Newcastle United 2-3 Tottenham Hotspur - 17/10/21

Disco

31 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

About 4 posters on here did. But they also mentioned Shelvey and Darlow getting called up too, so….

That's not true, mind. He was looking very good under Rafa and at that time Maguire was getting his first call ups and there were plenty of voices questioning Maguire being called up over Lascelles. Which was fair at the time imo. Obviously not been the case in a while though.

31 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

About 4 posters on here did. But they also mentioned Shelvey and Darlow getting called up too, so….

Had he continued to develop, under Rafa, he probably would have been called up. Nobody really knew his ceiling at that time.

That early goal was a lovely moment, has to be said. I loved the emotion in those early moments. Wor Flags, the noise, Yasir looking genuinely overwhelmed by the occasion with his young lass at his side, that rapid move across the pitch and, as Manquillo ran onto it, you just knew it was going in once he delivered it. Cue jubilation and the pictures of people in the owners seats who weren't Ashley and Charnley, going bonkers and reaching an incredible crescendo of these past 10 days. It was tremendous and I actually felt a bit emotional. 

What followed was everything that those moments weren't. Dour, dire, dismal - Ashley, Bruce. 

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Thought Joelinton was fantastic those first ten minutes. :lol:

Still a big nowt, like. Bloke will never have a position. He's just a man who can kick a ball a bit; genuinely dunno if he'd be any worse at full-back than he is at LW or CF. 

He's so bad at executing what he's done well to get in a position to do. Was far too many examples today of him doing really well to get in a good position with a good touch, or holding it up, or beating someone, only to then play a horrible pass in an excellent situation. 

Just now, joeyt said:

Mad how we have Schar and Fernandez on the bench and we're still persisting with Clark. I bet Bruce loves him

Darlow, Lascelles, Clark, Hayden, Shelvey, Ritchie. :lol: Might as well chuck Gouffran and Anita in ffs. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Thought Joelinton was fantastic those first ten minutes. :lol:

Still a big nowt, like. Bloke will never have a position. He's just a man who can kick a ball a bit; genuinely dunno if he'd be any worse at full-back than he is at LW or CF. 

Debatable, mate. :lol:  

2 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

That's not true, mind. He was looking very good under Rafa and at that time Maguire was getting his first call ups and there were plenty of voices questioning Maguire being called up over Lascelles. Which was fair at the time imo. Obviously not been the case in a while though.

Agree. I remember being worried at one stage a big club would come in for him. In hindsight we probably didn't see his weaknesses, or maybe Rafa just masked them well, but at the same time, he's probably not as bad as he's looked under Bruce. 

Just now, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

He's so bad at executing what he's done well to get in a position to do. Was far too many examples today of him doing really well to get in a good position with a good touch, or holding it up, or beating someone, only to then play a horrible pass in an excellent situation. 

Some of his all-round game does occasionally give me hope that under an actual coach he might become a halfway decent player.  Then he'll trip over his own feet.

Just now, Pilko said:

Imagine how fucking incredible it'll be in a few years time to see a teamsheet with 20 names on it that didn't play for us in the 2016/17 Championship season. 

Sooner, please.

Clark and Hayden have regressed so much since the last time I was at SJP. Yards off it today. Darlow remains utterly garbage, as well.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

Sooner, please.

Clark and Hayden have regressed so much since the last time I was at SJP. Yards off it today. Darlow remains utterly garbage, as well.

Completely disagree with Hayden, think he's the only player in CM who can actually do a semblance of a job.

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Willock was really bad today as well, not that one man makes a central midfield. 

Last season he had a pre-season at Arsenal and was playing the way Arsenal have coached him for years.

This season he’s had a pre-season with Bruce, is coached by muppets and is given 4 days off a week.  This is very much Bruce’s version of Willock.

At least we know there’s a player in there. Hopefully the new manager can discover it.

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, 54 said:

Completely disagree with Hayden, think he's the only player in CM who can actually do a semblance of a job.

Completely disagree with that. He is no better than the shit in there.

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, 54 said:

Did, not now.

1 minute ago, Pilko said:

Imagine how fucking incredible it'll be in a few years time to see a teamsheet with 20 names on it that didn't play for us in the 2016/17 Championship season. 

Can't wait to forget about most of them. 

1 minute ago, 54 said:

He's the only one who can run and tackle, but he's not much good when he's on the ball. But the running probably makes him our best midfielder just by default. 

Just now, Rich said:

Sooner, please.

Those 2 are the 2 best examples of how much individuals have regressed under Bruce, like. Clark was pushing very in form Lascelles, Schar and Lejeune for a place in a brilliant back 3. He was better than Fernandez. I couldnt believe it as I thought he was awful before joining us. And Hayden was not only solid in front of them but also very adept and getting play moving from back to front. Couldnt say that about either of them now at all. I think Rafa made their roles so simple by really defining them it made their decision making on the pitch so much easier. Now they're all over the fucking shop.

Just now, 54 said:

Watched him closely today, he was nowhere far, far too often. No anticipation, no real bite, although admittedly he didn’t have much help after the opening 15z

Think he’s more than passable in a deep-lying two with a manager like Rafa, but that period was his ceiling here.

Clark, Darlow, Dummett, Lascelles, Hayden, Shelvey, Ritchie and Gayle we still have from the promotion season. 6 of those 8 players are regular starters, with Gayle a frequent sub and Dummett out of the picture.

In contrast, Brighton who came up with us have 3 - Dunk, Duffy and March - of which only 1 is still a regular starter, the other two being squad players.