. Speaks more sense than Tets, that's for sure

Watch the Pardew one if you want to feel a bit better about having Arteta. :lol:

1 minute ago, GWN said:

What’s your opinion on Ryan Fraser @cherryred he’s been utter dogshit for us .

And will Howe hold  a grudge? 

If he was on fire I wouldn't piss on him to put it out

Don't know about the grudge. Eddie tends to stick to and with players he trusts absolutely. Whenever we were in trouble he'd always revert to the old guard. Be interesting to see how burnt that bridge is...

Edited by cherryred

3 minutes ago, cherryred said:

Dan was a monster for us at times. Was consistently at the top of stats for distance covered/90 (another thing Eddie is very very keen on)

Also 1 thing I forgot to add - the obligatory F*ck Ryan Fraser the wee little shite will hopefully get what's coming to him now Eddie's on board

He's done next to nowt for us, so couldn't care if he plays him again tbh.

1 hour ago, Anderson said:

All on board with Howe now, sounds like the Anti-Bruce, could be just what we need.

Hope he's good, but I would not trust a word the Athletic ever put out. Cunts made us believe Tets was the second coming of God, and still treat him like he's God

5 minutes ago, cherryred said:

No worries. If you lot have any questions happy to take a stab...

What are your thoughts on him potentially  being handed a pretty sizeable transfer kitty in January? 

Obviously we don’t know exactly what level of control he will be given (E.g possible DoF role), but based on your post, I’d assume he we would want a lot. 

There are some that are concerned about his spending record, hence the question. 

4 hours ago, RS said:

When you read some of the comments on other sites about this it makes you realise we are now universally hated. 

Fuck them. 

Not universally. Arsenal fans, by and large, like Newcastle tbh. Even our forums are more.... ooh, this'll be fun rather than ooh fuck NUFC.

Our club's board probably hates you, but then they hate everyone 

4 minutes ago, TopSnagger said:

Hope he's good, but I would not trust a word the Athletic ever put out. Cunts made us believe Tets was the second coming of God, and still treat him like he's God

Similar to Tifo. Very interesting stuff but a bit football hipster-ish and not always in line with the reality. 

1 minute ago, mouldy_uk said:

What are your thoughts on him potentially  being handed a pretty sizeable transfer kitty in January? 

Obviously we don’t know exactly what level of control he will be given (E.g possible DoF role), but based on your post, I’d assume he we would want a lot. 

There are some that are concerned about his spending record, hence the question. 

Well he's never had such a big budget so we always tended to go for the unpolished gems type of player with lots of potential, focusing mainly on the players personality first and foremost (i.e. will they put effort in, will they be receptive to coaching, will they fit with the dressing room culture). Will be interesting to see who he'd target if he could go for other team's star players.

I think all this nonsense about his spending record is overblown tbh. We signed so many gems under Howe it's incredible. Even people like Solanke who gets so much hate are now showing their true potential. Nathan Ake, Josh King, Callum Wilson, Matt Ritchie, Arnaut Danjuma are all great signings he picked up that have gone on to do great things for other clubs. David Brooks, Lloyd Kelly, Solanke, Lewis Cook, Jack Stacey are all great signings still in the process of fulfilling their potential with us and playing a huge role in our current amazing start to the season.

3 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

When you went into that terrible run of form, before relegation, what would you say was the main issue? Fromk an outside perspective it looked like Howe was trying the same things over and over again with no results. What was the fans views?

It was a bit of that tbf. Like I said, whenever the team was threatened or in trouble, Eddie always reverted to the old guard and the classic "Bournemouth way" of playing football. This got us so far but when the old guard started to show their age and couldn't keep up with the PL we got rocked. We also had a shite ton of injuries to key players we'd signed to add a bit of youth and attack to our system (Brooks, Wilson at time as you'll probably understand lol, Danjuma). 

Can't ignore the fact that we only got relegated by 1 point courtesy of that disallowed Sheffield goal  at Villa that did actually cross the line. I think if we didn't have the injuries we would've stayed up and many Bournemouth fans I think would agree with me on that.

Top managers have been relegated before but it doesn’t get used to beat them with because it’s not recent and many years ago…it was before the time of many of these writers and twitter pundits so there’s no recency bias playing in people’s minds. 

On reflection I think Howe is perfect for where we are right now. He seems to like forging an "us against them" mentality which is what he had at Bournemouth, with outside perceptions saying they had a ceiling of League One or Championship and the points deduction. He also feels it is important to have a club where the fans will be patient and still support the team through a run of bad results where the team continue to try and take the attack to the opposition. You couldn't ask for a more "us verses them" club at the moment than us. Everyone hates us or wants us to fail or wants us to stay a small club and go down. Plus, the stadium will always support the team, particularly if they're trying to play football in the right way.

I think he's got real room to grow as a manager. He needs to learn to delegate a bit more so he doesn't get burnt out. I think my 2 biggest concerns are around tactics and signings. Re tactics, his coaches voice video was not as impressive as that of Xavi. Xavi's was full of detailed patterns of play in each third of the pitch. Howe's was more generalised, more basic. Still a million times better than what Bruce would do (anything is better than nothing), but lacking compared with Xavi or even Fonseca on patterns of play. The thing about Xavi and Fonseca in particular was their patterns of play worked irrespective of formation. They both talked about a philosophy of football that worked no matter what the formation. Howe seems a little stuck in needing a back 4 with full backs and wingers to create side of the pitch overlaps to retain possession.

Regarding transfers, i don't think he's going to be the kind of manager that players abroad will sign because they want to play for him. Maybe in 2-3 years that perception will change when he's taken us into Europe and had a bit of premier league success. So in January we're basically signing players who are convinced by the "project", which really means can we show players we will spend sufficient money to get other good players to come to us, and then be coached into a coherent package by Howe? I hope so. 

Hopefully my observations on his tactical acumen are incorrect. I'll be firmly behind Howe. If he is a success, i can realistically see him being as goods Rogers, if not better. Exciting times! 

9 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Top managers have been relegated before but it doesn’t get used to beat them with because it’s not recent and many years ago…it was before the time of many of these writers and twitter pundits so there’s no recency bias playing in people’s minds. 

Managerial roles have such a weird perception to them, particularly in England, like you always have to keep succeeding. First setback, straight on the scrapheap. Eddie Howe's 43 years old, you'd think he was 65 the way people go on, like he's been relegated and that's now his lifetime legacy.

It'll happen to Graham Potter at some point, either Brighton will have a shit season or he'll take a bigger job and finish 8th, and he will then become unemployable for a while.

Klopp was relegated at Mainz as stated but also that last season at Dortmund was an absolute car crash. They finished well so it didn't look too bad in the end but they were at serious risk of going down in February (they were bottom after 19 games, of 34)

Thanks for writing that out cherryred. Despite the collapse in your relegation season, you were still robbed by the goalline technology eff up that VAR couldn't correct. It gave Villa two free points and they stayed up by one.

GIven that he's banging them in now, do you regard Solanke as a "terrible buy" as the press seem to?

3 minutes ago, greydos said:

On reflection I think Howe is perfect for where we are right now. He seems to like forging an "us against them" mentality which is what he had at Bournemouth, with outside perceptions saying they had a ceiling of League One or Championship and the points deduction. He also feels it is important to have a club where the fans will be patient and still support the team through a run of bad results where the team continue to try and take the attack to the opposition. You couldn't ask for a more "us verses them" club at the moment than us. Everyone hates us or wants us to fail or wants us to stay a small club and go down. Plus, the stadium will always support the team, particularly if they're trying to play football in the right way.

I think he's got real room to grow as a manager. He needs to learn to delegate a bit more so he doesn't get burnt out. I think my 2 biggest concerns are around tactics and signings. Re tactics, his coaches voice video was not as impressive as that of Xavi. Xavi's was full of detailed patterns of play in each third of the pitch. Howe's was more generalised, more basic. Still a million times better than what Bruce would do (anything is better than nothing), but lacking compared with Xavi or even Fonseca on patterns of play. The thing about Xavi and Fonseca in particular was their patterns of play worked irrespective of formation. They both talked about a philosophy of football that worked no matter what the formation. Howe seems a little stuck in needing a back 4 with full backs and wingers to create side of the pitch overlaps to retain possession.

Regarding transfers, i don't think he's going to be the kind of manager that players abroad will sign because they want to play for him. Maybe in 2-3 years that perception will change when he's taken us into Europe and had a bit of premier league success. So in January we're basically signing players who are convinced by the "project", which really means can we show players we will spend sufficient money to get other good players to come to us, and then be coached into a coherent package by Howe? I hope so. 

Hopefully my observations on his tactical acumen are incorrect. I'll be firmly behind Howe. If he is a success, i can realistically see him being as goods Rogers, if not better. Exciting times! 

Different kettle of fish obviously but when he was our gaffer, young players wanted to come and sign for us over other teams because Eddie had a great reputation for developing young talent and being an excellent man manager. Obviously among us sandwich munchers his stock may have fallen, but he has a very good reputation around those in the industry, especially in the UK.

1 minute ago, Stottie said:

Thanks for writing that out cherryred. Despite the collapse in your relegation season, you were still robbed by the goalline technology eff up that VAR couldn't correct. It gave Villa two free points and they stayed up by one.

GIven that he's banging them in now, do you regard Solanke as a "terrible buy" as the press seem to?

Nah Solanke is class imo. He definitely needed a couple years in the championship where he could be the go-to main striker, but now he's tearing it up this year. Perfect player for Parker's system as he just never stops grafting. He'll be a solid PL player no doubt in my mind. People forget some players need time to develop and not everyone is going to fully blossom when they're 20/21. He's literally just turned 24, so when most PL fans were making their minds up about him he was only about 21 years old. Bit harsh imo