Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

It feels weird as an NUFC fan to sit here seeing people turn their nose up at people like Martinez or Gerrard.

A week ago I’d have licked a cats poo in the garden for either of them.

It’s going to take me a while to recognise we’re not shopping from the bins anymore. 

My ultimate wish would be Conte, but to be frank I’d be happy with anyone and give them all a clean slate to work with.

It's very petty but if he's turned down an approach from us based on our current stature then I don't want Conte, ever. That said, I don't think he'd be a good fit for us anyway, I think we need someone who can get involved with the fans more, like Rafa, Keegan and Robson did. Rafa would still be my preferred choice but I can't see him going back on a contract. I think Poch would get in with the fans, after seeing what he was like at Spurs, I'm not sure whether Gerrard's ready yet after only having managed a pub team and I really don't know enough about Favre or Fonseca (not tuning my nose up at either of them, just don't know enough about them).

Edited by Armchair Pundit

Having said that I like Martinez as a bloke and the football matches he creates, just its in the same way I like to watch fireworks - from afar, without any investment, effort or risk on my part.

Edited by Wolfcastle

12 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

It feels weird as an NUFC fan to sit here seeing people turn their nose up at people like Martinez or Gerrard.

A week ago I’d have licked a cats poo in the garden for either of them.

It’s going to take me a while to recognise we’re not shopping from the bins anymore. 

My ultimate wish would be Conte, but to be frank I’d be happy with anyone and give them all a clean slate to work with.

I would have taken them over Bruce, but that’s it. Gerrard really hasn’t done anything to show he’s going to be a top manager yet. I see him the same as I would a manager that has won the Greek or Austrian league. Neil Lennon has 5 SPL’s.

1 minute ago, Kimbo said:

I would have taken them over Bruce, but that’s it. Gerrard really hasn’t done anything to show he’s going to be a top manager yet. I see him the same as I would a manager that has won the Greek or Austrian league. Neil Lennon has 5 SPL’s.

Are we looking for a top manager though? Or are we looking for someone to take us up a few levels?

The consortium have talked about gradual improvement and how many top managers are going to want to work with a squad of Joelintons?

7 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Having said that I like Martinez as a bloke and the football matches he creates, just its in the same way I like to watch fireworks - from afar, without any investment, effort or risk on my part.

this is a very fair way to look at it.

he's also technical director at Belgium and has helped design the training ground, scouting network etc. He'd have an awful lot to offer us at this stage of our journey.

Conte would be the kind of statement of intent appointment I would hope they are looking to make. 

If we have to go for someone domestic/less favoured, we could do a lot worse than to look at Potter or Brendan Rodgers. Would favour those two a hell of a lot more than Howe, Gerrard, Lampard, Southgate etc. 

23 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Are we looking for a top manager though? Or are we looking for someone to take us up a few levels?

The consortium have talked about gradual improvement and how many top managers are going to want to work with a squad of Joelintons?

We may not be able to get a top manager, but that doesn’t mean Gerrard is in the next group. Winning the championship for example is far more impressive to me than winning the SPL with an old firm side.

1 minute ago, OCK said:

Why is Lampard being touted? He did OK at Derby with his million loanees and then underwhelmed at Chelsea (by their standards). 

I honestly think it's just a default to mention Lampard if Gerrard comes up these days. :lol:

2 minutes ago, OCK said:

Why is Lampard being touted? He did OK at Derby with his million loanees and then underwhelmed at Chelsea (by their standards). 

This. Also spent a boatload and failed to get a cohesive team. Tuchel turned up and turned it around immediately with the same players. 

2 minutes ago, wormy said:

I honestly think it's just a default to mention Lampard if Gerrard comes up these days. :lol:

Lampard the new Curbishley? [emoji38] 

"Oh shit we've used John Gregory, better balance out the fates with a Curbishley to keep the Great Old One happy" 

7 minutes ago, OCK said:

He’ll be lucky to get any premier league job next IMO.