Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

8 minutes ago, Manxst said:

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2020/05/28/tactical-philosophy-paulo-fonseca/

hmmmm….this part stood out…

”As a result, it is imperative to have centre backs comfortable in bringing the ball out of defence and breaking the lines with forward passes.”. It’ll have to be a busy January transfer window! 

That's a really good read. I'd be really pleased if he came in.

3 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Would take Fonseca. Don't like the scoreline in the title of the video above, mind. :lol:

I noticed that too :lol:

Beat them 2-1 with Shakhtar too at one point though.

12 minutes ago, Manxst said:

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2020/05/28/tactical-philosophy-paulo-fonseca/

hmmmm….this part stood out…

”As a result, it is imperative to have centre backs comfortable in bringing the ball out of defence and breaking the lines with forward passes.”. It’ll have to be a busy January transfer window! 

Schar lobbying like mad to get him in

I know he's more of an attacking coach, and our defence is a fucking mess. But our 'attacking' is equally as pathetic, Fonseca would surely bring in a plan other than pass the ball to Saint-Maximin, inshallah.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

8 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I know he's more of an attacking coach, and our defence is a fucking mess. But our 'attacking' is equally as pathetic, Fonseca would surely bring in a plan other than pass the ball to Saint-Maximin, inshallah.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

9 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

That write up Manxst posted reads very well regarding his defensive ideas. Not sure he'd be that bad defensively tbh. Interesting that he was actually a centre back when he played too.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

That write up Manxst posted reads very well regarding his defensive ideas. Not sure he'd be that bad defensively tbh. Interesting that he was actually a centre back when he played too.

So was Bruce, mind. :lol: But yeah I'll have a read. That Tifo video I posted the other day is a good watch too. Might throw a tenner on him, if it doesn't come in your brother owes me a couple pints @ManDoon

It's like that episode of fresh Prince.

Bruce: OK so Jamal what do you do when you get the ball?

Lascelles: Pass to Allan? 

Bruce: Well done, now Matt, what do you do when you get the ball?

Ritchie: Take it down the wing and try a cross into the box?

Bruce: Very funny, give me 20 push ups.

16 minutes ago, KaKa said:

That's a really good read. I'd be really pleased if he came in.

I said earlier in this thread that his philosophy is great, but I just don't think we've got the players to do attacking football, we'd not score enough goals get murdered on the counter. Could be very risky considering our league position. 

1 minute ago, TRon said:

I said earlier in this thread that his philosophy is great, but I just don't think we've got the players to do attacking football, we'd not score enough goals get murdered on the counter. Could be very risky considering our league position. 

FWIW we've scored more goals so far than Norwich, Burnley, Leeds, Southampton, Watford, Palace, Arsenal, Wolves, Spurs and Brighton. And scored the same amount as Brentford. I honestly think just the semblence of a plan, coaching and no days off would significantly improve us and Fonseca would bring that at the least. Attackers aren't our issue imo, it's Bruce and the defence. Because of Bruce we take a 1 goal lead and sit off, it's criminal with our defensive record.

5 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

FWIW we've scored more goals so far than Norwich, Burnley, Leeds, Southampton, Watford, Palace, Arsenal, Wolves, Spurs and Brighton. And scored the same amount as Brentford. I honestly think just the semblence of a plan, coaching and no days off would significantly improve us and Fonseca would bring that at the least. Attackers aren't our issue imo, it's Bruce and the defence. Because of Bruce we take a 1 goal lead and sit off, it's criminal with our defensive record.

I just remember when Rafa went 4-4-2 for a while it was a disaster. We could only defend effectively when we sat back in numbers. 

That said, we had Joselu then, now we've got Wilson and Max, so we do have a bit more firepower, assuming they are fit. 

Just now, TRon said:

I just remember when Rafa went 4-4-2 for a while it was a disaster. We could only defend effectively when we sat back in numbers. 

That said, we had Joselu then, now we've got Wilson and Max, so we do have a bit more firepower, assuming they are fit. 

I vaguely remember that, was in 2017-18 when we went on that 1 point from 27 run from November-December. 

We sit back in numbers now but remain a shambles. The brilliance of ASM and quality of Wilson has got us most of the goals we've scored this season, that'll change with a change of manager.

I stand by that we have decent players and okay squad at PL level, but when you've got players in the wrong positions, plodders playing instead of our best options, constant days off training and no semblance of any real identity you're going to struggle. And that stems from the manager. I don't care if the new owners have just come in and think they have 'time on their side' or whatever, each day Bruce stays he kills this club a little  more, making the damage ever more irreparable for a replacement. Get rid now and whether it's Fonseca that comes in or whoever, we have a good chance of getting ourselves out of this mess.

16 minutes ago, TRon said:

I'm not so sure. A trio of Almiron, Willock and ASM behind Wilson should be able to cause teams some problems with better instructions for that foursome to follow. Lots of pace, running and dribbling in those 4, and Wilson, Max and Willock can finish when in good positions. Fraser should also be able to add something off the bench too in one of those attacking midfielder slots. Please lets not forget that up until now we still have not seen some trio from Almiron, Fraser, ASM and Willock ever play off Wilson at any point for some reason. 

Regarding a defensive setup to help tighten us up that article on Fonseca talks about a very compact mid block he used at Shakhtar, which could be an option, and something we have never tried under Bruce. In actuality what have we tried under Bruce, other than just sit in our box and invite tons of pressure until we concede, because we don't have anyone upfield to release the ball to and get forward. Supposedly that is how you defend. It's ludicrous.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I'm not so sure. A trio of Almiron, Willock and ASM behind Wilson should be able to cause teams some problems with better instructions for that foursome to follow. Lots of pace, running and dribbling in those 4, and Wilson, Max and Willock can finish when in good positions. Fraser should also be able to add something off the bench too in one of those attacking midfielder slots. Please lets not forget that up until now we still have not seen some trio from Almiron, Fraser, ASM and Willock ever play off Wilson at any point for some reason. 

Regarding a defensive setup to help tighten us up that article on Fonseca talks about a very compact mid block he used at Shakhtar, which could be an option, and something we have never tried under Bruce. In actuality what have we tried under Bruce, other than just sit in our box and invite tons of pressure until we concede, because we don't have anyone upfield to release the ball to and get forward. Supposedly that is how you defend. It's ludicrous.

I wonder which midfielders we have that could effect a compact block? I'm assuming Fonseca is of the Poch mode and he likes to push up and press the opposition when we don't have the ball. Can you imagine that with Ritchie and Shelvey? Or Longstaff for that matter. 

But Fonseca won't be a mug, he'll probably adapt to the players he's got to work with. At least he's got some football ideas, unlike our current coach who's "let's play" mantra is about as tactical as he gets.