Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Sorry to nitpick - but believe the first game of the next season was 1-1 draw away at Old Trafford. Won first home game - 1-0 Bolton, Nolan pissed a pen for them. (obviously doesnt make difference to your point)

Yeah you're right. Jonas had a stormer I remember. Always wonder what KK would have made of that team. Wouldn't have been relegated, I know that fine well.

2 hours ago, Shearergol said:

We all need to keep that in mind I think.

I remember a few games in and we lost 0-1 at home to Blackburn I think it was to an injury time winner and I thought that it was never going to come right.

I'm definitely not comparing Keegan with Howe here, but the situations have some similarity in that we were a team in transition and it took a period of getting through shit results with improved performances to getting the results to go along with it. It clicked against Fulham at home and by the time we played Reading (still the best football I've seen Newcastle play since Keegan 1.0 - as pathetic as that is) we were fully off and running. The Sunderland 2-0 was about as comfortable and dominating a derby as I can think of, even the 5-1.  Up until we properly got going, we had a run of 4 goals in 8 matches and 0 wins in 12, with a frontline of Owen, Viduka, and Martins.

Edited by Kid Icarus

9 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Lack of linked CM's is really worrying.

What is this man seeing?

Could quite easily be the mistake that takes us down. 

I worry that Howe has a strange take on certain players; Lascelles and Shelvey are dangerously bad and he seems to see them as key players.

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Could quite easily be the mistake that takes us down. 

I worry that Howe has a strange take on certain players; Lascelles and Shelvey are dangerously bad and he seems to see them as key players.

Who else do we have in midfield that could have replaced Shelvey?! 

14 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

What is this man seeing?

from The Athletic yesterday:

“Let’s start with the business they still want to do — which positions are they actively looking to strengthen?

Come February 1, ideally, Newcastle will have signed — on top of Kieran Trippier and Chris Wood — two new centre-backs, a left-back, at least one central midfielder and another forward, while even a goalkeeper addition has not been ruled out.”

“While a regular criticism of Lee Charnley, the previous managing director, was that multiple deals were rarely negotiated at the same time, Newcastle’s recruitment team have been attempting to sign players for several positions simultaneously.”

In midfield, beyond Lingard, several ambitious loan enquiries have been launched for, among others, Donny van de Beek at Manchester United, and Georginio Wijnaldum and Idrissa Gana Gueye at Paris Saint-Germain, to no avail yet. There is, though, a realisation that players are more likely to move on loan towards the end of January, so there is hope quality temporary signings can still arrive.

Todd Cantwell is also liked by Newcastle, though Norwich City’s asking price will need to drop for a deal to be reached. RB Leipzig’s Amadou Haidara, Marseille’s Boubacar Kamara and Lyon’s Bruno Guimaraes have also been scouted extensively.”

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Positive news. 

this administration seem very leaky. So I thought we would hear more about possible CM deals. 

Or else certain other clubs and agents are ‘leaky’ and other clubs and agents are less so. No one knows for sure.

Just now, Elliottman said:

so who? 

Longstaff, Joelinton (slightly ahead of the other two) and Hayden would be our best midfield partnership right now, but one is crocked.

With Hayden injured I’d have prioritised buying a DM, as @ManDoonhas said, even someone relatively unknown at £5m would be more beneficial than having Shelvey walk around the middle of the pitch.

Or, I’d just play the two who are fit and change the formation.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

What is this man seeing?

Can't really answer that definitively until the 31st January. I have a hunch we'll get a CM in next week some time, might be on loan. The priority was said to be defenders and strikers, I can understand that, but we do need a CM, and by that I mean a genuine CM, not a floaty forward who can get in between the lines and score a nice goal such as Cantwell. We need someone who can operate box to box, who can tackle or press effectively, and has good possession stats as well. 

If we don't have one by the end of the window I would definitely be concerned. 

Just now, TRon said:

Can't really answer that definitively until the 31st January. I have a hunch we'll get a CM in next week some time, might be on loan. The priority was said to be defenders and strikers, I can understand that, but we do need a CM, and by that I mean a genuine CM, not a floaty forward who can get in between the lines and score a nice goal such as Cantwell. We need someone who can operate box to box, who can tackle or press effectively, and has good possession stats as well. 

If we don't have one by the end of the window I would definitely be concerned. 

Probably a bit OTT from me. But even if we get a couple of defenders and another striker in. I’d say we’re basically dead certs to go down if we try and plod on with this midfield until the end of the season. 

2 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Probably a bit OTT from me. But even if we get a couple of defenders and another striker in. I’d say we’re basically dead certs to go down if we try and plod on with this midfield until the end of the season. 

Agreed. It’s an essential before the end of the window for me, if we could only have 1 more signing it has to be a CM

4 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

What is this man seeing?

Aye the knee bone's connected to the thigh bone.  If we can't get the central-defender or forwards were after midfield is the next best thing. A good defensive minded one can cover a multitude of sins at the back. To say nothing of the fact that if everybody was fit (Fernandez/Wilson) it would be our weakest part of the field.

Think its the worst I've ever seen.

2 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Aye the knee bone's connected to the thigh bone.  If we can't get the central-defender or forwards were after midfield is the next best thing. A good defensive minded one can cover a multitude of sins at the back. To say nothing of the fact that if everybody was fit (Fernandez/Wilson) it would be our weakest part of the field.

yeah, I just hope that because the CM chatter is the quietest, it means that we are closing in on one or two.  All the media and twitter chatter is BS, IMO.

17 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Despite having prime Wijnaldum & Sissoko available our managers choosing the Anita-Colback pivot is the worst i've ever seen. They didn't have age or injuries as an excuse. They were just bad. Shelvey being an improvement on them both is shocking stuff.

17 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Despite having prime Wijnaldum & Sissoko available our managers choosing the Anita-Colback pivot is the worst i've ever seen. They didn't have age or injuries as an excuse. They were just bad. Shelvey being an improvement on them both is shocking stuff.

Not sure he was an improvement mind, but yeah that was terrible mis-management.