Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

He has until the end of the season and then I will make a judgement when he has more of his players in.

He could help himself though in the meantime - definition of madness

Ritchie has played 90% of games at LB this season - how many games have we won, 5%    He is not a left back, never ever play him at left back.   He is a sub player at best and for a wing position.   If you haven't got a left back then at least play a full back that has some idea of what the role requires - eg Manquillo.

Clark is done - dont play him again unless we are down to no CB

Edited by Awaymag

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

I meant throw like Ashley throw it. Play a few lads from the u23s, accept the fact we might get beat. We could have had the “it’s not the first team” excuse. Now we’ve got arguably our first team coming off the back of poor defeat to let’s be fair, a bad League 1 team 

It’s high risk low reward to go full squad in that game. I don’t really remember us ever playing badly after cup games when we lost them in the Ashley era tbh. 

Aye that's what I mean. If we'd thrown it we're in a much better mood for Watford win or lose.

Agree there was little point in fielding our best side.

Guest neesy111

We've won 1 game all season.  1 game, you do anything to get some confidence into players and also that winning mentality.  See absolutely no issue in playing full strength team, especially when it would be almost 3 weeks without a game otherwise.

10 minutes ago, magdoggy said:

Haway? Mackem confirmed 

I'm sorry like but I've got better things to do than pretend to be a Newcastle fan.

Edited by Beth

1 hour ago, Heron said:

What would your line up have been? 

Well for starters I'd of had Manquillo in ahead of Ritchie. Midfield two of Hendrick (yes he shit but there just to protect the back 4) and Shelvey. Either Willock or Almiron (lol) playing the no 10 role with ASM and Murphy on the wings, and Linton as a link up man up top, which would have left Fraser and U23 striker to come off the bench as impact subs if needed.

Yes I know Hendrick and Almiron are shite and Linton is not a striker but at least we'd have had a coherent formation instead of that dogs dinner yesterday.

The persistence with Ritchie at left back is worrying, especially when Manquillo is on the bench. Ritchie was never that great, is long past his best, and isn't a left back. He can't even hold the line.

He’s not helped by a current squad made up of the equivalent of an “oops” shelf in a supermarket. Loads of yellow label goods on the verge of their sell by date that nobody else would really use unless they’re fucking desperate. 

As said this squad aren’t playing to stay up. They’re playing to extend their free meal ticket. Such a shame our youth set up has been so criminally under-ran that we have to play a cup game without a CF or an alternative  to the shite in our first team. 

I guess the proof of Eddie’s talent will be if we actually do deliver on these rumoured signings and he can provide a game plan and tactics for 90 mins. 

Im praying we don’t end up with an “Eddie doesn’t know Howe to”!

Edited by RS

He has got to beat Norwich. There can be no excuses. Absolutely none.

I can't deny that yesterday has raised a potential red flag against him for the long term for me, in terms of delivering results when the expectations are high. That game was an absolute gift and a chance to really get morale sky-high. Instead, the opposite has happened and the club is now a laughing stock for the next 7 days at least.

2 hours ago, JJ7 said:

The persistence with Ritchie at left back is worrying, especially when Manquillo is on the bench. Ritchie was never that great, is long past his best, and isn't a left back. He can't even hold the line.

Howe's system places a big importance on full backs that are forward thinking and that can pass the ball and deliver quality crosses into the box on overlaps. It's why he keeps using Ritchie there, as we legit do not have any other left footed full back with any kind of ability at the minute.

10 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

Would Howe actually be able to manage the calibre of players we are after, as I believe he ain't got a cat in hells chance that he can, would be out of his depth 

Is there anything to base this on?

2 hours ago, wyn davies said:

Would Howe actually be able to manage the calibre of players we are after, as I believe he ain't got a cat in hells chance that he can, would be out of his depth 

What on earth are you talking about?  Why wouldn't he be able to MANAGE football players.  After all, that is his job and has been for quite a large portion of his professional employment.  I repeat, why do you say "he ain't got a cat in hells chance"? 

From today's presser for anyone unable to watch, I'll write up some of the good bits while on me lunch:

• Very pleased with Wood signing due to the fact he's experienced and ready to play. He brings something different to what we have and he was Howe's first choice because he's always been an admirer of tall, physical strikers that can provide a platform for the rest of the team to play. Last week against Cambridge we were crying out for a Wood type, who'll also be important in both boxes on set pieces. He knows the league and nothing will surprise him. He's hugely motivated to play here and he has experience in relegation battles, and he's displayed a hugely impressive attitude in the brief chats he's had.

• Not close to bringing in any other signings imminently (i.e. before Watford), so the squad is set for that game. We are looking and we have time left in the window. He knows we need to move quickly and bring in more players. We're still active in the market, but nothing new to report. Diego Carlos was put to him, and Howe totally straight batted it. Seemed a bit peeved that individual names were being put to him, to be honest. DVB was mentioned as a loan possibility by a journalist, and again he said he wouldn't comment on other clubs' players. Played this one a bit coy, interestingly.

• We're not thinking about "not losing" tomorrow, only about winning. Determined to put things right after Cambridge. There are still a few COVID cases in the camp (Gayle, Clark, Darlow, Woodman?) with more testing to be done this afternoon. Lewis and Dummett are both edging closer to a return, but there's nothing negative to report.

• Everyone behind the scenes is working tirelessly to improve the squad and he's really pleased with our business to this point. It's not about quantity, it's about quality. There are clear imbalances in the squad that need to be corrected. He wants options available to allow him to change systems when necessary and to be able to go into every game feeling we can win.

• Trippier has had a massive impact and has already assumed a leadership position. Addressed the group on his first day and spoke very well.

• Reiterated that we signed Wood because we needed a focal point in our attack. Someone who could score goals and lead the line, and give us something different to what we had in the squad. Dodged the question about the release clause. He doesn't worry about fees. All he cares about is finding players with the quality required and then he leaves it up to the executive/recruitment teams to do the deals. Not bothered about weakening Burnley.

• Said nothing is confirmed in terms of the Saudi trip, though there have been discussions about doing a warm-weather camp during that period.

• In terms of whether PIF's wealth is a blessing or a burden he said that it's a burden. When added to the NUFC name, the wealth "people think we have" drives prices up to levels that are uncomfortable. It's also very obvious that we're looking in certain positions, which means that the price goes up further. We've identified and signed two players, with the prices being big but a symptom of the current market. Says the club has to be able to draw a line and walk away from deals if the price gets too silly, otherwise the market would go insane.

• Has no idea how many points it will take for us to survive, but knows we can't survive on draws.

• Asked about Longstaff to Everton and says this is the most intense January window that he has ever experienced. Players exiting may well have to wait until the end of the window once we know where we're at. Spoke highly of Longstaff and says he has a future here. He has to bounce back from Cambridge, though, along with the rest of the team. Will look at the 25-man squad throughout the window, but it's difficult at the moment due to COVID and injuries.

• Is very excited about the players we've brought in and will bring in.

• Dubravka is still the number one and seems like he'll be fine for tomorrow. He's made some very big saves since he joined the club and Howe really likes him. He's a solid, dependable guy and he's looking forward to continuing to work with him. Dodged commenting on his recent mistakes.

• Understood the excitement about the takeover and the potential signings that could come. However, he needed to identify what the team needed with a view to surviving first and foremost so that's what we're working towards. So far, so good, but more work to do.

• Asked what impact the uniqueness of our position being a team at the bottom but having huge wealth has on expectations around his performance (really good question, actually). Howe says it's a mixture and agrees it is a very unique position. From the outside, some people might think it's an easy situation, but it's actually very complex. We have to agree deals with clubs that don't want to sell in January and find players who want to join the battle to stay in the league, which is not an easy sell. The most important thing is signing the right characters.

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

From today's presser for anyone unable to watch, I'll write up some of the good bits while on me lunch:

• Very pleased with Wood signing due to the fact he's experienced and ready to play. He brings something different to what we have and he was Howe's first choice because he's always been an admirer of tall, physical strikers that can provide a platform for the rest of the team to play. Last week against Cambridge we were crying out for a Wood type, who'll also be important in both boxes on set pieces. He knows the league and nothing will surprise him. He's hugely motivated to play here and he has experience in relegation battles, and he's displayed a hugely impressive attitude in the brief chats he's had.

• Not close to bringing in any other signings imminently (i.e. before Watford), so the squad is set for that game. We are looking and we have time left in the window. He knows we need to move quickly and bring in more players. We're still active in the market, but nothing new to report. Diego Carlos was put to him, and Howe totally straight batted it. Seemed a bit peeved that individual names were being put to him, to be honest. DVB was mentioned as a loan possibility by a journalist, and again he said he wouldn't comment on other clubs' players. Played this one a bit coy, interestingly.

• We're not thinking about "not losing" tomorrow, only about winning. Determined to put things right after Cambridge. There are still a few COVID cases in the camp (Gayle, Clark, Darlow, Woodman?) with more testing to be done this afternoon. Lewis and Dummett are both edging closer to a return, but there's nothing negative to report.

• Everyone behind the scenes is working tirelessly to improve the squad and he's really pleased with our business to this point. It's not about quantity, it's about quality. There are clear imbalances in the squad that need to be corrected. He wants options available to allow him to change systems when necessary and to be able to go into every game feeling we can win.

• Trippier has had a massive impact and has already assumed a leadership position. Addressed the group on his first day and spoke very well.

• Reiterated that we signed Wood because we needed a focal point in our attack. Someone who could score goals and lead the line, and give us something different to what we had in the squad. Dodged the question about the release clause. He doesn't worry about fees. All he cares about is finding players with the quality required and then he leaves it up to the executive/recruitment teams to do the deals. Not bothered about weakening Burnley.

• Said nothing is confirmed in terms of the Saudi trip, though there have been discussions about doing a warm-weather camp during that period.

• In terms of whether PIF's wealth is a blessing or a burden he said that it's a burden. When added to the NUFC name, the wealth "people think we have" drives prices up to levels that are uncomfortable. It's also very obvious that we're looking in certain positions, which means that the price up drives up further. We've identified and signed two players, with the prices being big but a symptom of the current market. Says the club has to be able to draw a line and walk away from deals if the price gets too silly, otherwise the market would go insane.

• Has no idea how many points it will take for us to survive, but knows we can't survive on draws.

• Asked about Longstaff to Everton and says this is the most intense January window that he has ever experienced. Players exiting may well have to wait until the end of the window once we know where we're at. Spoke highly of Longstaff and says he has a future here. He has to bounce back from Cambridge, though, along with the rest of the team. Will look at the 25-man squad throughout the window, but it's difficult at the moment due to COVID and injuries.

• Is very excited about the players we've brought in and will bring in.

• Dubravka is still the number one and seems like he'll be fine for tomorrow. He's made some very big saves since he joined the club and Howe really likes him. He's a solid, dependable guy and he's looking forward to continuing to work with him. Dodged commenting on his recent mistakes.

• Understood the excitement about the takeover and the potential signings that could come. However, he needed to identify what the team needed with a view to surviving first and foremost so that's what we're working towards. So far, so good, but more work to do.

• Asked what impact the uniqueness of our position being a team at the bottom but having huge wealth has on expectations around his performance (really good question, actually). Howe says it's a mixture and agrees it is a very unique position. From the outside, some people might think it's an easy situation, but it's actually very complex. We have to agree deals with clubs that don't want to sell in January and find players who want to join the battle to stay in the league, which is not an easy sell. The most important thing is signing the right characters.

Excellent write up, much appreciated 👍