Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

I just felt he could have tried something different. Put Almiron on the left and Fraser on the right to try and stretch it a bit.

Just felt like 96 mins of the same stuff

Possibly because we have zero options and Eddie knows that, as we get better players I am confident we will see more in game management and adapting to the opposition, but hand on heat I don't think any of our bench or some of the players who started are up to changing the formation mid game.

The club EH joined was on it's knees and heading in one direction. Eddie Howe gets eternal credit and respect from me for what he achieved with the disorganized, unfit rabble left behind by the fat fraud. Now he has a different club and different problems.

He has scrutiny from all sides and that comes from the investment we've made (it'll get mentioned at every opportunity by those who hope he fails), leading to massively increased expectation in the "must have it all now" era we live in, even though you have to factor in 15 years of virtually none at all. What we've given him is the basic minimum he needed to get the squad somewhere near where it should be. There's gaps and they'll be filled, just not overnight.

Now he has to have the shoulders broad enough to deal with any inevitable criticism, even from within our own fanbase, who clearly have very short memories. I back him to succeed long term, he just has "it" and one or two scrappy performances and poor results as he deals with injuries to key players and teams who come to frustrate us don't change that.

Edited by LionOfGosforth

Results aren't really indicative of the performances right now imo. We're playing better than the results would suggest but I absolutely accept that there is a large amount of frustration over dropping points. I'm sure Howe is just as pissed off but it's a fine line at the minute because of all of the draws. 

Absolutely not going to start papping my wackers at the draws and I'm sure that the winds will come once we have a few more bodies back. Still got complete faith in Howe to make it happen, now is not the time to start pointing fingers and booing and shit like that, it'll turn soon enough. We need every quality player in the squad on the pitch to play these games and we've barely had that all season. Keep the faith, it'll happen gentlemen :)

16 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Probably his strongest post match comments today. I'm a bit worried he's trying to model us like a proper possession side - that just doesn't sit right in terms of who we are, imo, even if we had the squad we wanted.

Agreed. This is what I’m on about regarding learning about SJP and the fans. A good NUFC team is fast and direct. It has to be.  The crowd will moan and groan with too many sideways passing. 

39 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

What makes Murphy better than Ritchie? Which facet of his game do you think makes him a preferable option? Is it the never finishing a chance, constantly hitting the first man or being knocked off the ball easier than a wet towel? 

Murphy is not a good player, but Ritchie is finished at this level. Ritchie got rinsed quite a few times the last period he was in the side.

35 minutes ago, KaKa said:

100% about certain players for me. 

We are well organised and using the ball well enough.

Certain players in the first 11 are just hopeless.

I think its the players outside the first 11 that are the issue.  A few injuries and we are very average

Also fair to point out that we've only lost 6 league games from 27 going back to December 19th last year and we played Liverpool and Man City 4 times in that time. Also, the prior 2 defeats before that date were also against Liverpool and Man City. 6 fucking fixtures against those teams since the middle of last December. Of those 6 defeats, I honestly think only Spurs and City (A) gave us a real going over. Just need to give even myself that perspective sometimes.

First game this season where I’ve really been annoyed with the result & performance. Palace we should have won also but we were robbed. 

The fact is we don’t score enough goals, however I have full faith in Howe that he will improve us further in that regard, but patience is needed as we need new players. 

On the positive side, although we didn’t play great today we did hit the post twice so easily could have score 2 more, and despite being disappointed with the performance, it was still a different level to the shite we were served up pre-Howe, so it shows how far we have come in a short space of time.

8 minutes ago, STM said:

I rejoice that we have a manager who is critical of a 1-1 home draw, in a game where we dominated.

This is why I'm not worried.

It was a bloody frustrating match in which we had more than enough of the ball to put them to the sword. It's utterly shite that we even had to rely on VAR to salvage the point we did get. But we're playing the right way using a number of players most of us would've been happy to see be moved on under Bruce, let alone Howe.

I think while a different philosophy, we'll see a similarity with Rafa as to his confidence in his methods rather than jumping to some ill-prepared alternative in desperation. And I also think it'll pay off in the long term when we've hopefully gotten a few more through the door in January, and/or ASM and Wilson fit (:yao:). 

2 minutes ago, NWMag said:

First game this season where I’ve really been annoyed with the result & performance. Palace we should have won also but we were robbed. 

The fact is we don’t score enough goals, however I have full faith in Howe that he will improve us further in that regard, but patience is needed as we need new players. 

On the positive side, although we didn’t play great today we did hit the post twice so easily could have score 2 more, and despite being disappointed with the performance, it was still a different level to the shite we were served up pre-Howe, so it shows how far we have come in a short space of time.

These are games we would have lost in the past, we’re putting points on the board when playing without our best 3 players 

Would like to see some flexibility in formation rather than having to put significantly weaker players in to keep a shape.

a 3-5-2 allows us to keep the midfield three, being in Botman alongside Burn and put an extra body upfront.

wouldn’t work when ASM is fit, but when he is out the 4-3-3 becomes limited in attacking options

This is as much a tactical issue as it is a personnel one in my opinion. 

I'm not even slightly concerned about the results we're getting, in fact if anything, I'm actually really pleased we're so hard to beat, but I would say I'd like to see more of a plan b or a slightly different approach to the game to negate the fact we don't really have the players that are best suited to this style of play. 

Edited by Thumbheed