Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

I really don't think he's the right man to this club forward. Even if he somehow manages to keep us up, he doesn't have the profile to attract the best players we as a club can attract, he has no experience of how a big, successful club should be set up or ran, he hasn't succeeded anywhere other than Bournemouth, he hasn't got experience of coming into a failing team and keeping them in the PL, in short he has pretty much no relevant experience that I would look for in a candidate for the job. My initial reaction was one of bemusement and head scratching, but I did hope that he could assuage those fears. 

I'm not saying I want Rafa back, however I was hoping to be able to replace my avatar of Rafa with him. Just can't see that happening though.

Edited by Sean

My main worry with Howe was/is does he have the cult of personality to manage a club like ours, he’s a nice guy, very straight and decent, but does he have the ruthlessness or strength of character maybe needed to cultivate a winning team on and off the pitch and I’m mainly worried about Tinsdale, for no real reason, other than a hunch that he’s not someone who can galvanise and motivate players as a number 2.

I’m probably being harsh on him and my thoughts are totally unfounded, but I just have this hunch with him for some reason. I like Howe though, I think he’s an exceptionally gifted coach/manager and he comes across so well and if I was a player under him I’d relish what he brings, but it’s not so easy say managing Bournemouth and then go to NUFC, especially after 14 years of neglect and in the circumstances we are in.

I’m on record stating we will go down, and I do feel he will bring us back up, if so, I’d be saying thank you, here is a nice pay off and look to someone with the right characteristics to manage a big club like ours.

Ideally, he keeps us up, we rebuild, he takes us up a few levels and we kick on under him. I do feel we lack the right kind of players not just ability wise, but mainly character wise for a Howe revolution and that maybe shows in the results and performances since he arrived. I’d honestly get rid of them all minus Dubravka, Joelinton, ASM (at a push), Wilson, Trippier and Wood. That’s what we are dealing with here.

Edited by HTT II

I don’t care about his charisma, or how cool he looks, or whether he says PFM things. I care about points and results. Eddie clearly isn’t a dickhead which is a huge boon in his favour but if you put a gun to my head and say, do you want a guy who isn’t aggravating, or do you want a complete bastard who dances on the graves of his defeated enemies on a weekly basis, I am going to pick the bastard. Sorry not sorry. Life is too short to stick with losers for abstract reasons, and this is true beyond football. Politics, work, relationships, everything. Your fight and drive to push against the universe as hard as you can is what brings victory.

Edited by Billy Pilgrim

Despite the individual mistakes we should have taken 3 pts from Norwich, Brentford, and Watford. We should have saw off Man United too. 8 pts man. 20 pts total and we’d be 15th place. We’d be confident in staying up. Whether that’s down to Howe or the players or both, the man who manages the team has to shoulder the responsibility.  

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I think a Gerrard would’ve helped with a new manager boost at the least.  

in our situation there’s always the chance players mentally log out because they know they won’t be part of the long-term project.  A Gerrard appointment, certainly for the English players would energise them.  

IMO Bruce would have won more points if not for the toxic crowd.  

:lol:  Where have you been hiding? It was the toxic crowd who got rid of Bruce right? Did you read Ron Liddle's column today?

1 hour ago, neesy111 said:

He hasn't orgnaized us imo, this is why he was the wrong guy for the short-term situation we are in.  We needed organizing badly, we've kept 1 clean sheet all season which is unacceptable.

Yeah, my mate is a season ticket holder and says exactly that, players have no discipline and are all over the plae 

I’d have Rafa back, no questions asked. Even if he then took us down I’d trust him completely to take this club where it needs to be. I don’t get that feeling with Howe, but he needs much more time either way.

It looks pretty certain that we’re going to go down, which delays the transformation of the club. I think Howe needs the next two seasons to show what he can do.

1 hour ago, neesy111 said:

He hasn't orgnaized us imo, this is why he was the wrong guy for the short-term situation we are in.  We needed organizing badly, we've kept 1 clean sheet all season which is unacceptable.

Apologises as my post should have said, 'i can understand why he hasn't'

You're not wrong either, organised we haven't been. But his defensive record at Bournemouth was atrocious, it was about goals scoring, that's not going to work with us, especially with our lack any forward attacking plans over the last few seasons.

It's effectively a four team mini league now for survival. Looking like a minimum of 6 wins from 18 games to survive after 1 win in 20 so far. Unlikely unless we can get a decent CB and CM in before the window shuts.

Toxic crowd, they were asking for a wave early on in the season man, he’s had the easiest of rides of any of our shit managers and he’s arguably the worst of them all, except Pardew of course!

38 minutes ago, 1964 said:

Yeah, my mate is a season ticket holder and says exactly that, players have no discipline and are all over the plae 

The Watford game was textbook Bruce. I’ve got to be honest I thought there would have been signs of a change by now.  Disappointed so far. 

Edited by RS

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

I’d have Rafa back, no questions asked. Even if he then took us down I’d trust him completely to take this club where it needs to be. I don’t get that feeling with Howe, but he needs much more time either way.

It looks pretty certain that we’re going to go down, which delays the transformation of the club. I think Howe needs the next two seasons to show what he can do.

I'd not touch Rafa now like, despite being a staunch supporter when he was here. He's making a pig's ear of the Everton job. You could argue he needs more time, but then you could make the same argument for Howe. Rafa's methods are outdated in the modern era, for teams who aspire to greatness at least. 

Guest neesy111
2 hours ago, Bimpy474 said:

Apologises as my post should have said, 'i can understand why he hasn't'

You're not wrong either, organised we haven't been. But his defensive record at Bournemouth was atrocious, it was about goals scoring, that's not going to work with us, especially with our lack any forward attacking plans over the last few seasons.

The worry as well is we've scored less goals under Howe as well than under Bruce.

Edited by neesy111

59 minutes ago, TRon said:

I'd not touch Rafa now like, despite being a staunch supporter when he was here. He's making a pig's ear of the Everton job. You could argue he needs more time, but then you could make the same argument for Howe. Rafa's methods are outdated in the modern era, for teams who aspire to greatness at least. 

There is something fundamentally wrong with that Everton team, even carlo ancelotti (one of the current best managers in the world) could only get that team 10th with all of that talent 

8 minutes ago, Elliottman said:

Until he’s had a couple of windows and gets 6-7 new players it’s really difficult to judge him. 

His remit is to keep us up so we can judge him. You can also judge a manager by how much a team improves.

I really hope he does turn it around but so far I've been very disappointed by him. As someone said previously, we're now scoring fewer goals than under Bruce. One shot on target against Watford at home is terrible.

I suspect Rafa becoming available will now put added pressure on Howe to succeed, perhaps from a section of the fans but also from Mandy who wanted Rafa from the start of their involvement. I'd like us to give Howe a chance tbh, I do like the idea of having an attacking team, the new entertainers, very much... but I also loved Rafa's approach to running the club while he was here, I always felt like we had a chance of getting something, even with the dross players and complete lack of investment he was restricted to, his involvement in everything, including the community.

People are getting naturally and understandably jumpy given our predicament and how much staying up means to our swift progress as a club. I just can't see changing managers helping the situation at all regardless of who  they bring in. 

While there are mistakes like keeping Dummett on a full game when he wasn't fit enough, It's the players letting Howe down imo. 

For the owners to put so much faith in Howe they have to give him the season at least, if not next year in the championship. He is still building "his team" and ethos admist unhelpful comments from leaders in the squad like Hayden about players not going to leave if they are pushed. The core of this club is rotten and needs gutting and replacing. It takes time in most new jobs though regardless of the industry. 

It was widely accepted he had an uphill battle with some saying impossible when he took over. This transfer window was and is everything and it's not his fault if we don't get what is needed in. 

I'm gutted we haven't shown the earlier progress continue in an offensive nature. The limitations and attitude of our spine has beaten any renewed confidence along with wretched refereeing/var. 

If we replace the midfield and central defence with leadership and quality, we still have a chance. It's a very awkward place to be buying players when it looks more likely we go down.

36 minutes ago, Elliottman said:

Until he’s had a couple of windows and gets 6-7 new players it’s really difficult to judge him. 

His job atm the minute is not to get us into Europe, or win things it is to keep us up.  Granted he inherited a mess but he knew the brief when he came in so it's only right he's judged on it.

12 minutes ago, duo said:

His job atm the minute is not to get us into Europe, or win things it is to keep us up.  Granted he inherited a mess but he knew the brief when he came in so it's only right he's judged on it.

As each week goes by, it gets harder to see us escaping relegation but its so tight at the bottom, anything could happen and we still have a chance.  Howe has my full support - I have reservations but I honestly think, the players need to step up here.  If we get in 2 CB and 2 CMs then he has been given the tools to succeed and the emphasis will be on him to prove he has what it takes.

Some suggesting ditching Howe for Rafa, to me that is wanting change for change sake.    I personally wouldn't go anywhere near Rafa, he has had his time, never go back!

2 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Personally, if we get relegated, I don’t think Howe should be kept on to get us promoted.

I’d be reluctant to have confidence in a manager who would have at that point completely failed in his original ask to keep us up.

Despite the original ask being incredibly difficult?

I'm quite the opposite. If we go down, I can't think of many managers of a better standard who would be prepared to take on the challenge.

1 minute ago, STM said:

Despite the original ask being incredibly difficult?

I'm quite the opposite. If we go down, I can't think of many managers of a better standard who would be prepared to take on the challenge.

Taking over this team in October with a few points a drift wasn't "incredibly difficult".. A challenge for sure, but some of his decisions have already cost us points that would have placed us out of the bottom 3.

Edited by Menace