Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

We must take our time to appoint the best sporting and financial directors to implement and oversee the whole football transformation - including the appointment of a manager with mid/long-term focus. Everything else will just make it harder for us to kickstart the process.
The appointments, the procedures and the overpriced sponsorship deals would surely take several months, so in the mean time the priority is not to get relegated this season.

If that's indeed our primary aim - an interim manager who can guarantee safety - then indeed why not go for the huge PR win - Keegan? Even if he's out of touch with the game, there's no way he'll get us relegated. In fact, we all know that if his character is in it, he'll galvanise and transform our players and the whole club in six games even if he doesn't recognise the opposition's players.

Edited by junkhead

We need someone who can organize us from back to front.  Rafa could, Jose could and if Emery could, I say go for him.  I quite like Favre too.  He could be that "bridge" manager to get the club moving in the right direction.

Gerard's comments pique my interest.  Is he good enough though?  He'd have the right attitude, IMO.

I'm glad Zidane is out.  He would not have been the right fit as VI alluded to.

I'd like a manager who REALLY wants to be here.  REALLY wants to take on the challenge to build something.  Rafa would have been perfect but that ship has sailed.

We talk about about hiring "a manager" but we have to hire a whole coaching staff with him as well.  How easy is that?

12 minutes ago, Consortium of one said:

We need someone who can organize us from back to front.  Rafa could, Jose could and if Emery could, I say go for him.  I quite like Favre too.  He could be that "bridge" manager to get the club moving in the right direction.

Gerard's comments pique my interest.  Is he good enough though?  He'd have the right attitude, IMO.

I'm glad Zidane is out.  He would not have been the right fit as VI alluded to.

I'd like a manager who REALLY wants to be here.  REALLY wants to take on the challenge to build something.  Rafa would have been perfect but that ship has sailed.

We talk about about hiring "a manager" but we have to hire a whole coaching staff with him as well.  How easy is that?

We need so much more than just a manager at every level it’s crazy how neglected the entire club has been under Ashley. 

37 minutes ago, junkhead said:

We must take our time to appoint the best sporting and financial directors to implement and oversee the whole football transformation - including the appointment of a manager with mid/long-term focus. Everything else will just make it harder for us to kickstart the process.
The appointments, the procedures and the overpriced sponsorship deals would surely take several months, so in the mean time the priority is not to get relegated this season.

If that's indeed our primary aim - an interim manager who can guarantee safety - then indeed why not go for the huge PR win - Keegan? Even if he's out of touch with the game, there's no way he'll get us relegated. In fact, we all know that if his character is in it, he'll galvanise and transform our players and the whole club in six games even if he doesn't recognise the opposition's players.

Keegan wouldn't even pick up the phone if it was about being interim manager. He'd think he was the one to bring the trophies to Newcastle and this would be unfinished business. 

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Keegan wouldn't even pick up the phone if it was about being interim manager. He'd think he was the one to bring the trophies to Newcastle and this would be unfinished business. 

Dear God the thought of KK being the man to get us that first trophy would make me slightly tempted to give it a shot despite knowing it'd end in tears.

As for Gerrard not ruling himself out, I was watching Potter giving an interview yesterday and he didn't rule himself out either. I don't think either is the right man for this job, but I'd prefer Potter over Gerrard, he seems like a very perceptive man. 

5 minutes ago, TRon said:

As for Gerrard not ruling himself out, I was watching Potter giving an interview yesterday and he didn't rule himself out either. I don't think either is the right man for this job, but I'd prefer Potter over Gerrard, he seems like a very perceptive man. 

As a Dof and head coach set up Potter would be my preference out of the two. Would work well with Jones too obviously.

Favre seems like the most experienced realistic choice for turning us around. 

The notaligic part of me would love Mourinho or an interim Wenger. The former for the bobby links even if he feels a bit tainted, rose tinted specs make me hope he would just click with us. 

Keegan :lol: The man is the biggest living legend ever associated with this club but he's been out the game for 13 years. He barely, if ever, even does punditry. Yeah it'd be a different world to Bruce but he shouldn't be near the football operations side of the club now.

4 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Keegan :lol: The man is the biggest living legend ever associated with this club but he's been out the game for 13 years. He barely, if ever, even does punditry. Yeah it'd be a different world to Bruce but he shouldn't be near the football operations side of the club now.

The biggest problem with Keegan is he wouldn't want to do an interim job. If he was coming in to do the rest of the season, no one could do it better. He'd have the players bouncing out to the centre circle thinking they were Juventus, and the crowd noise would blow the roof off. 

But he'd think it's his destiny to finish the job he started. He's great when it's going well, but gets disillusioned when things don't pan out. 

22 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

With us and Keegan it doesn't really matter if he has seen a game in ten years. The crowd will be behind him and the team 100% and that alone guarantees we'll survive this year. Not the man who should be tasked with implementing the long-term vision of course, but for an interim we can do a lot worse. He's now a serious age but he might accept this one last short gig if we persuade him. Make it happen Amanda!

In the mean time we can appoint directors in January and give them time to implement a new world class structure and appoint Nagelsmann or whoever in the summer.

Edited by junkhead

3 minutes ago, junkhead said:

With us and Keegan it doesn't really matter if he has seen a game in ten years. The crowd will be behind him and the team 100% and that alone guarantees we'll survive this year. Not the man who should be tasked with implementing the long-term vision of course, but for an interim we can do a lot worse. He's now a serious age but he might accept this one last short gig if we persuade him. Make it happen Amanda!

In the mean time we can appoint directors in January and give them time to implement a new world class structure and appoint Nagelsmann or whoever in the summer.

It would matter, like. :lol: Football is on a different planet to the mid 1990s, even to 2008. When he returned in '08 he managed 19 league games, and won 5 of them. 

If we can get a quality manager in now, it should happen now.

2 hours ago, Village Idiot said:

According to RMC Zidane turned you down.

https://chicagotoday.news/sports/zidane-refuses-to-coach-newcastle/

I don't think it would've worked, anyway. He was great at navigating the dressing room and club politics at Real Madrid (not an easy feat), but that's not your situation.

Good to see Chicago Today keeping the people of Northeastern Illinois abreast of Newcastle United's coaching search via RMC.

5 minutes ago, Chicane said:

Managers like him, Conte etc. are gonna want a team that is ready to compete right now. We're years away from competing for anything.

Conte was reportedly keen according to the Ronny. Never know if you never ask him. We'd be up amongst the best of the rest by next season if Conte is appointed now imo.