Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

24 minutes ago, TorchyTBB said:

Benitez is bottom of my list, it would really take the gloss off the takeover if he came back.  Wasn't keen on him when he was here and to turn his back on the fans that did love him and pleaded with him to stay for China/money, enough said.

All I can say is I'm pleased you're not in any way making decisions for the club

30 minutes ago, TorchyTBB said:

Benitez is bottom of my list, it would really take the gloss off the takeover if he came back.  Wasn't keen on him when he was here and to turn his back on the fans that did love him and pleaded with him to stay for China/money, enough said.

The first half, ok - can't please everyone and all that. Fair enough. But the second half is pure tabloid crap.

Rafa would be ideal in a way.

But at the same time I don't want to ruin what he gave us the last time.

Also, I would think that some of the less brainy sections of our fans would get on his back in no time if things are perceived to move to slow and/or lack of attacking football.

I'm also hesitant to how he'd work in a set-up with a Sporting Director/DOF.

For me, I'd want something fresh. Preferably an up-and-coming continental manager who has a progressive and attacking ethos.

Someone who can both coach the players we do have but also give the fans something to rally around. And I want that coach to work with a Sporting Director/DOF.

IMO this would give us the best chance of sustainable and longterm progression where a coach can be replaced within an existing and functional framework.

I like what I've seen from Fonseca, Ten Hag, Terzic and maybe even Jaissle. Any of those working alongside Campos, Overmars or Rangnick would be awesome.

Rafa wouldn’t fail here at all, and for all the stuff about Bruce’s abuse from the fans, it’s laughable because we have probably been the most patient set of fans around given we’ve been relegated twice and had some absolute dross manage us. Rafa would get the patience from the owners and the fans to rebuild in his own image, he’d transform every aspect of the club and not just the players and the team as he did here when he was the manager. 

Ideally my preferred option, however and who is also realistic is Emery, he ticks every box really. Rafa coming back though would be dreamy.

Edited by HTT II

49 minutes ago, TorchyTBB said:

Barry Fry is bottom of my list. 

"to turn his back on the fans that did love him and pleaded with him to stay for China/money, enough said." at the end of his contract?

You lose if you're Bruce and stay despite conflict above, you lose if you're Rafa escaping it... some fans really are delusional 

He had no choice but to leave, Ashley was basically saying you can stay, but it’s gonna be the same shit from me, Charnley and Barnes. Rafa has too much self respect for that and did all he could and then some to try and make us a more competitive, better functioning, more professional club off the field more than he actually succeeding in doing so on the pitch. 

Edited by HTT II

1 minute ago, CFlan said:

I’d imagine he’d want to be the highest paid manager to come to us at this time. 

No chance. Why would he expect to be remunerated better than multi award and trophy winning Klopp and Guardiola? A high wage, yes. Over 15-20m? No way. 11m is hardly a pittance.

1 minute ago, Manxst said:

No chance. Why would he expect to be remunerated better than multi award and trophy winning Klopp and Guardiola? A high wage, yes. Over 15-20m? No way. 11m is hardly a pittance.

Because he’d be leaving a CL team to come to a team battling relegation.  

1 minute ago, CFlan said:

Because he’d be leaving a CL team to come to a team battling relegation.  

So? A wage increase, sure. Highest in the league? Not a chance. He’s on pennies in Holland compared to what we’re allegedly offering. 

Just now, CFlan said:

He’s being touted as a candidate for the Man U and Barca jobs. The only thing we can offer is money. It’ll be like that with players too, we’ll have to overpay for everyone.

Absolutely agree. But not to the extent that we pay more than Klopp and Guardiola are getting! 11m is a canny wage for a Dutch manager who is up and coming and not yet the finished article. We’ve ‘only’ offered Fonseca 6m allegedly, and Ten Hag 11m- were already paying a premium for him

to come if those figures are correct. 

2 minutes ago, CFlan said:

He’s being touted as a candidate for the Man U and Barca jobs. The only thing we can offer is money. It’ll be like that with players too, we’ll have to overpay for everyone.

Players certainly to start with but I don’t think we will be going anywhere close to matching Pep or Klopps wages for a manager until we are in a position to need a manager like that.

Just now, Ikon said:

I can see him coming, but he won't come until after the season, if at all. 

Agree with this which leaves them (the owners) in a tricky situation about trying to fill the gap with someone good enough to keep us up. 

Just now, Manxst said:

I'd imagine it would be heavily incentivised as well.

There was a Dutch paper headline the other day with words to the effect of "Why on Earth would he go to Newcastle?" Well, given that he'd be given the job as a project, to build all sectors of the sporting side, from the youngest in training to the first team, to lay out and run an entire plan afresh, not carrying something on, finance being little obstacle in the most high profile league in the world at a place that's won nowt in two generations and one of the few places where a take off would affect the region well beyond sport. That's why.

I'd be surprised if deals aren't in place with Fonseca etc and they would jump at it and are prepared to wait to see if they get the job but picking the right person to carry out the vision takes time and maybe the top of the list takes more time to persuade.

Just now, madras said:

I'd imagine it would be heavily incentivised as well.

There was a Dutch paper headline the other day with words to the effect of "Why on Earth would he go to Newcastle?" Well, given that he'd be given the job as a project, to build all sectors of the sporting side, from the youngest in training to the first team, to lay out and run an entire plan afresh, not carrying something on, finance being little obstacle in the most high profile league in the world at a place that's won nowt in two generations and one of the few places where a take off would affect the region well beyond sport. That's why.

I'd be surprised if deals aren't in place with Fonseca etc and they would jump at it and are prepared to wait to see if they get the job but picking the right person to carry out the vision takes time and maybe the top of the list takes more time to persuade.

Totally agree. I read that same article and thought that I could list several reasons why he’d come, although mid season is the worst time for all concerned and puts the potential spanner in the works. 

I can completely understand them wanting to wait till the summer and maybe get an interim manager in, the list of managers we could get in the summer would be far greater than now.

The only issue is there being a manager willing to be the stop gap.

I'm veering back to wanting Ragnick as manager short term, then stepping up as a DOF to set an overall vision.

Because I think we need to decide on a style of play, and then bring in managers who can deliver that style.

At the moment, they'd have a fairly blank slate since we're a formless mess, so I'm open to whatever that is.

But I guess if you look at Man United as an example of what not to do, they've appointed managers in a fairly scattergun way recently, each with very different ideas about how they should play, and therefore buying players to fit.

Which, after two or three different managers gives you a real problem in terms of how your squad fits together.

It doesn't help that they've also gone for a few statement signings, seemingly as much for name as any football logic. Hope we manage to avoid this pitfall too.

Rafa would be perfect for another 3 and a half year stint like. Shockingly the only difference in defensive personnel since he was here is Krafth for Lejeune, and he would have a better forward line. He could sort us out short term then add some quality in January to take us to safety like his two full Premier League seasons here. He knows what’s needed off the pitch and on it, I reckon we’d be Leicester level of the last few seasons by the end of that 3.5 years. Perfect for ‘phase one’.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Whoever comes to us next will be purely down to money one way or another. 

Once we've established a bit higher up the league then the elite managers will start paying attention and see us as a good option.

Now we need someone brave, willing to take a chance and not afraid of a challenge.  None of the names mentioned so far fit that, barring the obvious lunatic that is Gattusso