Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, Yelevats said:

I’ve highlighted the fact he wasn’t very good 👍🏻 

which is the case.

Highlighted is a nice way of putting it. I would have said that you beat a dead horse, backed over it with a monster truck a few times, then blew it to bits with dynamite like that beached whale in Oregon.

As had been said by others, it's the lack of improvement in our attacking play that is most concerning of all IMO. I wasn't expecting any miracles defensively with our personnel, but aside from retaining the ball better (some of the time), there has been very little in terms of patterns of play which make me believe any kind of tactical transformation is on the horizon. 

At what point do people think we should consider making a change? I'm not having this argument that we're duty-bound to stick with him to the end of the season or even after relegation simply because we chose him post-takeover and there are major issues with the squad. 

Can't pretend I wouldn't love to see Rafa back if things haven't improved significantly in the coming weeks. 

46 minutes ago, Yelevats said:

Boring 🤣🤣🤣

are you happy with Eddie Howe and more importantly are you confident he’s got the ability to keep us up?

Honestly not sure what keeps us up other than spending a fuck load to get the players we need. 

I'm happy to give Howe a chance and he is not the issue... Just my opinion like. 

Pretty disappointed with Howe at this point tbh. I know we're shit but he's not giving us any edge whatsoever. We're utterly incapable at holding a lead and he's extremely accountable for that; the team mentality, the way they're drilled, in-game decisions... its all lacking. Absolute pisstake that we didn't see that out today. 

I'm desperate for him to do well cos I love the way he carries himself. But ergh. Worried at this point that it's not really going very well. 

If he's the key decision-maker re recruitment and he isn't identifying CM as priority one or at the very least two, I think that's a concern. That's where we lost the points on the pitch today. Aye we need CBs. We need everything. But CM would make the biggest difference. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Pretty disappointed with Howe at this point tbh. I know we're shit but he's not giving us any edge whatsoever. We're utterly incapable at holding a lead and he's extremely accountable for that; the team mentality, the way they're drilled, in-game decisions... its all lacking. Absolute pisstake that we didn't see that out today. 

I'm desperate for him to do well cos I love the way he carries himself. But ergh. Worried at this point that it's not really going very well. 

If he's the key decision-maker re recruitment and he isn't identifying CM as priority one or at the very least two, I think that's a concern. That's where we lost the points on the pitch today. Aye we need CBs. We need everything. But CM would make the biggest difference. 

I'm definitely a bit disappointed as well up to this point. difficult not to be. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

I’m very concerned how anybody can watch us today (and all the other times) and not see how weak we are in midfield. We have nobody to cover any ground defensively, let alone create anything and our best midfielder is now Joelinton - this is just insane 

coming to the conclusion that he's not going to coach his way out of this mess. The only way he turns this around is if he buys his way out of it. I like him and think he's got good intentions and ideas but he's not been able to get them into operation when it matters, his players have let him down but it's all about efficiency now. Playing expansive football and being ambitious, committing players forward and "looking better" is all well and good but it needs to translate into better results sooner or later.

I worry for him tbh.   

My main gripe with Howe is that he continues to have in Shelvey as the first name on the team sheet. I get that it was required for his first two months here when his hands were tied without a transfer window to call on, but he should be demanding better players in this key area of the pitch. I will judge him when the window closes to see if we have the ‘balance’ he keeps talking about, but to say I’m concerned is an understatement 

1 minute ago, midds said:

coming to the conclusion that he's not going to coach his way out of this mess. The only way he turns this around is if he buys his way out of it. I like him and think he's got good intentions and ideas but he's not been able to get them into operation when it matters, his players have let him down but it's all about efficiency now. Playing expansive football and being ambitious, committing players forward and "looking better" is all well and good but it needs to translate into better results sooner or later.

I worry for him tbh.   

That bold bit is my thoughts on the whole thing, but that's because of the clip of the squad, not a pop at his ability... Not sure who, if anyone, could drag this crop out if the shit we're in. 

This is the only reason why I'm witholding criticism.  

51 minutes ago, Yelevats said:

You haven’t answered the question. 

at least present a constructive intelligent argument if you don’t agree.

Maybe you should give that a try, might make your views a bit more palatable rather than the one liner "He's taking us down" patter.

14 minutes ago, midds said:

I worry for him tbh.   

Far too sensible, Gulag for admin 

19 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

As had been said by others, it's the lack of improvement in our attacking play that is most concerning of all IMO. I wasn't expecting any miracles defensively with our personnel, but aside from retaining the ball better (some of the time), there has been very little in terms of patterns of play which make me believe any kind of tactical transformation is on the horizon. 

At what point do people think we should consider making a change? I'm not having this argument that we're duty-bound to stick with him to the end of the season or even after relegation simply because we chose him post-takeover and there are major issues with the squad. 

Can't pretend I wouldn't love to see Rafa back if things haven't improved significantly in the coming weeks. 

Disgree with this tbh, I think our attacking players all have fundamental flaws, they have had them since the first day they walked through the door. From Miggy and Joelinton with their inability to strike a ball, ASM with his rotten decision making and so on. We have one blue chip forward in Wilson and he stands out a mile. It's precisely the reason Rafa and Bruce went with a defence first policy. 

It's been refreshing to see Howe try and get us playing some football, but first and foremost you have to play to your strengths. If you want Shelvey in midfield you automatically have to sit back so that spaces aren't exploited all around him when he's stood static for 80% of the time. 

I don't get it, Keegan wasn't considered a tactical mastermind, but even he switch formations and dropped Owen into an AM role to get us playing effectively in his second stint at Newcastle. 

I said at the beginning of the window we need to shore up that CM to give us some control in the middle of the park, someone to look forward and make those cutting edge decisions that lead to chances and someone to hold the line at the back, break up play and take the pressure off the defence, if he can't see that then there's a big problem.

Howe wants us to play football the way he wants us to play and at the moment there's a lot of square pegs being jammed into round holes. He's not a Rafa type manager, he can't create a system that benefits the strengths of the personnel he has whilst covering their weaknesses, you hire a manager like Howe, you get him the players he needs. We pull out a blank cheque book or we're going down because these players aren't good enough for what he wants to do.

Some of the blame has to be put on the owners, there should have been a structure in place to facilitate getting the right players, I get they want the right people in the right places but shit or get off the pot.

I know we've got 14 years of Ashley shaped cob webs stinking the place up but we don't have the luxury of time to get it perfect, we just need to get it as right as possible and give the club its best chance of survival. We're all frustrated because right now it feels like there's not enough urgency in anything we do, it feels like we either don't understand the seriousness of the situation or are willfully sleepwalking into relegation.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the blame should be shouldered across the club, players, manager and owners. Patience is running thin, but they deserve the world for getting rid of the previous regime, that doesn't mean we can't be frustrated and can only hope that any mistakes are learned from and not repeated.

Midfield is key, ours is shit

You can give Longstaff and Shelvey to Pep, Klopp and they'll not be able to polish them

If Howe had better alternatives and he was persisting with them then I'd give him stick but we literally have no one else, it's a dire situation 

However what Howe should be doing is demanding 2 new CM's because the current lot will relegate us comfortably, if he can't see how crucial that is then I do worry long term

I think some of the comments are mad and very knee jerk, I thought us of all fanbases around would be the most patient, we put up with 14 years of Ashley and I thought resilience is just a given but I'm seeing far too many people slagging Howe off and writing him off, despite the main issues with the side/squad not of his doing