Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, The Prophet said:

Yep, we were in absolute free fall until Jones came in. Similar to his time at Villa the addition of a new coach provided enough of an immediate bounce for Bruce, combined with the excellent form of Willock.

That is what I am getting at. Why haven’t we seen ANY bounce at all, not just with an addition of a new coach, but the entire club, from top to bottom? It’s just really strange. And before the “not FM bro” brigade jump in, I am not laying all the blame on Howe for this. I am genuinely wondering. 

Dean Smith has 3 wins, 2 draws in 11 matches

Eddie Howe has 1 win 4 draws  in 10 matches

You can argue that our team is shit, but our team is not worse than Norwich. This guy has done absolutely nothing so far to justify us to stick by him if he sends us down. In my eyes he's a glorified Scott Parker

The more the season goes on the more it seems like Steve Bruce sabotaged us from pre season.

It’s not just one or two players, it’s the whole squad.. whoever is playing, we’re running on fumes from 70 mins.

So what can Howe do about it, he has no chance to rest players before building up their fitness.. players are literally limping from one week to the next.

Lascelles running in treacle last week, he was never that slow before, clumsy yes but never that slow.

So what is it?

a) unreported covid outbreak in pre season? Players with long covid symptoms.

b) vaccines did something to them

c) trained so badly in pre season it’s affected them for the whole season.

d) they’ve downed tools knowing they are eventually going to be replaced with a core of the players happy to take us down as it might extend their careers here (far fetched but not impossible)

e) Eddie Howe isn’t much better than Steve Bruce? 🤷‍♂️

Just now, r0cafella said:

“Only 27 games” :lol:

It's only 27 games at all because of how obvious it is that the squad's the problem. Look at it this way, if the squad wasn't the problem, he wouldn't have made it to half that amount of games and still have the majority backing him.

Just now, Menace said:

You can argue that our team is shit, but our team is not worse than Norwich. This guy has done absolutely nothing so far to justify us to stick by him if he sends us down. In my eyes he's a glorified Scott Parker

Spot on. 

And I actually like Howe, and am fully behind him. And don’t think he’s Parker. But this idea that we cannot criticize him or ask questions, or that 27 games (!) is not enough to judge him on, with a full transfer window, is insane. 

1 minute ago, Menace said:

I agree with that but I will reserve judgement on him until that either does or doesn't happen. 

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

It's only 27 games at all because of how obvious it is that the squad's the problem. Look at it this way, if the squad wasn't the problem, he wouldn't have made it to half that amount of games and still have the majority backing him.

Same squad Bruce got a mid table finish with. 

remember, Howe is the better coach/ manager shouldn’t we be expecting more?

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

“Only 27 games” :lol:

Rereading your post. I certainly wouldn't be happy, but you're holding a manager to a standard when he's had eleven less games to get there. Unless I've missed your point, it seems an odd one.

Just now, The Prophet said:

Rereading your post. I certainly wouldn't be happy, but you're holding a manager to a standard when he's had eleven less games to get there. Unless I've missed your point, it seems an odd one.

We can average it to PPG if that suits. The point is clear his mandate was to keep us up, he’s had the backing of all parties so far but if he fails he should be dismissed. 

Nothing against him personally or even that he’s a bad manager but he would have failed if we go down. 

Just now, Rich said:

He’d have to go if we went down like. Seems a decent bloke but he’ll have had enough time and backing in the market to turn it around. Don’t think he could have any arguments.

Agree. I like him immensely, but you have to make the best of what you've got. I know this squad has serious failings, but I think shoe-horning players into his preferred formations rather than picking one that suits the players he's got has backfired. 

Let's see what he can do when he brings in players to do his own style, he's still got 18 games left. It's stay up or bust basically. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I agree with that but I will reserve judgement on him until that either does or doesn't happen. 

That's fair, I don't want him out currently either, however the lack of bounce from the players from his appointment has been shocking imo.

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

We can average it to PPG if that suits. The point is clear his mandate was to keep us up, he’s had the backing of all parties so far but if he fails he should be dismissed. 

Nothing against him personally or even that he’s a bad manager but he would have failed if we go down. 

As I've said I think if we go down, it'll very much depends on the manner of it. If we're sat here in May and he's still only won 2-3 games, I'll agree with you.

Edited by The Prophet

7 minutes ago, Menace said:

Absolutely this and absolutely spot on, I wasn’t sure about Howe from the start and after every game so far my fears about him are turning out to be true 

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I think the point is one rooted in objectivity. Any other club, any other year, and a manager who took over in October, received full backing of owners in the transfer window, full backing of fans, spoke about getting a tune out of the squad he took over, but ultimately gets relegated, it would be deemed a failure. Where the blame lies or is attributed is for all of us to parse, but a failure it is, and, objectively, that man in charge has to own some of it. This goes for any walk of life, in any job. 

Edited by DJ_NUFC
Grammar

Think the Dean Smith comparisons are misleading given we have had a significantly harder run of matches than they have - and they would have lost one more and we won one more if not for Ciaran Clark

Edited by Dandy Man

1 minute ago, TRon said:

I still think he'll turn it around fwiw. He deserves the chance to show what he can do with players he brings in to play his own way. 

As stated, I’m fully behind him. I genuinely like the bloke, and he and his team fill me with joy when I see them gesticulating on the touchline. But results do matter. 

I was watching Brighton the other night and was really impressed with how Potter has got them playing. I get the feeling every club is looking for a quick fix these days, rather than allowing a manager to impose his style on the team, with his own players. 

Obviously it's a results business and if you're not winning games you're going to be sacked, but part of me wants to see what Howe can do with a couple of seasons under his belt here.

I wasn't a massive fan of him being appointed, but I don't want to become like Watford and change our manager every 6 months.

I'm not debating whether it'd be a failure or whether he should own some it. It would be and he should. I'm saying I don't necessarily think he should be sacked.

For example being six plus points adrift with a couple of wins would be unforgivable and he'd have to go, but if were to end the season with momentum, winning a decent number of games with an improvement there for all to see and we go down by a point or two, it might be worth keeping him on.

4 minutes ago, Dandy Man said:

Think the Dean Smith comparisons are misleading given we have had a significantly harder run of matches than they have - and they would have lost one mode and we won one more if not for Ciaran Clark

1 win from, Norwich, Brentford, Watford and Cambridge tells you everything you need to know, and you can add an injury ravaged Leeds team that are fielding 16 year olds to that after tomorrow. Howe is plainly the wrong man for the job and proves it more after every game 

Edited by nufcnick

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

Agree. I like him immensely, but you have to make the best of what you've got. I know this squad has serious failings, but I think shoe-horning players into his preferred formations rather than picking one that suits the players he's got has backfired. 

Let's see what he can do when he brings in players to do his own style, he's still got 18 games left. It's stay up or bust basically. 

I don't think he has 18 games to be honest. With Benitez now lurking in the background I think he has about 5 games to show that he WILL get us out of this. Not saying that would be the correct thing to do but I just think it will happen. The murmurs in the fanbase have started and if we are still bottom three at the end of Feb then I think there will be a helluva a noise from that same fanbase.

Just now, nufcnick said:

1 win from, Norwich, Brentford, Watford and Cambridge tell you everything you need to know, and you can add an injury ravaged Leeds team that are fielding 16 year olds to that after tomorrow. Howe is plainly the wrong man for the job and proves it more after every game 

A Conte/Pep/Klopp hybrid would struggle to get anything out of this squad man. No matter how well the likes of Potter are doing, I genuinely doubt whether they’d be able to do any better than Howe with us. The club is just rancid from top to bottom, and certainly throughout the squad. It’s going to take a hell of a long, expensive rebuild to turn this ship around.