Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, NE27 said:

I honestly feel a few of them players know for a fine fact they are wanted out of this team/club and don't have the right mindset for this rescue job.

Lacelles/shelvey/longstaff are absolute suicide for us right now and it needs sorted like now.

EH has my support for now, along with the management. But the improvements are marginal and if it is a case of shit personnel, then they need to rectify that sharp.

Nobody is immune to criticism, but when I weigh up what we had 6 month ago to now, I try to mellow a bit because I know(hope) deep down that the club is in better hands going forward 

mate it was my worry from the minute we were took over .

the players know they will be gone so why try ? Sadly it’s coming to fruition.

1 minute ago, NE27 said:

I honestly feel a few of them players know for a fine fact they are wanted out of this team/club and don't have the right mindset for this rescue job.

Lacelles/shelvey/longstaff are absolute suicide for us right now and it needs sorted like now.

EH has my support for now, along with the management. But the improvements are marginal and if it is a case of shit personnel, then they need to rectify that sharp.

Nobody is immune to criticism, but when I weigh up what we had 6 month ago to now, I try to mellow a bit because I know(hope) deep down that the club is in better hands going forward 

I’d honestly go all out and buy a whole new team if need be, fuck the wasters stealing a living here.

10 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

In league 1 sure. Not many elite managers at that level mind. 

You can't completely discount it just because it was two levels below, whatever the level you've got to grab the entire club by the scruff of the neck. In some ways it's more difficult at a lower level due to the lack of resources available to you.

Just now, HTT II said:

I’d honestly go all out and buy a whole new team if need be, fuck the wasters stealing a living here.

On the showings since Howe came in, hell, since we got promoted! We have needed to overhaul the entire squad.

We are a joke of a PL team cobbled together with journeymen and championship players.

We've knew it for ages but had to back what we've got because Mike Ashley thought it was easier to give extensions to contracts because replacements were too expensive (Hayden/Gayle etc.)

Unless we make significant changes with proven quality this window I'd say we are down. And I'll take it just for the absolute purging that should commence, it'll feel lush.

5 minutes ago, NE27 said:

Thats well summed up. I’m pissed off and deflated because I care again. I loved being back in the Gallowgate and singing again yesterday. Longterm I can see hope and ambition and I’m in it for the long haul which is key for me. I still feel pretty grim today though.

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

You can't completely discount it just because it was two levels below, whatever the level you've got to grab the entire club by the scruff of the neck. In some ways it's more difficult at a lower level due to the lack of resources available to you.

It hasn’t translated here yet which is of great concern. 

Fair play though, your entitled to your view and of course we have a boatload of mitigating circumstances but for me the bottom line is, the job was to come here and keep us in the league and from where I’m sitting this is looking  increasingly unlikely. 

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

It hasn’t translated here yet which is of great concern. 

Fair play though, your entitled to your view and of course we have a boatload of mitigating circumstances but for me the bottom line is, the job was to come here and keep us in the league and from where I’m sitting this is looking  increasingly unlikely. 

I completely agree, except for the fact that I think relegation is absolutely nailed on at this stage without 2 or 3 great signings.

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

1 minute ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Thats well summed up. I’m pissed off and deflated because I care again. I loved being back in the Gallowgate and singing again yesterday. Longterm I can see hope and ambition and I’m in it for the long haul which is key for me. I still feel pretty grim today though.

I hadn't watched a full game since the start of Bruce's tenure. Never watched highlights and struggled to come on here and read the constant in-fighting and despair.

We still have in-fighting but it's now because we are all back in and feel something. And that's a positive :thup:

I said I'd take relegation if it meant feeling something for my club again, unfortunately I'm getting my just desserts[emoji38]

12 minutes ago, NE27 said:

I hadn't watched a full game since the start of Bruce's tenure. Never watched highlights and struggled to come on here and read the constant in-fighting and despair.

We still have in-fighting but it's now because we are all back in and feel something. And that's a positive :thup:

I said I'd take relegation if it meant feeling something for my club again, unfortunately I'm getting my just desserts[emoji38]

what kind of dessert? 😂 Victoria sponge? 

18 minutes ago, NE27 said:

Is that not balanced by getting more out of other players being enthused by the future ahead such as Wilson, Joelinton, Willock, Lewis, Saint-Maximin, Dubravka and possibly others? I'm not saying they all have a future at the club but nearly all footballers have an ego that surely Howe could tap into as a means of motivating them by future opportunities at the club.

Based on Howe's last season at Bournemouth and so far at Newcastle, the bloke has forgot how to win at the top level.

Fair point.

I personally believe joelinton has improved and Lewis, even Murphy to a degree.

Wilson was enthused but his performances were a bit iffy prior to injury, although the way we were playing was basically giving him scraps to convert.

If we can put some real quality in the middle of the pitch this January I'm confident we can start turning some draws into wins.

EH wasn't my first choice, but he said the right things and the owners were impressed by his interview so I've tried to put a but trust In him.

I'll be honest, I was so sick of being negative and hating nufc I'm struggling to get myself too worked up now. The very fact conversation is so charged now is that we all want the club to stay up and push on, 6 months ago I wouldn't have gave a fuck.

I really don’t see it as people ‘turning on’ Howe. Ten games is a decent staging post for judging results. He’s won one, it’s not good enough. I’m still supportive of him and I’ll go and sing his name in SJP until he gives me reason not to, but if I was in charge at NUFC I’d be starting to think right now about how long I’m giving him on this form and who I could replace him with.

I don't think anyone is blaming EH or the consortium. I think everyone agrees under MA we were down. The new owners gave us a chance to stay up, but due to the damage MA had done to the club it was a minimal at best. I think what is in question was whether EH was the right man to take on that burden of keeping us up.  And I don't think it means people aren't behind EH, I think everyone hopes he does well. Personally I will never blame EH if we do gp down, those weeds were sown long before he came.

Edited by duo

2 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

I really don’t see it as people ‘turning on’ Howe. Ten games is a decent staging post for judging results. He’s won one, it’s not good enough. I’m still supportive of him and I’ll go and sing his name in SJP until he gives me reason not to, but if I was in charge at NUFC I’d be starting to think right now about how long I’m giving him on this form and who I could replace him with.

Would you trust staveley and mehrdad again to make the managerial choice?

I know PIF were supposedly in agreement on Howe, but do you think they sort of just allowed AS to push on in her management of the club?

I think we need the right man in place as DOF before we make anymore big decisions. We need a clear vision for how they want this club to be and allow this person to make the moves.

14 hours ago, Pilko said:

Because we all sat here and said "The squad is terrible but Bruce is the fucking pits, this team would be doing better under someone even halfway competent".

And Howe has come in, and made absolutely no impact whatsoever other than stumbling upon Joelinton being a canny CM (which he only discovered by starting Clark, another Howe mistake).

The narrative seems to have shifted from "squad shit, Bruce making it worse" to "squad so shit that nobody in the world could fix it" just so people can defend Eddie Howe. He's hoodwinked so many on this forum and it's plain as day he's not up to the job.

Good post. Sums up my thoughts exactly.

2 minutes ago, NE27 said:

Would you trust staveley and mehrdad again to make the managerial choice?

I know PIF were supposedly in agreement on Howe, but do you think they sort of just allowed AS to push on in her management of the club?

I think we need the right man in place as DOF before we make anymore big decisions. We need a clear vision for how they want this club to be and allow this person to make the moves.

I’ve been pondering this most of the morning. The only way we change manager now is if we have someone who is literally ready to come in who is a significant upgrade and we are prepared to spend whatever it takes to get a functioning team. 

If that isn’t the case then we should wait and get the structure in place as you have said. 

I don't think I want Howe to be sacked but I think it is totally right that some questions are asked. At times the football has improved but sadly its a result business and we aren't getting. People will argue we play better football(?) and are more attacking (1 shot on target at home against Watford etc etc). I am well aware he doesn't have much to work with but playing devils advocate, why sack Bruce if its purely down to the players? (btw, I was desperate for Bruce to go and I am not suggesting he should have stayed).

Brentford at home - totally winnable, should have won but didn't, individual mistakes cost us - 2 points dropped

Arsenal away - a routine 2-0 defeat, didn't expect to win but never looked like winning

Norwich at home - started Clark for some reason, that decision sadly cost us a game we should have won - 2 points dropped

Burnley at home - job done, fair enough

Leicester away - went there with some hope of a point, absolutely abysmal performance

Liverpool away - expected defeat, played well tbf

Man City at home - expected defeat, done ok

Man Utd at home - played well, should have won but didn't, Wilson injury didn't help - still 2 points dropped

Cambridge at home - appalling, we lost at home in front of 52k fans against a league 1 side when we were desperate for a win and some confidence

Watford at home - poor, 1 shot on target at home against a team with 7 straight defeats, extremely poor after going 1 up - another 2 points dropped

I like Howe and I want him to do well but I think its right he is criticised. I'd love him to turn it round and maybe with the right backing he will but I'm not so sure anymore. 

I said from the start that I felt Howe has the wrong person, nothing I have seen up to now has changed my mind, we’re still very poor defensively, but now sit 15 yards higher up the pitch so there is even more space behind us. 

Guest reefatoon

I’ll be seriously questioning him if he hasn’t identified any midfielders before the end of the window. If he can’t see that glaring weakness in our team then that’s a worry. Hopefully he has that rectified by the end of the month.

8 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

I’ll be seriously questioning him if he hasn’t identified any midfielders before the end of the window. If he can’t see that glaring weakness in our team then that’s a worry. Hopefully he has that rectified by the end of the month.

This is where i stand as well. Yesterday highlighted the weak areas so much, if this isn’t resolved in the next couple of weeks and the results stay the same (obviously resulting in relegation) then we need think about looking elsewhere, its too early to do that now I reckon. Getting out of the championship with the majority of the squad we have wouldn’t be a forgone conclusion either, we need to bin most of them tbh. I really like EH as a bloke and hope he can turn our form around, just becoming more pessimistic with each match. 

Indeed, and it didn’t inspire confidence when Howe went out of his way in the pre-Watford press conference to say that Sean Longstaff had “a long term future at the club”. Granted, for various reasons he can’t go ahead and say “tbh, I intend to piss him off at a hundred miles an hour”, but surely he could have left the door for him to leave at least slightly ajar, because for a long time now Longstaff hasn’t looked fit for purpose (even if his surprisingly good performance against Man U was encouraging). 

I think a Gerrard would’ve helped with a new manager boost at the least.  

in our situation there’s always the chance players mentally log out because they know they won’t be part of the long-term project.  A Gerrard appointment, certainly for the English players would energise them.  

IMO Bruce would have won more points if not for the toxic crowd.  

11 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

in our situation there’s always the chance players mentally log out because they know they won’t be part of the long-term project.  A Gerrard appointment, certainly for the English players would energise them.  

Oh ffs 

13 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

No