Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

There's no doubting Shelvey's technique and he's one of three CMs in the squad who should theoretically be anywhere near the pitch. I dearly hope we're in a position to move on from him in the very near future but in the mean-time we need performances from our current players. So I've no issue with comments like that. Beats wittering on about how class the opposition are. 

If Howe manages to implement a system where Shelvey gets time on the ball without being pressured, and he doesn't have to do a lot of running without it affecting the rest of the team negatively then sure, why not. I have my doubts though :lol: 

Most likely just spiel to get the best out of what he's got right now. He's got a rep of getting players performing above their ceiling. If we could get Shelvey performing at 80% we would see a totally different player and someone worth Fielding. Right now he's a mess physically & mentally but it's a fresh start for all, including him so let's see if he takes it. Even if it's for 2 months till he burns out or gets sick of the effort, really that's  all we need him for until we can replace him. 

There's a lot of negativity around Shelvey from the forum and the fanbase but one thing that has never been in question IMO is his ability.

If Howe can motivate him and fit him into the team in a way that maximises his strengths and mitigates his lack of workrate, he can still be a huge asset. 

2 minutes ago, 54 said:

He obviously likes a challenge. 😂 Would be great to see him kick-start his career here under Howe. I'm guessing he's seeing a response in training otherwise Joe and JJS wouldn't be getting praised unless the questions were direct about them. Just need a Longstaff quote and we're fully on board  the underpeformers train.

3 minutes ago, Gaztoon said:

Everyone for me as a clean slate.. if howe thinks anyone as shown enough to play then I'm 100% behind it.... for now 😂

Until the 3rd minute anyway, when Brentford midfielder strolls past Shelvey and he doesn't track back.   Then he will get both barrels! :hunter:

He can't ship these lads out until January, so he has to motivate them and get them performing right now. He will be trying to unlock their potential or get them back to their best and that's fine - it's what should be happening. I'm certain they will be targeted for replacement when the time comes still for the ones that deserve it most.

Every player deserves a clean slate under the new manager, in my opinion. If he can get something out of Joelinton, (which he may well do, as I think there is a player in there), all the better.

Edited by NUFC_Chris

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

There's no doubting Shelvey's technique and he's one of three CMs in the squad who should theoretically be anywhere near the pitch. I dearly hope we're in a position to move on from him in the very near future but in the mean-time we need performances from our current players. So I've no issue with comments like that. Beats wittering on about how class the opposition are. 

Totally agree, if he’s on song he gets us forward , he will binned ASAP though . In the meantime we need him on song . 

Re Shelvey, didn't someone get a stat thing which showed he ran as much as everyone else and had decent pace as well but when you watch the game he's always chasing and behind the player who has broke on him, seemingly like he's slow to read the game defensively rather than being slow and lazy.

Might have dreamt it mind.