Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

I mean, some of the consortiums previous offers included the condition of Rafa being kept on. It's possible Rafa had something to do with selling the place to Staveley. He deserves this and he'd be 4 years ahead of any other manager in terms of a plan and knowing the club and area and fanbase. I can see them trying to move heaven and earth to get him. Whether it happens or not is another matter.

50% of Everton fans didn't want him. 80% of everton fans want him gone. 100% of Everton fans will want him gone when he loses the derby and Liverpool fans sing his name. 

Everton might as well take a small transfer fee now and put it towards another manager or pay a modest transfer fee sacking him before the season is out. Next time listen to your fans, Everton.

I’d rather remember him doing a fantastic job for us in the Ashley era than he come back and something inevitably go wrong and the fans turn against him for his playing style or transfers etc. I don’t want the memory tainted by what’s to come- managers always get sacked- he left last time with professionalism and pride intact, and with our support. The next time probably won’t be like that. 

Right now, my reasoning for wanting Rafa is not more for the on-pitch prospect but would be more for the off-field transformation of the club. He had a vision for how the club can be moving forward. We know what he will bring to the team but its his vision for the club which I am excited for.

And yes, I do fear. 2nd comings often does not turn out well.

Edited by nufcjb

The only reason to get Rafa is for the buildup process, mostly behind the scenes and the obv. park the bus and counter to avoid relegation threat.

No one remember these Pool teams and some of the awkward buys he made?

It's way riskier, but it might pay way more dividends to get some entertaining ball back to SJP.

think Im going to tune out for a week or two until the manager is confirmed.  Cant be arsed with the press and chucking in a name every few hours.  At this rate, 90% of managers in Europe will have been linked to NUFC!

As much as I like the idea of Favre and Fonseca’s attacking football, if there was any chance of getting Rafa back i’d sack them two off in a heartbeat. Knows the club, fans, area and owners. It’s the right move for everyone. 

So here's the thing, even if Rafa is happy to stay at Everton because he just would never break a contract, what happens if we just deal directly with Everton and their owner and just came to an agreement and agreed compensation for them to release him, and they say he is free to leave. That's feasible right?

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

So here's the thing, even if Rafa is happy to stay at Everton because he just would never break a contract, what happens if we just deal directly with Everton and their owner and just came to an agreement and agreed compensation for them to release him, and they say he is free to leave. That's feasible right?

Yes. But that only saves face for Rafa. Everton still look stupid appointing him to begin with. I'm sure they'd rather him force their hand. It might be about how all parties come out looking OK about this. Same as the PL with the takeover. 

3 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Rafa is by far my number 1 choice to manage us, but the reason I'm conflicted is if there's any chance it fails (which it might) I really don't want Rafa lumped under the banner of failed managers at NUFC. 

I don't think he is my number 1 choice, for the reason you mention alone.  Plus whilst I think he'd keep us up and be more than capable of building something going forward.  The press will be on him from the get go and I think there are still plenty of fans who genuinely think the football and 'results' were not much better than what Bruce served up.  Ignoring anything else other than points and the finish in the league, they half have a point.  So I just think him returning wouldn't necessarily work, as well as it did the first time.  

All that said, if he got announced tomorrow.  Then I'd have no worries about getting relegated.  Whilst some of the other names linked have a sexier profile, I don't think I'd be so sure about staying up. 

Only problem for me is Rafa is like a Dof, SD and manager wrapped in one. Would he really want to share the vision of the club with others? His fact rant would suggest otherwise and tbh I think this is the future for us and a massive project to catapult.us up