Newcastle United 2-3 Tottenham Hotspur - 17/10/21

Disco

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Hilariously predictable what's happened to him, like. 

It really is astonishing how much he's regressed. Give the impression that last year he wasn't listening to Bruce as he knew he'd be back at Arsenal. Imagine he's thinking a new manager couldn't come soon enough.

But why not just play the shape that worked with these players late last season, even? Willock was so deep today and because he’s paired with ASM he spends so

much time covering wide.

Stupid question, I know. Can’t wait until we’ve got a competent manager again.

Dreadful experience really.

The pre-match and first five minutes were class. Loudest roar I’ve heard at SJP for years.

After that, it was typically shit. Chants for Bruce out non-existent until the final 10 minutes and could hear a pin drop for the majority. Stadium full of an Ashley generation. 

Hopefully the individual in the East Stand will be okay. It was recognisably a dreadful incident a few moments before the crowd managed to get the game stopped. Fair play to all involved though (including the players, specifically Eric Dier) who summoned help very quickly.

Not a dreadful experience in my eyes.   I knew we wouldn't win but even for the build up and the 1st 10 mins, watching my lads faces was everything.  My littlest said his ears were buzzing due to the noise at the start and 1st goal.    The rest was shit but Im glad I went.   The new owners look invested in the club and so I hope we now start to turn this oil tanker around.  Starting with Bruce getting the sack tomorrow!

7 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

The pre-match and first five minutes were class. Loudest roar I’ve heard at SJP for years.

After that, it was typically shit. Chants for Bruce out non-existent until the final 10 minutes and could hear a pin drop for the majority. Stadium full of an Ashley generation. 

Hopefully the individual in the East Stand will be okay. It was recognisably a dreadful incident a few moments before the crowd managed to get the game stopped. Fair play to all involved though (including the players, specifically Eric Dier) who summoned help very quickly.

Must agree apart from the pre match and the first 10 mins it’s was classic Ashley years . The game means nothing when a fellow fan was in trouble , I couldn’t tell from my seat but fingers crossed.

Game went as expected but means nowt in truth compared to that fans struggle. 

3 minutes ago, GWN said:

Must agree apart from the pre match and the first 10 mins it’s was classic Ashley years . The game means nothing when a fellow fan was in trouble , I couldn’t tell from my seat but fingers crossed.

Game went as expected but means nowt in truth compared to that fans struggle. 

It was close to us and did not look good at all. Really pleased to hear they are now stable and appearing to be on the road to recovery.

12 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

I really think most fans went to the game to celebrate today, probably didn't want to sour the atmosphere by protest chants....until they were almost forced into it by the sheer ineptitude on display. 

Agree on the stadium being full of the Ashley generation, but that's because the hardcore fans either got priced out or gave up their season tickets in protest.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

I really think most fans went to the game to celebrate today, probably didn't want to sour the atmosphere by protest chants....until they were almost forced into it by the sheer ineptitude on display. 

Agree on the stadium being full of the Ashley generation, but that's because the hardcore fans either got priced out or gave up their season tickets in protest.

Maybe so, but doesn’t explain why the stadium was pretty much near silent from five minutes onward, despite us leading at that point.

Not helped by the god awful tactics and football on display, but still really poor.

It can only get better from here!

Well the game was mostly shit, but I can't deny that I shed a tear after we scored the first goal. That's the most I've celebrated a goal in years, and it just felt like such a release of emotion to finally give a shit again about us.

Aside from the result, we've got just a handful of decent players and really need a complete overhaul in January. Bruce is not the man to oversea this and needs to be gone by the morning.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

But why not just play the shape that worked with these players late last season, even? Willock was so deep today and because he’s paired with ASM he spends so

much time covering wide.

Stupid question, I know. Can’t wait until we’ve got a competent manager again.

We have. We've played that 5-3-1-1 up until he changed it v Leeds. Teams find us out and Bruce, due to being so shit, is unable to adapt. We played 5-4-1 for the bulk of 2019-20 and we were defensively solid relatively speaking pre-COVID, COVID hit and teams proceeded to find us out after the restart, hence our 2 wins in 9. Then in 2020-21 he went back to a back 5 in late December, sticking with that until Jones came in. We then played that 'split striker' bullshit that Jones brought in before we then reverted to the 5-3-1-1 which you refer to.

We change formation, it brings us relative success for ~8 games before teams find us out, then it takes Bruce another 10 games to realise that and change it. It's so incompetent it's embarrassing.

28 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

It's very telling that a lot of the match day reports (from members getting back) are more about the crowd (and event) than the game. The game was so fucking poor after 15-20 mins, there clearly isn't much else to talk about.

Somehow the team managed to bend the fabric of time and make it draaaaaaag the fuck out. 

Exciting thing, for me, is that we can finally be optimistic that we're going to steadily improve. Deliberately improve, if you like. It'll take years...but it'll be better and better as we improve. 

Absolutely. 

11 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

:lol: 

Fernandez ad Schar are our best 2, I agree. Mix of abilities. 

Both of them were bought to play as part of a back 3, as were most of our central defenders. Bruce is trying to change things without having the slightest clue how to go about it.