Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, Manxst said:

That’s what the league position says, but we all know that the sole reason we survived last year was because of a never to be repeated patch of record goal scoring from Willock. Without that, we’d have been down and out long before with the squad we still have. And that wasn’t down to Bruce. It was simple good luck. 

Who says its never to be repeated? Why can it not be that Howe is not getting the best out Willock at the moment?

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

The reason I did that is to highlight how bad the majority of our squad is. Those 3 are quality and like-for-like the best players in their position out of those teams, but I think it obscures those teams being stronger as a whole. It gets talked about a lot, but those teams have midfielders and forwards who would walk into team or squad.

Be interesting to do a like for like comparison with Norwich, I haven't really paid much attention to their players.

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

Nah. The season is completely saveable right now with 18 games to go. We are not adrift and our direct rivals are garbage. No excuses.

Oh I agree, its saveable. I just don't think it's all on him if we do drop.

Just now, Wandy said:

Who says its never to be repeated? Why can it not be that Howe is not getting the best out Willock at the moment?

Willock had never played as well as that beforehand. And he looks nothing like it since. Either under Bruce (again, this season), or Howe. 

Just now, Manxst said:

Willock had never played as well as that beforehand. And he looks nothing like it since. Either under Bruce (again, this season), or Howe. 

He'd never been given the chance by anyone beforehand. And yeah, we know that Bruce had ran out of ideas to get anything out of this team. But I think Howe should have gotten at least something out of Willock by now.

Just now, Wandy said:

He'd never been given the chance by anyone beforehand. And yeah, we know that Bruce had ran out of ideas to get anything out of this team. But I think Howe should have gotten at least something out of Willock by now.

You say Willocks form was down to Bruce last year? So why couldn’t he get a tune out of him at the start of the season again? He’s a bang average player who hit the purplest patch of form his career will ever see. 

Just now, Manxst said:

You say Willocks form was down to Bruce last year? So why couldn’t he get a tune out of him at the start of the season again? He’s a bang average player who hit the purplest patch of form his career will ever see. 

Because he got "Bruced". Agree that he's average, but he's also better than what we are seeing now. 

2 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Its a squad that finished 13th last season under a cretin of a manager. If he could get a tune out of them then Howe should be able to too.

It doesn't seem to work like that though, the squad is the same but everyone else has improved and the other shit teams from last year have been relegated. We see this happen year after year, clubs fail to invest over the years and eventually they have a season like the one we're having.

Just off the top of my head you can follow the same pattern with Stoke, Villa, West Brom, Swansea, Fulham before they started yo-yoing, and Wigan. When you watched those teams you could sense relegation was in the post and this Newcastle squad's no different.

My main point in all this is that it's about time proper pressure and expectation was place on Howe's shoulders. He has understandably been given a free ride so far due to that state of the club and playing squad two months ago. But its now time to see if he can deliver at a big, high profile club when the pressure is on.

Just now, Wandy said:

Because he got "Bruced". Agree that he's average, but he's also better than what we are seeing now. 

Sorry- I thought you said his form last year was due to Bruce’s coaching?

“Its a squad that finished 13th last season under a cretin of a manager. If he could get a tune out of them”

And now youre saying he’s been ‘Bruced”? You can’t have it both ways. 

I’ll say it again- we only survived last year because of a never to be repeated stroke of luck that Willock hit record breaking goal scoring form. 

yes, Howe could improve Willock- he’s probably playing as bad as anyone in the squad at the moment. But he’ll never be a world beater.

Just now, Manxst said:

Sorry- I thought you said his form last year was due to Bruce’s coaching?

“Its a squad that finished 13th last season under a cretin of a manager. If he could get a tune out of them”

And now youre saying he’s been ‘Bruced”? You can’t have it both ways. 

I’ll say it again- we only survived last year because of a never to be repeated stroke of luck that Willock hit record breaking goal scoring form. 

yes, Howe could improve Willock- he’s probably playing as bad as anyone in the squad at the moment. But he’ll never be a world beater.

No I said he got a tune out of the team. Willock arrived fresh and full of enthusiasm but by the first few games of this season the Bruce coaching effect quickly kicked in. 

Already stated that Willock is no world beater but the current manager should be getting at least some kind of a tune out of him.

Just now, Wandy said:

No I said he got a tune out of the team. Willock arrived fresh and full of enthusiasm but by the first few games of this season the Bruce coaching effect quickly kicked in. 

Already stated that Willock is no world beater but the current manager should be getting at least some kind of a tune out of him.

Ah, gotcha. 

I don’t think he did get a tune out of the squad though. It was simply down solely to Willock scoring every game. The squad was and still is, shit. 

7 minutes ago, Wandy said:

My main point in all this is that it's about time proper pressure and expectation was place on Howe's shoulders. He has understandably been given a free ride so far due to that state of the club and playing squad two months ago. But its now time to see if he can deliver at a big, high profile club when the pressure is on.

im very pro Howe but there comes a point when this guy HAS to deliver / improve players , he needs another win desperately and its showing .

not a pop at him, its nowhere near time for that but either the players are having his pants down or he is struggling to get his message over to them, i think its the players 100%.

This is arguably our worst ever Premier League squad. Worse than 2009 and 2016. 

We’ve improved the squad with two players this window (more than we ever have when previously relegated) and it’s still not enough. 

It took Keegan ten games to reverse what Allardyce had done and that was with superior players to what we have now. This isn’t football manager. It’s real life. The squad is dreadful, we all know how many of them played with us FIVE years ago in the Championship, and yet they’re still playing. There’s also the added bonus of turkeys not voting for Christmas. I’m sure there will be some players who are acutely aware that if we stay up - they’ll be shipped out. 

He’s got a huge job on his hands and I’m not sure who else we would have got in that would be doing any better. Howe wouldn’t have been top of the list and the fact it took weeks to confirm him shows that. Yes we’ve thrown away leads - but how much is that down to the manager? Perhaps Watford at home?

If we stay up it’s a bloody miracle and the fact we’re only a few points off 17th and 10 days left in the window to get a couple more bodies in (I’m sure we’d have been happy with four at the start of the window, and I’m sure we’ll get them) shows we’re not dead and buried yet. 

If we go down, I’ve every faith he’ll get us back up. I remember saying I’d happily get rid of Ashley if it meant going down to L1. So a season in the Championship is a bonus as far as I’m concerned. 

1 minute ago, TheGuv said:

This is arguably our worst ever Premier League squad. Worse than 2009 and 2016. 

We’ve improved the squad with two players this window (more than we ever have when previously relegated) and it’s still not enough. 

It took Keegan ten games to reverse what Allardyce had done and that was with superior players to what we have now. This isn’t football manager. It’s real life. The squad is dreadful, we all know how many of them played with us FIVE years ago in the Championship, and yet they’re still playing. There’s also the added bonus of turkeys not voting for Christmas. I’m sure there will be some players who are acutely aware that if we stay up - they’ll be shipped out. 

He’s got a huge job on his hands and I’m not sure who else we would have got in that would be doing any better. Howe wouldn’t have been top of the list and the fact it took weeks to confirm him shows that. Yes we’ve thrown away leads - but how much is that down to the manager? Perhaps Watford at home?

If we stay up it’s a bloody miracle and the fact we’re only a few points off 17th and 10 days left in the window to get a couple more bodies in (I’m sure we’d have been happy with four at the start of the window, and I’m sure we’ll get them) shows we’re not dead and buried yet. 

If we go down, I’ve every faith he’ll get us back up. I remember saying I’d happily get rid of Ashley if it meant going down to L1. So a season in the Championship is a bonus as far as I’m concerned. 

Im sure he would get us up, question is does he deserve the chance to do it?  Personally id say  yes.

5 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Ah, gotcha. 

I don’t think he did get a tune out of the squad though. It was simply down solely to Willock scoring every game. The squad was and still is, shit. 

Bruce didn't get a tune out of the squad, he just dropped a set of drums down the stairs and got lucky.

I’m as anti Bruce as the next guy, but there was a period of marked upturn and actual wins when Jones joined, and we employed his system of Wilson on the wing / wide forward. This was also around the time, or maybe just before, Willock joined or hit purple patch. We shouldn't rewrite history as we can learn from it. Or at the very least, observe it. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

So people would be happy with him getting say 10 points less than Bruce and giving him even more time? 

Bruce had 20 years of management to compare to (as he kept telling us).

Howe’s 10 years in the game give me much more faith than Bruce.

Just now, TheGuv said:

Bruce had 20 years of management to compare to (as he kept telling us).

Howe’s 10 years in the game give me much more faith than Bruce.

This post makes no sense in the context of my question. 

Bruce is an absolute fraud imagine getting 10 points less than him? 

i so get it; Howe says the right things and isn’t a total cunt but ultimately it’s points that count.