Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

9 hours ago, Superior Acuña said:

:lol: :lol:

ffs man

was about to say needs Captain Tom then saw Diana in the thread 

And anyone know the origin of 'you'll do for me bonny lad'?

think it was someone on here over Ben Arfa

One of the things I’ve always found a bit weird about it is that while I genuinely believe Keegan saved and rebuilt the club and in some style, Robson did a good job at what was at the time one of the richest clubs on earth.  Don’t get me wrong, going to matches home and away from 2001-04 was fun - I was there - but if you’d asked me in 2004 after he left if in twenty years time NUFC supporters would be making gaudy shite venerating him like he’s the saint of the club I’d have laughed like a drain.  It’s beyond odd - it’s like everyone else has formed a different collective memory.  There’s a statue outside the ground of him - but Milburn’s was moved; nothing for Gallacher, Harvey, MacDonald etc etc.  It’s being a stranger in your own memories.

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

One of the things I’ve always found a bit weird about it is that while I genuinely believe Keegan saved and rebuilt the club and in some style, Robson did a good job at what was at the time one of the richest clubs on earth.  Don’t get me wrong, going to matches home and away from 2001-04 was fun - I was there - but if you’d asked me in 2004 after he left if in twenty years time NUFC supporters would be making gaudy shite venerating him like he’s the saint of the club I’d have laughed like a drain.  It’s beyond odd - it’s like everyone else has formed a different collective memory.  There’s a statue outside the ground of him - but Milburn’s was moved; nothing for Gallacher, Harvey, MacDonald etc etc.  It’s being a stranger in your own memories.

Bobby is remembered for much more than his time at Newcastle (as good as that was), he's a local guy highly respected in the world of football for his numerous achievements and legacy. But it's like fans have forgotten that and see him as a mythical NUFC figure. I love Bobby and think he should be remembered and celebrated as a whole- but also think you're right, it's become a bit distorted. 

edit: ^^^ what he said

9 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Always felt the SBR love was more for being able to claim someone with his incredible standing, CV and reputation within the game as one of ours, and not necessarily the good job he did here?

KK absolutely the more messianic figure but I've always had a different kind of appreciation and feeling for SBR.

Edited by thomas

3 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Bobby is remembered for much more than his time at Newcastle (as good as that was), he's a local guy highly respected in the world of football for his numerous achievements and legacy. But it's like fans have forgotten that and see him as a mythical NUFC figure. I love Bobby and think he should be remembered and celebrated as a whole- but also think you're right, it's become a bit distorted. 

Yeah, I agree that’s got a lot to do with it.  He definitely held a place in the national affection.

Don’t get me wrong, I certainly didn’t mean it as a criticism of Robson nor his time at SJP - but his lofty status at NUFC as a NUFC figure is, for me, overstated. 

I have to agree like. He's more of a social figure that's attached to the area and the personification of who we like to think of ourselves and the club as. It's nice that he has a statue, but it's also mad that at the same time Joe Harvey gets a plaque and Kevin Keegan has nothing. 

11 hours ago, Superior Acuña said:

:lol: :lol:

ffs man

was about to say needs Captain Tom then saw Diana in the thread 

And anyone know the origin of 'you'll do for me bonny lad'?

Fuck me I thought it was Anthony Gordon on a night out with Calvert-Lewin

SBR was one of the last true gentlemen left in what was becoming an increasingly toxic sport. He carried himself with unbreakable dignity and earned the respect of everyone as a result. Marry that with an amazing managerial record at some of the biggest clubs in world football. He was a one-off. Eddie is very similar in the way he carries himself but he doesn't have the personality of SBR and can't quite match his record...yet.

Under Keegan, I think it was more the football we played that people warmed to rather than Keegan himself. We loved him but other fans didn't have that affection or respect for him. 

I loved owt like that when I was a kid like. I had the NUFC cushions and mini strip in my dad's car, the St George's flag up at my window during Euro '96, the lot. Some adults don't seem to have gone through the 'everything is cringe' phase of being a teenager though. :lol:

2 hours ago, Holmesy said:

SBR was one of the last true gentlemen left in what was becoming an increasingly toxic sport. He carried himself with unbreakable dignity and earned the respect of everyone as a result. Marry that with an amazing managerial record at some of the biggest clubs in world football. He was a one-off. Eddie is very similar in the way he carries himself but he doesn't have the personality of SBR and can't quite match his record...yet.

Under Keegan, I think it was more the football we played that people warmed to rather than Keegan himself. We loved him but other fans didn't have that affection or respect for him. 

Hmm, you sure about that?  English football’s biggest superstar of the ‘70s wasn’t loved or popular nationally?

Keegan definitely needs to get honoured in some way. Long long long overdue. 

People are immortalised for a lot less than he’s achieved here. Gave his heart and soul to the club and it was built in his image more than any one.

No disputes about Keegan, but Robson consolidated the club in footballing memory as the sleeping giant. Half the foreign supporters in this forum started following us during his reign or while his team hadn't yet been dismantled. I think it's easy to forget how dark things were after Dalglish and Gullit.

Robson re-stirred the pot and made NUFC mean something to a full generation of people Eddie Howe's age rather than being a 3 year flash in the pan that happened while John Major was Prime Minister and amounted to as much as O'Leary and Ridsdale's Leeds.

Without him, the best case scenario could have been having all the attraction and global respect of Everton. Which isn't very much even though they were multiple title winners not all that long before Keegan came here. And mirroring Sunderland's path was just as possible. Amanda and Mehrdad didn't fancy those investments, strangely.

6 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I have to agree like. He's more of a social figure that's attached to the area and the personification of who we like to think of ourselves and the club as. It's nice that he has a statue, but it's also mad that at the same time Joe Harvey gets a plaque and Kevin Keegan has nothing. 

100% agree. I’d also honour David Kelly in some way. If he didn’t score that goal v Portsmouth then it’s not worth thinking about where we’d be. 

How Joe Harvey has nothing as the last manager to win anything is also a head scratcher. 

5 hours ago, 80 said:

No disputes about Keegan, but Robson consolidated the club in footballing memory as the sleeping giant. Half the foreign supporters in this forum started following us during his reign or while his team hadn't yet been dismantled. I think it's easy to forget how dark things were after Dalglish and Gullit.

Robson re-stirred the pot and made NUFC mean something to a full generation of people Eddie Howe's age rather than being a 3 year flash in the pan that happened while John Major was Prime Minister and amounted to as much as O'Leary and Ridsdale's Leeds.

Without him, the best case scenario could have been having all the attraction and global respect of Everton. Which isn't very much even though they were multiple title winners not all that long before Keegan came here. And mirroring Sunderland's path was just as possible. Amanda and Mehrdad didn't fancy those investments, strangely.

I’m just about Eddie Howe’s age.  Robson took over two years after Keegan left - it’s hardly a massive gap between the two.  Dalglish and Gullit did poor jobs, but the club had huge spending power and plenty of talented players to build upon.  The notion of KK being a ‘three year flash in the pan’ is ludicrous - it was five years, for a start - and Robson’s best period literally covered three years. 

And I’d argue that NUFC roughly has the global levels of respect of Everton or Leeds.

The ground was rebuilt before Robson arrived.  This is the club Keegan built.  Robson did a good job for about three years.  

8 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Hmm, you sure about that?  English football’s biggest superstar of the ‘70s wasn’t loved or popular nationally?

As soon as you start managing a football club, it’s polarises you to an extent. He was loved as a player but once he turned us into a team challenging the status quo, he became a target for rival fans and the media. Towards the end, the masses were practically willing him to fail. SBR transcended that 

45 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’m just about Eddie Howe’s age.  Robson took over two years after Keegan left - it’s hardly a massive gap between the two.  Dalglish and Gullit did poor jobs, but the club had huge spending power and plenty of talented players to build upon.  The notion of KK being a ‘three year flash in the pan’ is ludicrous - it was five years, for a start - and Robson’s best period literally covered three years. 

And I’d argue that NUFC roughly has the global levels of respect of Everton or Leeds.

The ground was rebuilt before Robson arrived.  This is the club Keegan built.  Robson did a good job for about three years.  

Re: flash in the pan, I'm talking from an outsider's perspective. Yes, it was only two years between Keegan and Robson, and yet we'd absolutely clattered down in that time, the board wasn't feeling wealthy post-floatation, and history was already starting to be rewritten about our 'natural place' etc. If Robson hadn't come, we could well have ended up with a different anti-Gullit who 'knew the area' like Brian Little. And we certainly wouldn't have remained one of the richest clubs in the world for long.

They both had not massively long reigns, but combined (along with the hiccup) it made for 12 years of being a real domestic and European force that couldn't be denied despite the lack of trophies. I'm arguing each legacy has been strengthened by the other.

Maybe I'm biased, but I strongly disagree about Everton and Leeds. Not about the size or potential of the clubs, but how evocative they are to outsiders. Everton especially suffers in the same way we'd be held back if we were Benwell FC. Ashley has hurt us massively, but it would be that much worse if the last time we did anything of note pre-him was 1996 rather than 2005, during which time there was such commercial growth in the game.

Again, as I say, no dispute about Keegan's importance. It's just that it's so obvious to me it hardly needs me to add to the chorus. Without him, Robson probably wouldn't have come in 99 and wouldn't have been able to do what he did even if he had. But I find the rewriting of Robson as being a good hand for 3 years who happened to be local weird - particularly considering the abjectness of the board he was working for at the time.