Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

47 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

It's good to see that most the fans are on board and fully behind him.  See a few mongs on Twitter trying to suggest it's no better than Bruce :lol: but we had the same drongos spouting this shite about Bruce being the same as Rafa.  So not really paying attention to that nonsense. 

Every club has thick fans but i'd say the thickest of ours would out-thick any others in the league. Leeds would give us a run for our money but I still think we'd top the podium. Some of the shite peddled on Twitter is beyond parody

People got carried away when we appointed him last month, getting giddy after reading a few articles and watching some youtube videos. The excitement was very OTT, but now the doom and gloom from some quarters is also ridiculous. The truth is the guy is a good manager but, until proven otherwise, not top drawer as yet. If we go down then he will probably be the best bet to bring us back up....unless the second half of the season is a shocker.

13 hours ago, The Bonk said:

Fernandez is hurt, isn't he? 

Fair criticism, but again, probably, on paper, the best two that fit into Howe's system. What are the other options? Hayden? Shite. Hendrick? Shite. Gan on, list the better duo.

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.......this last point, come on. Bruce ball was barely football, just no, there comes a point in time when you need to deploy a system, tactics and some semblance of formation. There was none of that under Bruce, just pure fucking luck, shithousing points we didn't deserve due to some herculean individual effort. Rafa had us in a defensive first, counter attack system, which worked for most of these numpty's. I'd expect that Rafa would have bought players that would improve the system and ease us into a more attacking team. We all know what happened instead.

Villa, Wolves, Brighton, Leeds (albeit look shit now), Palace, etc. all have better players than us. 

Sorry, re read what I put, but yeh that's been horrifically worded. I just meant the defence only, as in you surely you can't blame the quality of player for the reason a defence is performing poorly for one manager but not the other. I think it's fair to criticise - or at discuss as a going concern- our defensive performances. 

We can see the impact of Howe's coaching and management on our attacking play which has improved 10 fold under him, but as of yet, I've not seen much in terms of progress for our defence. 

I think that's literally been my only point, that and some of his selection choice are questionable. :thup:

Edited by Thumbheed

53 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Sorry, re read what I put, but yeh that's been horrifically worded. I just meant the defence only, as in you surely you can't blame the quality of player for the reason a defence is performing poorly for one manager but not the other. I think it's fair to criticise - or at discuss as a going concern- our defensive performances. 

We can see the impact of Howe's coaching and management on our attacking play which has improved 10 fold under him, but as of yet, I've not seen much in terms of progress for our defence. 

I think that's literally been my only point, that and some of his selection choice are questionable. :thup:

Probably won't until we get in a higher calibre of player to compliment players worth keeping like Schar. Howe strikes me as more of an enabler of talent, not someone who drills fundamentals into players such as Lascelles, Clark, Manquillo. 

No harm in questioning decisions, mate. Again, I was pissed that we couldn't follow up our only win with a better showing at Leicester. 

20 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Definitely agree with this, the antithesis of Rafa basically.

Which is what managers should be doing at the top level. You don't see the mistakes (as often) we make from clubs inside the top 10-12 in the division. Edison made the worst mistake against us yesterday, but I don't particularly think he's got the highest football IQ. Granted, with that defence in front of him, you mostly need a shot stopper, someone who can play it on the deck for City to move up the pitch. 

I'm really not sure any level of detailed Rafa-like drilling is going to get Lascelles or Clark to play proper PL quality football anymore. They are simply just not good enough anymore and have digressed massively since Rafa left.

Very similar extent to Fab Schar, who really became a player only under Rafa in his career and of course has had a great international career (paired with better partners, midfielders). Same goes with Fede, who has always been a pretty good defender his entire career. 

10 hours ago, r0cafella said:

When will that be exactly? Isn’t part of his job getting the best out of what he has taken over?

I’m just curious what your metric is?

when he buys some decent fucking players man, these are shite , that’s my metric, you can’t polish an ageing turd that has stunk for ages . 

Are you one of the fans very quick to turn on him? If so tell me why .

this team has been battered for a long time now , devoid of confidence and ability, devoid of investment, stuck with championship players for years . EH is no miracle worker but in the position he took the job on our club was in not even Pep could turn this rag bag shite squad into a team that will stay up .

he is trying to get the best out of the shite , we have improved slightly but dopey decisions by players that shouldn’t be near this club have cost him . 

seriously if you are having a pop at him already then I’m staggered , yet not surprised at some of our fan base . He was one of a few who would take this on , judge him next season when he’s had a fucking chance ok. 

8 minutes ago, GWN said:

when he buys some decent fucking players man, these are shite , that’s my metric, you can’t polish an ageing turd that has stunk for ages . 

this team has been battered for a long time now , devoid of confidence and ability, devoid of investment, stuck with championship players for years . EH is no miracle worker but in the position he took the job on our club was in not even Pep could turn this rag bag shite squad into a team that will stay up .

he is trying to get the best out of the shite , we have improved slightly but dopey decisions by players that shouldn’t be near this club have cost him . 

seriously if you are having a pop at him already then I’m staggered , yet not surprised at some of our fan base . He was one of a few who would take this on , judge him next season when he’s had a fucking chance ok. 

It's getting pretty tiresome like. 

"He had a shit defensive record at Bournemouth, what do you expect??"

"Why didn't he fix that defence YESTERDAY??"

In the games where we've played lower half teams, we've held our own, and are still unbeaten, if with that shambles of a team. Let's just wait and see what happens in January, on and off the pitch, and see where we are then. 

9 minutes ago, TRon said:

It's getting pretty tiresome like. 

"He had a shit defensive record at Bournemouth, what do you expect??"

"Why didn't he fix that defence YESTERDAY??"

In the games where we've played lower half teams, we've held our own, and are still unbeaten, if with that shambles of a team. Let's just wait and see what happens in January, on and off the pitch, and see where we are then. 

people are entitled to their opinion mate but to be this quick off the draw is staggering in my opinion, not something I’m going to get involved in .EH , we are lucky to have him , very lucky considering what was on offer.

5 hours ago, steve_69 said:

Every club has thick fans but i'd say the thickest of ours would out-thick any others in the league. Leeds would give us a run for our money but I still think we'd top the podium. Some of the shite peddled on Twitter is beyond parody

some of the shite peddled on here is beyond parody.

I get both points of view, my argument about his defensive record is mainly that we all know how shit our defenders are yet our team is also set up in a way that offers them zero protection. I just feel he could set the team up differently in our current situation to offer maximum protection to the defence.

3 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

I get both points of view, my argument about his defensive record is mainly that we all know how shit our defenders are yet our team is also set up in a way that offers them zero protection. I just feel he could set the team up differently in our current situation to offer maximum protection to the defence.

From what I've seen we don't look particularly vulnerable defensively from a tactical POV though. It's not like we are throwing everyone forward and leaving ourselves wide open, we've generally been quite compact as far as our shape goes. We are getting undone by ricks and individual mistakes out of nowhere for the most part. 

39 minutes ago, TRon said:

From what I've seen we don't look particularly vulnerable defensively from a tactical POV though. It's not like we are throwing everyone forward and leaving ourselves wide open, we've generally been quite compact as far as our shape goes. We are getting undone by ricks and individual mistakes out of nowhere for the most part. 

Yep.  The shape generally looks ok - some of the mistakes are just catastrophically terrible.

Where Howe can be faulted is the selection of some of those most prone to making those errors (Darlow, Clark, Ritchie, Lascelles etc) - I think four points were chucked away against Brentford and Norwich as a result.

Harder to blame his selections now though, as the injuries rack up. 

8 hours ago, GWN said:

My position remains as it has been and would be with anyone we appointed. 

if we invest money in January and get relegated then the manager has failed. 

and I’m not having a pop, any critique I’ve made has been constructive and objective. 

I'd agree with that. I like Howe a lot, he talks a good game and he wants to get us playing but he's being hamstrung by what he's inherited. Rafa took over a team in a similar state, easy to forget we went to Southampton and got well beaten, shipped 3 at Norwich etc during his early games. It takes time to turn things around and we always knew this run of games was going to be bleak. Hopefully we have at least learned something out of them, such as Joelinton being useful in midfield compared to his colleagues. That Everton game looks huge, especially if they are still depleted (and we somehow avoid that). As it stands we're only 3 points from safety, obviously games in hands and goal difference means it's probably more than that but the bottom half of the league is really quite poor. You've got to think if we can get a few players in we're capable of staying up.

We're looking desperate for centre backs, full backs and a proper holding midfielder. That's at the very least. An extra striker to help Wilson out would also be nice. Teams are going to play silly buggers with us in January, I've no doubt. They know we've got the money and we're desperate for quick purchases. I'll be surprised if other PL clubs deal with us, maybe towards the end of the month when another 5 or 6 games have slipped away. I know there'll be people who want us to fuck off the FA Cup but I think any opportunity to build confidence should be taken. I seem to remember the mackems doing it years ago under Poyet where they looked doomed but some decent cup wins seemed to ignite their league form and they stayed up comfortably in the end, if I'm remembering properly. He also shit on the floor and got sacked so maybe don't do that. Anyway, the optimist in me says we could take 6 points from Everton & Southampton and the world will look a different place. Make it happen Eddie.