Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yeah, I'd like him sacked but I'll put up with him being here if he's a background figure. 

I won't claim to understand why there's any reason for him to stay mind. 

Think its been reported that he's generally a really good coach, and he seems to know Howe. So can see why he's being kept around. He's just a god awful manager :lol: 

I said it in the Jones thread but for the people who think he is a good coach, why have none of our players improved under him and almost all of them have got significantly worse?

He took all of the training sessions and not Bruce.

People seem to rate him because he was asked to help England out but Southgate's not a good manager either.

1 minute ago, PeepShow4life said:

I said it in the Jones thread but for the people who think he is a good coach, why have none of our players improved under him and almost all of them have got significantly worse?

People seem to rate him because he was asked to help England out but Southgate's not a good manager either.

Yes, means nothing. Let’s not forget Pardew was touted as the “next best thing” England boss pre 8 year contract! 

It's exciting and makes me feel like a kid again just to be speculating who a new manager is, cos it's a big deal. It always felt like a big deal and like the club might do something if we got it right. It was all we'd talk about at school every time. Then Ashley killed that, with the exception of the total surprise of Rafa. Other than Rafa I don't think since the second KK appointment over 13 years ago have I excitedly followed who the manager might be - before that it was standard from the first time KK left (my first manager I remember).

Edited by Inferior Acuña

4 minutes ago, PeepShow4life said:

People (including myself) rated him off the back of the turnaround in our performances and results after he joined last season. The England thing has nothing to do with it.

Fuck knows what's happened since though

18 minutes ago, Belfast Boy said:

GJ is becoming more and more unlikeable isn't he? Keeps dropping in to his pressers about how he is guaranteed a role here etc. Surely Howe will bring his own number two, I wonder will Jones be happy just putting the cones out.

It's literally been reported that Tindall would likley be Howe's #2 and that Jones will part of the long-term future by the club. Perhaps he'll be given a more bridge/technical role where he's not exactly on the coaching staff but he's on the footballing side as an assistant of some kind. If he's on the coaching staff then he'll be where Howe places him.

I'd argue Jones is more likable in the last 24 hours than before - he's speaking well and sly digs at Bruce. Bang on. 

13 minutes ago, PeepShow4life said:

Can you imagine trying to take training under Bruce and with the Steves?

You can whine about Southgate but the last two major tournaments says he’s a good manager.

11 minutes ago, Kanji said:

It's literally been reported that Tindall would likley be Howe's #2 and that Jones will part of the long-term future by the club. Perhaps he'll be given a more bridge/technical role where he's not exactly on the coaching staff but he's on the footballing side as an assistant of some kind. If he's on the coaching staff then he'll be where Howe places him.

I'd argue Jones is more likable in the last 24 hours than before - he's speaking well and sly digs at Bruce. Bang on. 

I just don’t get what he’s done to be reassured about his position. If Howe likes him, fair enough. 

10 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I just don’t get what he’s done to be reassured about his position. If Howe likes him, fair enough. 

Wouldn't underestimate his stint with England at the Euros in the summer, perhaps making him seem (to the new owners / outsiders) more important than he is.

I guess ultimately though, if Howe is happy to have as part of huis coaching team, then its fair enough.

I guess he'll drift (back) into the background once the manager and his team come in. 

Edited by TK-421

Guest reefatoon

The thing about Jones first coming in was it felt it could be a way of us seeing Bruce pushed out, so we all jumped on it and a lot of people bigged him up over that and made more of what he actually is. People sided with him as a way of shitting on Bruce. At the end of the day though, it was just another shit cheap mediocre appointment by Ashley. Just like all the other coaches, he has played his part with the rest of them of making our players look 10 times more shit than they were. Think he might hang around for a little bit at first, but if Howe doesn't want him after a space of time, he will be gone no matter how secure he thinks he might be.

19 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Can you imagine trying to take training under Bruce and with the Steves?

You can whine about Southgate but the last two major tournaments says he’s a good manager.

The first tournament we had a easy run and lost against every decent team we played. We barely beat Colombia and should have beat Croatia. Plus a lot of our goals in that tournament came from set pieces.

For the second one, minus the Germany game which was impressive, we didn't have the toughest run and under performed considering the talent we have. We have the best young talent in the world, yet the football we play under Southgate is awful.

Don't really get the Jones hate at all, think it's clear and was clear walking into the job he isn't a manager. This criticism seems misguided based on being tainted by the Bruce regime stank and raised expectations for a job he isn't qualified to do. 

Clearly he is rated in footballing circles for his ability as a coach not jobs for the boys, clearly players gravitated to him since being here and we clearly improved upon arrival. It is hard to know if it would have been much worse without him being there or how big an impact he has had but I am not going to write him off when he was surrounded by absolute dross and potentially with little ability to sway the three Steve's thinking that would have been stacked against him. It is seeping out despite trying to be classy that he didn't have as much of a say in things under Bruce and didn't agree with what was happening.

He absolutely has a genuine knowledge and love of this club and wants to be here in any capacity, ahead of furthering his career elsewhere. That was clear from his first presser, which is available to watch in full. I would recommend people watch him talk about the club in that. Id be shocked if there were many people at the club with his passion and knowledge of it. With his apparent standing/reputation and pure passion for this club I can see why the ownership wanted to keep him around. They would be silly not to when we are looking to go grass roots and rebuild trust in the area across all levels. I also have no problem with him saying he has reassurances when he is getting asked that question in press conferences, he is proud to be here. Again in the presser it's clear he would likely take any role in this set up whether it's with the first time or elsewhere. He is fanboying massively still. It is easy to say like Bruce, if he was a real fan he would have done something, he would have walked. That is all BS, we don't know what he has said, done, been blocked from doing and when you are that passionate about the club and confident in your abilities to contribute its hard to walk away. 

He has tried to be pragmatic and get the defence better drilled the past two weeks and it has looked better on that end bar the limitation of the players. I don't think there is an instant miracle cure and while I didn't like his selections or tactics much I don't think anyone would have changed those results. 

If he isn't up to the task or Howe doesn't work with him he will be moved on, simple but he clearly hasn't earned a reputation, clear admiration from players.

Some of the hate is frankly bizarre to me. 

11 minutes ago, PeepShow4life said:

The first tournament we had a easy run and lost against every decent team we played. We barely beat Colombia and should have beat Croatia. Plus a lot of our goals in that tournament came from set pieces.

For the second one, minus the Germany game which was impressive, we didn't have the toughest run and under performed considering the talent we have. We have the best young talent in the world, yet the football we play under Southgate is awful.

Agreed Southgate showed bad game management in the columbia and Croatia games as well and then pretty much went and did the same thing in the Italy game this euros. Not learning from his mistakes and being too cautious has cost us 

2 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Don't really get the Jones hate at all, think it's clear and was clear walking into the job he isn't a manager. This criticism seems misguided based on being tainted by the Bruce regime stank and raised expectations for a job he isn't qualified to do. 

Clearly he is rated in footballing circles for his ability as a coach not jobs for the boys, clearly players gravitated to him since being here and we clearly improved upon arrival. It is hard to know if it would have been much worse without him being there or how big an impact he has had but I am not going to write him off when he was surrounded by absolute dross and potentially with little ability to sway the three Steve's thinking that would have been stacked against him. It is seeping out despite trying to be classy that he didn't have as much of a say in things under Bruce and didn't agree with what was happening.

He absolutely has a genuine knowledge and love of this club and wants to be here in any capacity, ahead of furthering his career elsewhere. That was clear from his first presser, which is available to watch in full. I would recommend people watch him talk about the club in that. Id be shocked if there were many people at the club with his passion and knowledge of it. With his apparent standing/reputation and pure passion for this club I can see why the ownership wanted to keep him around. They would be silly not to when we are looking to go grass roots and rebuild trust in the area across all levels. I also have no problem with him saying he has reassurances when he is getting asked that question in press conferences, he is proud to be here. Again in the presser it's clear he would likely take any role in this set up whether it's with the first time or elsewhere. He is fanboying massively still. It is easy to say like Bruce, if he was a real fan he would have done something, he would have walked. That is all BS, we don't know what he has said, done, been blocked from doing and when you are that passionate about the club and confident in your abilities to contribute its hard to walk away. 

He has tried to be pragmatic and get the defence better drilled the past two weeks and it has looked better on that end bar the limitation of the players. I don't think there is an instant miracle cure and while I didn't like his selections or tactics much I don't think anyone would have changed those results. 

If he isn't up to the task or Howe doesn't work with him he will be moved on, simple but he clearly hasn't earned a reputation, clear admiration from players.

Some of the hate is frankly bizarre to me. 

:clap:

Absolutely spot on.