Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

So far I'm happy with him.

There's been a definite improvement in performances. Pressing high up the pitch in numbers and committing numbers forward was totally unheard of a few weeks back.

Obviously the defence is still a problem, but there have been signs we're getting there in the last two. There's been far more coherence in trying to defend as a unit and not leave the back line as exposed.

Individuals have also improved, Shelvey and Joelinton being the obvious two and I also think given time, he'll get a tune out of the likes of Fraser, Almiron and Murphy.

That said its not been perfect and I think he's still learning about his squad. For a man that had allegedly thoroughly researched every player prior to his arrival, you'd have thought he'd have know Dubravka is by far our best keeper and that Clark, Krafth and Ritchie are absolute liabilities. He's definitely learnt the hard way and I'll be disappointed to see any of them in the side again unless necessary.

So yeah overall a plus, especially given he's had some rotten luck with COVID and a suspect referring performance away to Arsenal. I think the wins will come, its just whether they come soon enough to prevent us being totally cut adrift.

Guest reefatoon

A huge positive we can take is how he has already changed the fitness of the team. For having 10 men for 80 minutes yesterday, I thought we battled and competed brilliantly and that was due to the players looking much sharper and fitter. I think some people might be missing the fact of what a monumental job it is to try and turn this team around from the unfit loser mentality they all had, to now battling and working their arses off for the full 90 minutes. Looking back on yesterdays game now, I think we did a cracking job under the circumstances and there were loads of positives we can take out of that. 

1 hour ago, NEEJ said:

It's not that surprising when you consider we haven't reinforced the defence in any meaningful way since 2018. The defenders we once thought of as solid, dependable footballers under Rafa are three years older and have spent the majority of that time listening to the Steves/on holiday. 

Our defence / defenders are not good enough - the main reason imo.

I have never seen Joelinton work that hard defensively.

We have quality going forward and focus has been on a more attacking expression. 

You do not fix that defence over night. Ideally we have to buy a whole new defence + goalie imo.

Guest reefatoon
Just now, sugoinufc said:

Our defence / defenders are not good enough - the main reason imo.

I have never seen Joelinton work that hard defensively.

We have quality going forward and focus has been on a more attacking expression. 

You do not fix that defence over night. Ideally we have to buy a whole new defence + goalie imo.

Saying that, I think our back 4 yesterday all played really well and looked solid throughout (I know it was Norwich) and mistakes only started creeping in a bit due to total tiredness of being down to 10 men for so long. We definitely need to upgrade on defence, but if we can keep that back 4 playing for now, I think they will do ok until we can improve.

Howe needs new players clearly, this isn’t his team, if he got to bring in a few of his ‘own’ players to build a spine, I feel we would soon start to see the real Eddie Howe type set up. January is so important. 

I'm aware that patience is required and that testing positive will have complicated matters for him, but we can't really afford much of it. We've managed to collect two meagre points in two home games against promoted sides favourites for going down again, (plus Arsenal away). Burnley at the weekend is now an absolute must win game for the club and the new manager, or all momentum and positivity could be quickly lost what with our horrible fixture list for the rest of December. 

The next team sheet will be quite telling. Howe has happened upon our best back 4 by accident (despite us all knowing it all season) and we know for certain that under Bruce, Lascelles would be straight back in and Fede back on the bench. If Howe does that as well it will be a massive let down and a definite black mark in his book

Keep having to remind myself how the team took time to adapt to Rafa's methods, so trying not to be too critical, but last night's back four should be a massive lesson for him as well as Joelinton bring more suited to the flank.

Will be disappointed if that still isn't apparent next game.

56 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

I'm aware that patience is required and that testing positive will have complicated matters for him, but we can't really afford much of it. We've managed to collect two meagre points in two home games against promoted sides favourites for going down again, (plus Arsenal away). Burnley at the weekend is now an absolute must win game for the club and the new manager, or all momentum and positivity could be quickly lost what with our horrible fixture list for the rest of December. 

Sadly the fact we can't afford it isn't really too actionable or relevant, it will take time to get the improvements he wants. It was bad luck that some must-win games cropped up after a couple of weeks training and a bout of covid. 

10 minutes ago, steve_69 said:

The next team sheet will be quite telling. Howe has happened upon our best back 4 by accident (despite us all knowing it all season) and we know for certain that under Bruce, Lascelles would be straight back in and Fede back on the bench. If Howe does that as well it will be a massive let down and a definite black mark in his book

Unless he can get Lascelles back to a respectable performance level, like he had under Rafa. I mean, we've all seen Joelinton and to a lesser extent Shelvey play out of their skin the last few games, so I wouldn't rule it out completely, but I agree for now the first team places should belong to the back five we ended yesterday's game with.

6 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Unless he can get Lascelles back to a respectable performance level, like he had under Rafa. I mean, we've all seen Joelinton and to a lesser extent Shelvey play out of their skin the last few games, so I wouldn't rule it out completely, but I agree for now the first team places should belong to the back five we ended yesterday's game with.

So far the evidence suggests Lascelles is going backwards. Fede on the other hand stepped into a team down to 10 men, having been on the bench all season and looked absolutely top draw. I think a spell on the sidelines could do Lascelles some good. Also, what message does it send to Fede after a performance like that?!

Schar looked to me like he will need a rest for soft tissue issues.

Also, as the aerial threat of Burnley will be more apparent than Norwich’s I would’ve thought a CB pairing Fede and Lasc would be more sensible.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Hayden starts instead of Willock. Not an endorsement of Hayden just I think Willock looked very off the pace.

12 hours ago, Mike said:

:lol: The bit where he cupped Miggy's face felt like the end of a movie.

:lol:

I'm still trying to work out if it would be a tragic romance or a horror story. A bit of both probably with a bit of comedy thrown in. 

Darlow and Clarky lost us 4 points and should never play again for us.  Big Joe has taken a big step up and Lewis looked good in Radgies absence.  Fede was big yesterday so I would think he has a team forming in his head.  If he goes back to Darlow and Clark he'll deserve all the abuse thrown at him.

I'd go 442 til new recruits come in.

Dubs

Manq      Fede    Schar   Lewis

ASM      Shelvey   Willock   Miggy

Joe     Wilson

Still a gaping hole in the midfield.

7 minutes ago, toon25 said:

What improvements on the pitch have people seen just out of interest?

I think the shape of the team is ok 

He has to get his XI correct - no way can you play Willock and Shelvey as the double pivot - Hayden has to play in place of one of them 

Fernandez, Manquillo and J Lewis are a must 

i’d actually play 4231 with Murphy in the 3 out wide - possibly Joelinton down the middle 

14 minutes ago, toon25 said:

It's hard to say after 3 games, one of which we played with 10 men,  and another against a far superior team. General fitness levels should probably get a mention, I don't think we could have played 80 mins without losing if Bruce was still in charge. 

11 minutes ago, Consortium of one said:

Darlow and Clarky lost us 4 points and should never play again for us.  Big Joe has taken a big step up and Lewis looked good in Radgies absence.  Fede was big yesterday so I would think he has a team forming in his head.  If he goes back to Darlow and Clark he'll deserve all the abuse thrown at him.

I'd go 442 til new recruits come in.

Dubs

Manq      Fede    Schar   Lewis

ASM      Shelvey   Willock   Miggy

Joe     Wilson

Still a gaping hole in the midfield.

I would put joe in a 3 man midfield, with miggy as part of a 3 man attack, which also boosts the pressing in our midfield 

29 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Defensive unity is getting there 

Improved fitness

High pressing 

Committing players forward in numbers 

Shelvey and Joelinton actually playing like Premier League footballers 

Edited by The Prophet

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Defensive unity is getting there 

High pressing 

Committing players forward in numbers 

Shelvey and Joelinton actually playing like Premier League footballers 

I think we are still getting there with the pressing and committing players forward, but that's to be expected after 5 years of playing a defensive formation. Was never going to turn around overnight. 

I though Howe spoke really well again after the game. Would have been easy to throw Clark under the bus, but he avoided that without really defending him either. I am all in for Howe, I hope he succeeds here. Seems like a man of principle, and he's not thick which helps. 

31 minutes ago, toon25 said:

We don't look lazy or like they couldn't give a fuck, which from Ashley to Bruce and the Steve's previous "coaching" is a massive difference. If we had Ed at the start of the season we'd be 14th or 15th with our bang average squad.

1 minute ago, The Bonk said:

We don't look lazy or like they couldn't give a fuck, which from Ashley to Bruce and the Steve's previous "coaching" is a massive difference. If we had Ed at the start of the season we'd be 14th or 15th with our bang average squad.

Aye :thup: