Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, Manxst said:

A Conte/Pep/Klopp hybrid would struggle to get anything out of this squad man. No matter how well the likes of Potter are doing, I genuinely doubt whether they’d be able to do any better than Howe with us. The club is just rancid from top to bottom, and certainly throughout the squad. It’s going to take a hell of a long, expensive rebuild to turn this ship around. 

If that’s the case we were absolutely mental to get rid of Bruce as he managed to get some points out of them. 

1 minute ago, Manxst said:

A Conte/Pep/Klopp hybrid would struggle to get anything out of this squad man. No matter how well the likes of Potter are doing, I genuinely doubt whether they’d be able to do any better than Howe with us. The club is just rancid from top to bottom, and certainly throughout the squad. It’s going to take a hell of a long, expensive rebuild to turn this ship around. 

Not sure if you're referring to my point on Potter, but that wasn't what I meant. I meant that managers need time and the good ones manage to get their teams playing a certain way. We don't have that at the moment, partly because the players aren't capable, and partly because Howe hasn't had time to get us playing the way he wants. I'm certain he eventually will, but it will take a couple of years.

8 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

We haven't lost to Leeds yet. Howe deserves some criticism but not on game she hasn't actually played

Feel free to bookmark this post and comeback to me tomorrow after the game, and I bet you I’m the one that’s right

Edited by nufcnick

Just now, ManDoon said:

See I don't necessarily beleive that to be true tbh. Sure the team is dog, but look at how Leeds performed against West Ham, with hugely depleted sqaud. That's all their manager, that's his play style. All the youth players coming on played the way he wanted them to.

Leeds have been pretty tragic for a lot of the season though, according to my mate. It's only been the last few games where they've picked up some form and look properly like their old selves again.

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

If that’s the case we were absolutely mental to get rid of Bruce as he managed to get some points out of them. 

He didn’t though. As I said earlier, the points came purely from a fluke run of form from Willock.

22 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Same squad Bruce got a mid table finish with. 

remember, Howe is the better coach/ manager shouldn’t we be expecting more?

47 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It doesn't seem to work like that though, the squad is the same but everyone else has improved and the other shit teams from last year have been relegated. We see this happen year after year, clubs fail to invest over the years and eventually they have a season like the one we're having.

Just off the top of my head you can follow the same pattern with Stoke, Villa, West Brom, Swansea, Fulham before they started yo-yoing, and Wigan. When you watched those teams you could sense relegation was in the post and this Newcastle squad's no different.

FWIW I do think we're getting more, just not to the extent that it's ending up in wins. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Other than Rafa who would we even get in here go he goes anyway ? We struggled to get anyone in before appointing him and if anything or situation is arguably worse now than it was then. 

I have a different thought on this; the importance is bringing in the right DOF, and let them worry about the manager. 

I do really think he's struggled to get the balance right. We either look relatively compact and turgid in the final third, or we incredibly easy to play through and threatening up top.

Having an absolutely terrible midfield plays a part in that, but it's on him to solve it.

4 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I don't think he has 18 games to be honest. With Benitez now lurking in the background I think he has about 5 games to show that he WILL get us out of this. Not saying that would be the correct thing to do but I just think it will happen. The murmurs in the fanbase have started and if we are still bottom three at the end of Feb then I think there will be a helluva a noise from that same fanbase.

He should have shown more flexibility IMO, and yes results do matter, but long term I think he would be more of an answer than someone like Rafa or Mourinho. Tbh, I'm getting fed up with this harking back to Rafa, he's shown nothing since he left here, he flopped in China, now he's made an even bigger mess at Everton. I really don't want to rag on the bloke, but it's disrespectful to Howe to be talking about him after 11 games. 

Just now, The Prophet said:

I do really think he's struggled to get the balance right. We either look relatively compact and turgid in the final third, or we incredibly easy to play through and threatening up top.

Having an absolutely terrible midfield plays a part in that, but it's on him to solve it.

I'm worried more that it's on Nickson to sort.

3 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Get away man, man for man we have a far better squad that Norwich and look what Dean Smith has got out of them compared to Howe and don’t get me started on Brentford. We are shocking in defence yet still refuses to play our best defender and keeps playing Captain catastrophe no matter the goals he gives away. Howe hasn’t got the balls to drop the players he needs to drop 

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

@ManDoonhas spoken on it before. It can’t be Bruce is awful and so is the squad as we would have been long since relegated. 

I do believe Bruce to be a completely garbage mind. 

I don't think it's as straightforward and linear as that though. We were eight games into a season and the standards of the squad had somehow managed to reach new lows.

4 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Not sure if you're referring to my point on Potter, but that wasn't what I meant. I meant that managers need time and the good ones manage to get their teams playing a certain way. We don't have that at the moment, partly because the players aren't capable, and partly because Howe hasn't had time to get us playing the way he wants. I'm certain he eventually will, but it will take a couple of years.

This. He's playing the right way, just look at all the successful teams these days. But short term he should be prepared to do whatever it takes to keep us up, even if that means parking the bus in the odd game. 

Just now, nufcnick said:

Get away man, man for man we have a far better squad that Norwich and look what Dean Smith has got out of them compared to Howe and don’t get me started on Brentford. We are shocking in defence yet still refuses to play our best defender and keeps playing Captain catastrophe no matter the goals he gives away. Howe hasn’t got the balls to drop the players he needs to drop 

A far better squad? I honestly don’t think we do. Puki, Aarons, Cantwell would easily make ours, as well as others, no doubt.

1 minute ago, nufcnick said:

Right now, Lascelles can't get dropped as we have to other CBs other then Clark, not sure what else Howe is meant to do other then play him :lol:

1 minute ago, DJ_NUFC said:

Probably wrong thread, but what about a diamond again? With Longataff at the bottom of it as terrible DM, ASM left, Fraser right, Willock at the top, free to make runs, press. Behind Wood. 

Longstaff is better at the top of the diamond (still awful) than the bottom of it.

Just now, ManDoon said:

Which is why the no links to CM has me extremely worried. I don't care there are better CMs available in world football than we have now. That's a failure on someones part if we don't get one at the minimum

At this point I feel like Sarah Connor, carving NO CM into a wooden bench with a knife. 

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

FWIW I do think we're getting more, just not to the extent that it's ending up in wins. 

That’s the thing though KI, so your argument is basically our players have regressed so much to the point the manager can’t add value? And everyone else has gotten that much better on top of it? 

It’s just a stretch for me that’s all. As some have pointed out I don’t feel our squad is much different to the other dregs and that come the end of the season Howe will have had enough time for us to make a decision about his future (get rid if relegated for me). 

Edited by r0cafella

Just now, ManDoon said:

Sure but as it stands they have a 11 point buffer from relegation, I agree they have been poor in large but my point is that I think if Simeone came in here we wouldn't be relegated. I don't think the "no manager could turn this around" thing is true. Howe himself beleives it not to be true,

I don't agree with that statement either. I think we'll stay up, personally, but it'll be tight.

I just find the 10 games thing a bit OTT to make big judgments, personally. It's not a long time in football and form/performances can be extremely variable for many reasons. Very good teams/managers go through rough spells (not saying we have either). 

I don't believe his mandate was just to keep us up. After he was appointed Amanda spoke about the possibilities of relegation and that Howe had a lot of experience with getting a side promoted.

If he keeps us up it'll be a massive bonus but this team has been on a massive downwards slide for over 2 years. Some of these players should have been replaced years ago and most of them will never get into another PL side.

After he wanked off Shelvey in regards to him being integral in his plans my faith dwindled. After seeing a even worse squad in Norwich pick up wins, its drifting more away. I dont think Howe has any clue how to save this squad, and honestly was the wrong pick, he might have talked big game at the interview but what he has shown against awful sides leads me to believe that he is not the man to get a tune out of these awful players. You can talk all you want about him getting the players he wants to play how he wants. But this man seemingly talked big game about how the squad was underperforming, how he saw how to fix it, what his plan was with the players. What have we seen? Better fitness and a string of luck to put Joe in midfield after Clark decided to be a fucking idiot?

He seems like a good guy, but I think we bet on the wrong horse here.