Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

We weren't outplayed by them, so I think he got it right, it's a cup tie and we didn't take our chances. I would have thought there was also an element of showing the management how thin the squad is too.

We knew we needed to strengthen the squad so I'm not sure why there's been a big point of pointing that out. When you look at the squad December 2021 and compare it today, we've strengthened hugely, but we're still going to be 2-3 windows away, even more possibly, from having the ideal squad. We're not going to be able to turnover 15-18 squad players in 2-3 windows to get to a level where we're putting out top quality teams with whatever starting XI we play, it's just not possible.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

We knew we needed to strengthen the squad so I'm not sure why there's been a big point of pointing that out. When you look at the squad December 2021 and compare it today, we've strengthened hugely, but we're still going to be 2-3 windows away from having the ideal squad. We're not going to be able to turnover 15-18 squad players in a 2-3 windows to get to a level where we're putting out top quality teams with whatever starting XI we play, it's just not possible.

I guess the hope is that after this jan and next summer the reliable, quality pool of players goes from 13-14 up to 15-16+. Either way you get my point and that pool will have to increase if we’re in Europe. 

Trying to order it from Bruce's choice order to today when all fit.

Dubravka - Pope

Darlow - Dubravka

Woodman - Darlow

Gillespie - Gillespie (assuming Karius isn't being kept on)

Krafth - Trippier

Manquillo - Krafth

Murphy - Manquillo 

Ritchie - Burn

Dummett - Targett

Lewis - Lewis

Lascelles - Botman

Clark - Schar

Fernandez - Lascelles

Schar - Dummett

Shelvey - Bruno

Willock - Joelinton

S.Longstaff - Willock

Hayden - Longstaff

Hendrick - Shelvey

M.Longstaff - Anderson

St-Maximin - St-Maximin

Joelinton - Murphy

Almiron - Almiron

Fraser - Fraser

Wilson - Isak

Gayle - Wilson

NA - Wood

Hopefully over the next 2-3 windows we see people at the bottom of the right hand columns replaced and we see even better players at the tops of them. It was a massive job we had to overhaul the squad and we're still short, but it was never happening in 3 windows.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

9 hours ago, LV said:

How would you have played it? 

Not have completely underestimated the opposition and what the game meant to them. Not to put out a trio of shit players who - God willing - will never pull on a black and white shirt again. Not to have a plan which meant 'bring on the big guns' when two goals down. Not to have Chris Fucking Wood as a game changer.

That. How would you have played it?

2 minutes ago, bhoywhonder said:

Not have completely underestimated the opposition and what the game meant to them. Not to put out a trio of shit players who - God willing - will never pull on a black and white shirt again. Not to have a plan which meant 'bring on the big guns' when two goals down. Not to have Chris Fucking Wood as a game changer.

I’m guessing Eddie knows the physical condition of the players, what kind of loads they can put under and how many games they can effectively play. 
Teams doing well in the league but with small squads tend to start falling away in January and February. We might yet do that tbh.

However, i trust Eddie’s understanding of the squad fitness over yours so I’m very happy to back his judgement.

FWIW, I think we should have won the game on chances created. Shit happens.

I'd actually be more annoyed if he had went full strength yesterday, even though we're out of the competition today. 

Remember how Tranmere played against us? we had no idea if Sheff Wed would be the same and injuries to anyone like Bruno, Pope, Botman, Schar, Trippier, Isak or Wilson would give us a serious possibility of completely messing up our league position and league Cup run. 

It was either put a weak side out in the FA cup or League cup. 

I got 0 issue with Howe yesterday. My issue are with the lads out there yesterday who didn’t perform and are premier league paid footballers who put up far less of a performance to justify their pay. More than enough chances to level and win the match. That’s football. But hopefully a good reminder to the football people at the club that they need to move players on and upgrade. Even a 5-10m winger or fullback or striker who’s actually got some self confidence of desire to step up and not bottle it is better than persisting with players who have shown far too often they don’t have it. 

Edited by Kanji

55 minutes ago, bhoywhonder said:

Soooo...you cant get match fit without playing a match. But you cant start a match without being match-fit? What kind of Catch 22 bullshit is that?

Who says you can’t start a match without being match fit?

All footballers are or should be at this level fit and should be match ready even if they are not playing, but despite him being a cunt, Michael Owen said all the training and gym work cannot and never will make up for playing because the training is organised, it’s structured and it has certain elements where as playing in actual match isn’t, it’s ebb and flow and all about instinct. That’s why he used to visualise what he’d do in certain situations or during games so it become like automatic to him and about memory. It’s an old saying, you can’t beat playing, some players need rotating, some can just come in and look fit, ready, sharp and do a job, when you’re just starting out though or are young or off the back of an injury you need games, in fact they all do at any level. 

2 hours ago, bhoywhonder said:

Soooo...you cant get match fit without playing a match. But you cant start a match without being match-fit? What kind of Catch 22 bullshit is that?

It's a phrase meaning not having the sharpness and muscle memory that regular competition brings - as opposed to physical fitness, which is separate.

13 hours ago, bhoywhonder said:

Chris wood is regularly being used as a sub in premier League games, man. Tragett and Maxi would have played if fit but other than that those are the type of players we have to call on for the first team if we get injuries or suspensions. It's not like he fielded a team of kids and tried to throw the game. We just have a really poor squad outside of the starting 11. 

Aye I'd say biggest since Sporting Lisbon away like. I know we had a Semi Final v Man Utd but I didn't think we had much chance there.

Win today, 1 in 3 chance we avoid one of the Manchester teams, hope Man Utd beat Man City in the other Semi and we knock out the winner of Southampton and Wolves. Think that's the best route to success.