Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

9 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I think Howe if we were mid table would have been the ideal appointment, I think situationally it was the wrong call. I really like the guy and very much like his football ideals 

I wouldn't say ideal but he could do less damage.  How the club thought he was the right person to keep us up I have no idea - talked the talk clearly but can't seem to walk the walk.

Second point of note and arguably the most infuriating, is that he has actually had this team looking very dangerous on the break, but rather that build on that, he's continued to try to force an ill suited style of play onto us which is costing us games. 

The biggest weakness of Howe for me is that he's just not inspiring, no charisma. With Benitez, you can see he has a natural authority/respect and with Bruce you can see why players would take to him at the beginning of his reign. With Howe, I just don't see him having any impact, he certainly hasn't so far and you could argue that the mental side of a relegation fight is the most important part. 

Just now, macphisto said:

The biggest weakness of Howe for me is that he's just not inspiring, no charisma. With Benitez, you can see he has a natural authority/respect and with Bruce you can see why players would take to him at the beginning of his reign. With Howe, I just don't see him having any impact, he certainly hasn't so far and you could argue that the mental side of a relegation fight is the most important part. 

What? He comes across as having a lot of charisma.

The only thing I don't get is this whole idea of 'you criticised X so you must criticise Y' because it requires you to completely ignore all context - their records, the difference in time, the fact that two things (bad squad and good/bad manager) can be true at once.

If Trippier makes a mistake and Lascelles makes the same mistake, one's going to get more stick than the other because these things don't exist in isolation - the same sort of thing applies to managers and we had years and years to make those distinctions between Rafa and Bruce to the extent that they were more or less 100% known entities. Howe undoubtedly sits in-between those two in terms of how much rope they'll get from fans to get it right.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, Vinny Green Balls said:

What? He comes across as having a lot of charisma.

Each to their own but he doesn't to me. Indeed, I find him quite bland. He's well presented, probably had good media training as he talks well enough but that's not charisma in my book.

13 minutes ago, Ash said:

Goes some way to explaining the apparent want for ‘PL experience’ which is worrying in itself. 

And the comments re: 'a foculpoint for the team'. It just sounded primitive/the sort of shit a pfm would come out with.

15 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I just don’t buy into the idea we can’t judge Howe on the squad he is working with now.

Because we all sat here and said "The squad is terrible but Bruce is the fucking pits, this team would be doing better under someone even halfway competent".

And Howe has come in, and made absolutely no impact whatsoever other than stumbling upon Joelinton being a canny CM (which he only discovered by starting Clark, another Howe mistake).

The narrative seems to have shifted from "squad shit, Bruce making it worse" to "squad so shit that nobody in the world could fix it" just so people can defend Eddie Howe. He's hoodwinked so many on this forum and it's plain as day he's not up to the job.

6 minutes ago, Klaus said:

The only player who has clearly improved under him is Joelinton. Not convinced about anyone else. I like him and want him to succeed, but so far it hasn't been good enough.

Even Joelinton. We’re all laughing because he’s been notably better than he was up front but are we honestly saying we’d rather have him than two or three real central midfielders with genuine quality? In the non-relegation scenario Joelinton is nowhere near the side.

Edited by Billy Pilgrim

1 minute ago, macphisto said:

Each to their own but he doesn't to me. Indeed, I find him quite bland. He's well presented, probably had good media training as he talks well enough but that's not charisma in my book.

I feel the same way. He seems like very nice guy, who knows lot more about football than me and you, but it seems like he lacks character and toughness of great manager.

Just now, Billy Pilgrim said:

Even Joelinton. We’re all laughing because he’s been notably better than he was up front but are we honestly saying we’d rather have him than two or three real central midfielders with genuine quality? In the non-relegation scenario Joelinton is nowhere near the side.

Disagree, i think the new look Joelinton in midfield is class tbh :lol:. Sadly he is making up for the lack of graft from the two plodders near him who are stealing a living.

I've said it before but I do think Howe comes out with some PFM stuff like [emoji38]

He clearlly blagged the interview with his knowlege of our squad and the knowhow to change what was needed too.

I'm not going to go over the top, we'll see how we are in the next two games or so, but if I'm being honest a less likeable bloke and I'd be wanting him sacked. It's shit, because I know he's better than this, but nothing's working for him.

Deffinitely think a clearout of the coaching staff was needed long ago too, and I don't think Howe should have been allowed to bring in his own number 2, unfortunately probably too late for that now like.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

2 minutes ago, Klaus said:

Disagree, i think the new look Joelinton in midfield is class tbh :lol:. Sadly he is making up for the lack of graft from the two plodders near him who are stealing a living.

I think Joelinton is fine in that position too, if he can maintain current performance levels. He's breaking up play as well as anyone outside of the top 6 tbh, it's not even a meme anymore. 

I'm torn. 

Bar a select few I really actively dislike the majority of our squad. That's either because they aren't good enough or it feels like they aren't giving enough. Even ASM has started to frustrate me with his dallying on the ball - but then he is our most consistent threat. 

I have the same back and forth with Eddie Howe. When he took over I was excited, and maybe I over-estimated what he could do with this squad, but even after the Brentford game I felt there was a vibrance in attack and that with a better CB and Dubravka in goal we'd be grand. Instead it feels like we've retreated a bit. I can't decide if that's a move from Howe or the players are just that shell shocked that they panic. It could be both. Either way, I think I'd hoped we'd see more structure to our play going from Bruce to Howe, and I simply haven't. 

To be clear, I think it would have been worse under Bruce. The players had clearly lost confidence in him and mutiny was afoot. That's why I find myself looking back at the players, because we've swapped the manager and they still haven't got their arses in gear. The spine of the team was at one stage quite resilient and tough, but Wilson aside (and Wood) it feels like it beats itself these days. 

Right now I'm not sold on Eddie for next season regardless of what division we're in. If we do go down we simply cannot afford more than one season in the Championship, and I'd be worried about giving him that chance based on what I've seen so far. 

6 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Because we all sat here and said "The squad is terrible but Bruce is the fucking pits, this team would be doing better under someone even halfway competent".

And Howe has come in, and made absolutely no impact whatsoever other than stumbling upon Joelinton being a canny CM (which he only discovered by starting Clark, another Howe mistake).

The narrative seems to have shifted from "squad shit, Bruce making it worse" to "squad so shit that nobody in the world could fix it" just so people can defend Eddie Howe. He's hoodwinked so many on this forum and it's plain as day he's not up to the job.

At best, this current squad is 15th in the league. 

It has absolutely massive deficiencies across the whole lot and the core has had a habit of being diabolical for long stretches. That includes Rafa's time here.

What would you be doing differently?

1 minute ago, Pilko said:

On the flip side to this, there can be a bit more nuisance than "He's shite" or "he's great" and people can have different opinions, there can be a shade of grey. I personally have seen a marked improvement in the team since he's arrived, tactically we have been much better, and in every game there has been a clear gameplan and under different circumstances we would be out of the relegation zone right now, but Howe's game management has been a bit of a miss then a hit, and has probably cost us points, it doesnt always have to be to the extremes.

You seem to like accusing people of backing him to the hilt, that he's "Hoodwinked" people but you cant seem to realize that your own viewpoint is also too far the other way.

19 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I’m not massively ITK or anything but I’ve heard nothing good about our scouting .

I’ve heard poor reports as well. I believe Nickson needs to go and we need that side of things completely rebuilt. It sounds League 1 level at the moment 

15 minutes ago, Pilko said:

You're not wrong Pilko, but that suggests we're starting from game one. 

That useless old bag of shite that is Steve Bruce chewed up some very winnable games himself. Southampton, Watford, Tottenham are just three examples. I honestly think if he'd won against Brentford he'd have believed in his ideas and we'd be 5-10 points better off. 

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah it’s fucking dreadful. I find it insane they have access to the whole of football and the best they could do was Chris Wood?. It’s not good at all 

Well from what has been said, its what Howe wanted, a big man.