Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

2 minutes ago, Collage said:

Taking AFC Bournemouth from League 2 to the PL is a great accomplishment no matter how you spin it.

Agreed, but the pressure of that role compared to taking on us in our current state is a million miles apart. 

I'm not fully against Howe but he doesn't inspire me with confidence.

I think ideally we should really be going for someone more proven at a range of clubs with expectations rather than someone who did well with one small club. This job will be a very different animal to a Bournemouth.

However hearing names like Lampard and Gerrard thrown in the mix scare me a lot more than Howe.

If we could get Howe to come in as interim manager till the end of the season with a nice bonus if he keeps us up then that would be a decent solution. 

Then the consortium can bring on a DOF and plan for the future in the meantime. So everything is in place for the start of next season. 

Don't think Howe would want it long term anyway if his wife refuses to move so I think its the best of both worlds 

Just now, Jordan said:

Howe won’t come here. He gets a nosebleed leaving Bournemouth. It’s why he left Burnley and turned down Celtic. 

This is my only real worry; he could be off like a shot if he decides he can't do up north. Aside from that, I would've taken him before the takeover and I'd still take him now.

Can understand fears that he may not do much to rectify the defence but he'll sure as hell get the team playing more fluidly and that alone would alleviate pressure on the defence.

Just now, wormy said:

This is my only real worry; he could be off like a shot if he decides he can't do up north. Aside from that, I would've taken him before the takeover and I'd still take him now.

Can understand fears that he may not do much to rectify the defence but he'll sure as hell get the team playing more fluidly and that alone would alleviate pressure on the defence.

My worry would be with Howe is the amount of poor signings they made and they were weak defensively. We need a defense minded manager to come in and undo Bruce’s work. 

Just now, St. Maximin said:

I do like Howe but I just can’t look past how bad they are in his last season, especially given how we destroyed them at their place… under Steve Bruce. 

We probably deserved to be relegated that season. A combination of lingering Rafa organization in defence, Dubravka heroics, and major goal output from defenders kept us up. Shelvey top scored for us on six. Wilson made the team much better last year, but we still needed that miracle from Willock.

I dunno about Howe. We really need to stop conceding goals. The new owners got to see it themselves, with three in one half against a team who'd scored six in seven. Maxi is just about the best player outside the top 8 or so teams, and Callum Wilson will be in the top fifteen. I'm sure we'll buy cover, but there are enough goals in the team for a simply competent manager to keep us up. What we need instead is a working defence and midfield and a better goalkeeper on the pitch. I don't think any team is going to collect many points with Darlow in goal, the fullbacks we've been playing, and tactics that give the opposition 65%+ possession. In fairness to him, Howe's teams at least try to keep the ball, and that alone is a huge improvement over the thick plastic Geordie we have now.

Just now, Jordan said:

My worry would be with Howe is the amount of poor signings they made and they were weak defensively. We need a defense minded manager to come in and undo Bruce’s work. 

DoF should hopefully have a strong hand in signings to cancel that out tbf. Of course, as long as we make the right appointment!

13 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Played 87, won 34, drew 19, lost 34, win percentage 39%. His first game in charge of Burnley was away to Scunthorpe on 22 January 2011, which ended in a 0–0 draw. Burnley finished 8th in the Championship in season 2010–11 and 13th in season 2011–12 under Howe.

not sure what point this makes to be honest?

i do know dyche took over from howe and got them promoted in his first full season in charge though.

Edited by lovejoy

2 minutes ago, lovejoy said:

not sure what point this makes to be honest?

i do know dyche took over from howe and got them promoted in his first full season in charge though.

The point is that some people say he did shit there and some say he did well. The results and points seem to suggest he did inbetween.

Gaawd, Howe would be a weak appointment. I'm in favour of a stop-gap manager until we sort the structure and everything but he's shown he can't adapt to a defensive game plan and we don't have much quality in attack to be expansive. I'm not sure his motivational skills alone would be enough to carry us to safety but after a fraud like Bruce it could be enough.

Bournemouth's collapse the other year was horrific though. Him and Tindall looking lost on the touchline week after week after so many successful seasons.. Not sure of the calibre of the staff he'd bring too. Somebody like Gerrard, Lampard, Cannavaro even, for all their inexperience, will likely arrive with a quality coaching entourage.. 

It's a hard decision for the new owners for sure but Emery seems attainable and more suitable for the task. 

Luis Campos is out of a job too. We should be all over this dude for DOF.

Edited by junkhead

I wonder if all the noise and ill feeling around us is actually a turn off to some of the managers we'd like to attract. Someone young and progressive and dignified like Howe might be as good as we can hope for at this point (without going down the Bruce/Pardew/grateful patsy route), to win back a bit of PR before taking the big leaps they obviously have in mind. 

He wouldn't have been my first choice but naturally he's about 400 steps up from the blemange in the dugout, so I'd be happy to see him as Newcastle boss. 

Howe would be a good appointment.

Not a great one, not particularly exciting or inspiring but look at where we are:

Lower PL club, poor facilities, poor squad, every single aspect of the club needs an overhaul.

We arnt gonna be playing CL football for minimun of 2 or 3 years so while we are in transition begind the scenes, Howe would be a good appointment.

One thing which concerns me about Howe is his flexibility with formations. I like the general way he sets teams up, but how switched on is he for making changes according to the opposition? Someone like Rafa or Mourinho will spot gaps straight away and adjust the formation to suit. Don't really know that much about Howe other than he likes to play attacking football. So did Keegan, but he sometimes got stumped by more savvy managers who changed things round formation wise. 

24 minutes ago, LV said:

There does seem to be a dearth of decent managers about right now.

If only Rafa could have waited a few more months :anguish:

I'm actually surprised at the number of relatively high profile managers that are available. The problem is that they are mostly from the continent and so the prem experience thing is a bit of an issue, only because of the position we are in. If we were comfortably in mid table we could have easily gone for one of the people available without as much hesitancy I imagine.

Seems their plan is to keep Bruce on just long enough to accept nothing managers as his replacement. Looks like it’s worked. I’d have been happy enough under Ashley with this appointment which would be about the best he could do but not to bring in a new era. 

2 hours ago, neesy111 said:

So naive.

It's the job he did with Bournemouth in general, they are a tiny club and he got them punching well above where they should be.

Incredible really. He took them from on their arses in League 2 and kept them in the Premier League for 5 years playing a good brand of football. He spent money but no more than other clubs in the league. Amazing what he achieved.

5 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Howe would be a good appointment.

Not a great one, not particularly exciting or inspiring but look at where we are:

Lower PL club, poor facilities, poor squad, every single aspect of the club needs an overhaul.

We arnt gonna be playing CL football for minimun of 2 or 3 years so while we are in transition begind the scenes, Howe would be a good appointment.

Not with his defensive record he wouldn't, which is exactly what is required now. 

Howe taking Bournemouth from League 2 to the PL is incredible but Lambert took Norwich from League 1 to the PL and look how he ended up at Villa. 

I think Howe is an OK manager, seems to be up to date with his management style compared to the likes of Bruce, dodgy Sam etc but we really should be going for someone better. Doesn't matter if they're in a job or not there's a boatload of experienced proven managers across Europe who we should be throwing money at to come here. This is a crucial point and we need to make sure this appointment is done correctly. (also why it's taking some time) I just don't think Howe adds up, needs to prove himself at another 1 or 2 clubs imo. 

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Incredible really. He took them from on their arses in League 2 and kept them in the Premier League for 5 years playing a good brand of football. He spent money but no more than other clubs in the league. Amazing what he achieved.

He also managed them while they slowly fell apart.