Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

It's shit like that which gives me faith that we'll win way more than we lose. Fill that structure with more potent attackers and you've got a recipe for goals.

Really on board with what Howe's doing. Do think he needs a bit of a plan B though. 

7 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It's shit like that which gives me faith that we'll win way more than we lose. Fill that structure with more potent attackers and you've got a recipe for goals.

Really on board with what Howe's doing. Do think he needs a bit of a plan B though. 

Agree for the most part, but it's difficult to find a plan B when you turn to the bench and have Murphy and Wood longingly looking back at you.

12 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I think we’re currently playing with plan B with the likes of Miggy, Fraser and Willock. Wood and Murphy are last resort options as it stands. 

Give it two or three windows and the likes of Wilson and ASM will be plan B and the players above will be either plan C or no longer here.

51 minutes ago, NWMag said:

hard to believe it’s less than 12 months since Bruceball

Yep - this time last year (it really was only that long ago) we started the season unfit.  It took Howe a couple of months to get the players to PL fitness levels.  Now look at them.

The goals will come (especially as better and better players are added - less injury prone ones would also be useful for this play style).

Howe is absolutely the right man at the right club for me (Jeff).

28 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

I think we’re currently playing with plan B with the likes of Miggy, Fraser and Willock. Wood and Murphy are last resort options as it stands. 

Give it two or three windows and the likes of Wilson and ASM will be plan B and the players above will be either plan C or no longer here.

Think it's a mistake to think of Plan A, Plan B etc purely in terms of personnel. We're going to need to transition into being a team that can effectively break through a low block/deep defence much more effectively than we showed on Saturday. It's going to involve player upgrades but will also need tactical flexibility and evolution. 

Shelvey, Targett, Bruno (and new flair up), Maxi, Isak, Anderson—feel like I may be missing some—all picking up injuries. Mostly muscle-related. Is there a problem with the whole ‘intensity is our identity’ approach? Any manager would want the fitness possible team, but is he pushing too hard? 

We really would benefit from a midfielder who can play keep ball and slow things down, it feels like we go for broke all game which is brilliant but part of that is we are bad at patience and holding on the the ball to take the sting out of games. 

On 21/09/2022 at 22:38, Barnes23 said:

Think it's a mistake to think of Plan A, Plan B etc purely in terms of personnel. We're going to need to transition into being a team that can effectively break through a low block/deep defence much more effectively than we showed on Saturday. It's going to involve player upgrades but will also need tactical flexibility and evolution. 

Bang on the money

2 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Shelvey, Targett, Bruno (and new flair up), Maxi, Isak, Anderson—feel like I may be missing some—all picking up injuries. Mostly muscle-related. Is there a problem with the whole ‘intensity is our identity’ approach? Any manager would want the fitness possible team, but is he pushing too hard? 

i'm sure Eddie and his team will be looking at this just as we are.

Training with that much intensity automatically equalling to injuries seems to be too simplistic in terms of the muscle issues. No doctor, but I’ve never heard that excuse given. Think I’d be more curious about recovery, diet  and the fixture list being as bad as it is. But that could then just go back to over playing. 

Yup and I don't feel like ours this year are really out of the ordinary. Or in previous years really, I think we just feel it more because we never have any depth. Under the fat fuck it was always get 11 barely serviceable players and give it a go, so one injury was really a crisis in those times, and we're not even a year on from there so it's no surprise we're still fragile.

We basically have one position now where we could absorb an injury, CB, and that's better than last year when it was fucking zero.

Just Understat's numbers but our expected points per game this season has actually gone up vs. last season starting from Jan 1.

Last season starting Jan 1 was 27.33 points expected off 19 games (1.43 per game), versus 38 actual points. We massively overperformed by sneaking many single goal wins.

This season so far has been 10.34 points expected off 7 games (1.47 per game), versus 8 actual points. Actual points is disappointing, but expected ones is not bad when you consider the difficulty of the fixtures included in this small sample. Expected points is based on chances alone, and does not consider decisions. 1.47 pts per game is a 56 point season.

I think we're doing okay and pretty much as expected, but have been unlucky with decisions and injuries. The Palace decision alone cost us two points, which would have had us at 10pts off seven games, a much better looking start. The injuries have underlined an ongoing lack of squad depth and prevented Howe from using the bench from going for it in games where we are dominating possession. Bruno's injury sounds like it was caused by him playing in a game (Tranmere) in which he ideally would not have featured, and feels like a case of injuries begetting other injuries. Tranmere were kunts though, and I'm pleased Howe did the necessary to win that game. For Krafth, Darlow and Lascelles, if not for the cup itself.