Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

2 minutes ago, Sean said:

Emery wouldn't have thought Chris Wood was the answer to our needs for one thing. I doubt Gerrard would either.

They both also would be able to attract a better quality of player than Howe. 

I totally take the point on Wood, but posts like this keep ignoring us signing Keiran Trippier

1 minute ago, elbee909 said:

I'd rather Howe than Gerrard. At least he's proven himself, Gerrard's just another one of those names who'll have people playing for him for a bit then run out of steam.

proved what though? Gerrard has won a title 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

I totally take the point on Wood, but posts like this keep ignoring us signing Keiran Trippier

Trippier seemingly wanted to come back urgently and had worked with Howe previously. 

I think people are more referring to Howe not being a big name in football (which is a reasonable POV)

1 hour ago, duo said:

Why are some convinced he will come good?  At Bournemouth he did 'ok' in the PL before he ultimately got them relegated and he actually had decent money to spend. But I saw nothing to say he's the man to take us forward.

ok is a massive understatement, overall he did a brilliant job and to keep a club like Bournemouth in the PL for as long as he did was a remarkable achievement. 

I'm not going to blame Howe for anything that happens this season. This isn't his cross to bear and I'll be disappointed if he gets much stick when we are relegated.

This isn't even Bruce's fault to an extent, the short terms issues of player fitness and professionalism was ofcourse his doing but they can be rectified in a matter of weeks with a new manager and coaching team.

This lays squarely with Ashley, everything he's done to our club will take years and years to put right and even then that's just a bare minimum. I'm staying as calm as possible with the situation we are in because I do have faith the new owners and directors will come good for us. It will take longer than we would like, but it will happen and it will be fucking glorious when it does! 

Neglect since January 2017 is rearing its ugly head. Relegation has been on the cards for ages and runs like the one we're on haven't been rare; 4 wins in 24 in 2017-18, 4 wins in 22 and no wins in the first 10 whilst losing all the home games in that 10 in 2018-19, 4 clean sheets at SJP since June 2020. I was saying pre takeover that any other manager than Bruce would have us away from a relegation battle as we don't have that bad of a squad; more than happy to hold my hands up and say I was wrong. This squad is terrible. No balance, severe lack of quality and defensively inept. 

Should Howe be doing better? Probably. 4 of his 10 games have been against Man U, Man City, Liverpool and Arsenal to give him some slack and individual errors have been costing us; Darlow v Brentford, Clark v Norwich, the concession of that bollocks penalty at Leicester, Shelvey v Liverpool Dubravka v Cambridge, could go on. Now you could counter this by saying that Howe continues to pick those who make the errors but do we have anyone else? The midfield options are shit, the CB options are shit. 

What's alarming me mind is we seem to have gone backwards offensively whilst still being dross defensively. Against Brentford we were superb going forward, likewise against Burnley in the 2nd half and against Man Utd. To muster 1 shot on target at home to a Watford side who are yet to keep a clean sheet this season however is tbh, a joke. Probably needs to rethink this 4-3-3 until we can sign a midfielder and at least 1 CB. 

Lastly I knew that the shadow of Benitez would loom large on here. People need to move on, the ship has sailed and he has failed at his 2 jobs since leaving us, churning out those garbage results with an Everton side far better than ours. In addition to that he's ostracised Rodriguez and Digne whilst continuing to play a vastly underperforming Rondon. I'm going to reserve judgement on Howe until the end of February to see where we are in the league, how the squad looks and if we've improved. Even still, he's probably well suited to bringing us back up if we were to go down.

35 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

I'm not going to blame Howe for anything that happens this season. This isn't his cross to bear and I'll be disappointed if he gets much stick when we are relegated.

This isn't even Bruce's fault to an extent, the short terms issues of player fitness and professionalism was ofcourse his doing but they can be rectified in a matter of weeks with a new manager and coaching team.

This lays squarely with Ashley, everything he's done to our club will take years and years to put right and even then that's just a bare minimum. I'm staying as calm as possible with the situation we are in because I do have faith the new owners and directors will come good for us. It will take longer than we would like, but it will happen and it will be fucking glorious when it does! 

Totally agree with this. It's very early days in the great scheme of things. Fat Mike left a crumbling, hollow shell, no money in the world will fix the mess he left in a few weeks or months....but all things considered we are moving in the right direction, there will be hiccups along the way but NUFC and the changes are going to be massive..... far bigger than we have ever known and possibly far bigger than football has known.

1 hour ago, DMLeazesender said:

Totally agree with this. It's very early days in the great scheme of things. Fat Mike left a crumbling, hollow shell, no money in the world will fix the mess he left in a few weeks or months....but all things considered we are moving in the right direction, there will be hiccups along the way but NUFC and the changes are going to be massive..... far bigger than we have ever known and possibly far bigger than football has known.

I agree I think overcoming the Ashley effect and latterly the Bruce effect was always going to take a monumental effort. I did expect a greater improvement with Howe though particularly going forward. I think he’s got some big decisions wrong and our defence hasn’t been tightened up one iota. Ultimately though I just don’t think these players are good enough which is symptomatic of the Ashley regime over all these years. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

7 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I agree I think overcoming the Ashley effect and latterly the Bruce effect was always going to take a monumental effort. I did expect a greater improvement with Howe though particularly going forward. I think he’s got some big decisions wrong and our defence hasn’t been tightened up one iota. Ultimately though I just don’t think these players are good enough which is symptomatic of the Ashley regime over all these years. 

Totally agree with all of that.... turning round NUFC after years of Ashleys neglect is like turning round the QE2..... the takeover fairy tale hasn't delivered the results we expected or hoped for.... but slowly and surely the ship is finally moving in the right direction.

40 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

On the flip side, Howe knew exactly what he had to achieve and so far is failing to do so. 

As @ManDoonpointed out, if Bruce was a terrible as we all believe he is, shouldn’t Howe be getting more out of the team?

He should be, and he has gotten more out of them in his time here than Bruce was able to get this season. Not saying much like, given that Bruce was practically winging it.

I've said a few times now that he's improved us tactically and its individual errors and shit refereeing that's been costing us. The last 2 games now though against Watford and Cambridge have worried me and we seem to be going backwards. Both tactically and offensively, while the defensive issues are still there to be seen. Questions need to be asked, he isn't infallible but I really do resent the clamour for a Benitez return.

4 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

He should be, and he has gotten more out of them in his time here than Bruce was able to get this season. Not saying much like, given that Bruce was practically winging it.

I've said a few times now that he's improved us tactically and its individual errors and shit refereeing that's been costing us. The last 2 games now though against Watford and Cambridge have worried me and we seem to be going backwards. Both tactically and offensively, while the defensive issues are still there to be seen. Questions need to be asked, he isn't infallible but I really do resent the clamour for a Benitez return.

But that’s the point right? We are comparing him to a manager who can barely be described as a manager and when we examine the results he’s not doing much better. 

I think Howe is a good coach, but in his last job he couldn’t turn around a sinking ship and he has no track record of going into a club and turning things around. 

Wrong man at the wrong time for me, although in fairness to the owners they had to get someone in before they could set up a proper structure and this is now costing us handsomely. 

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

But that’s the point right? We are comparing him to a manager who can barely be described as a manager and when we examine the results he’s not doing much better. 

I think Howe is a good coach, but in his last job he couldn’t turn around a sinking ship and he has no track record of going into a club and turning things around. 

Wrong man at the wrong time for me, although in fairness to the owners they had to get someone in before they could set up a proper structure and this is now costing us handsomely. 

The job is a first for Howe in ways despite when he kept Bournemouth in League 2 with the points deductions et cetera so you can't really judge him on that yet imo. When Bournemouth went down they were plagued with injuries and would've stayed up had the goal line technology been turned on at Villa Park.

Regardless, I said before he has this window and February for me to prove his worth. I like him and still am behind him, but fuck me these last 2 games have not done him any favours. Looked clueless after going behind to League 1 opposition and looked clueless after going ahead at home in a crucial game. Bizarre given that his game management was spot on v Burnley, our only other win, when he brought Fernandez on and went 3 at the back to tighten up. If you're going to sit off, do that. 

I’m still 100% behind EH , however he’s got to get into the minds of this team .

That the key , in their minds , they don’t know how to kill a game off , they go into self preservation mode every time , never go looking for a second in truth in these big games . That’s down to the players who remember 80% of that team are utter shite . 

I so wanted us to win yesterday but we aren’t down yet lads , Howay EH .

2 hours ago, r0cafella said:

On the flip side, Howe knew exactly what he had to achieve and so far is failing to do so. 

As @ManDoonpointed out, if Bruce was a terrible as we all believe he is, shouldn’t Howe be getting more out of the team?

Of course he should be getting more out of the team, particularly when combined with the positive atmosphere around the club now. Realistically, he couldn't have made a worse start. I know people will say give him time but we don't have that luxury.

I rate him, want him to do well, but he’s not delivered thus far and although the team is shite, I’ve not seen any massive improvements and it’s worrying. I’m sure we will do well in the Championship mind…

1 hour ago, r0cafella said:

Isn't this exactly what he did at Bournemouth?

We’ve made our bed and all that…

We will go down and I think we will bounce back under Howe and come back up, the minute that happens, get rid…

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

We’ve made our bed and all that…

We will go down and I think we will bounce back under Howe and come back up, the minute that happens, get rid…

can’t argue with this .

I honestly feel a few of them players know for a fine fact they are wanted out of this team/club and don't have the right mindset for this rescue job.

Lacelles/shelvey/longstaff are absolute suicide for us right now and it needs sorted like now.

EH has my support for now, along with the management. But the improvements are marginal and if it is a case of shit personnel, then they need to rectify that sharp.

Nobody is immune to criticism, but when I weigh up what we had 6 month ago to now, I try to mellow a bit because I know(hope) deep down that the club is in better hands going forward