Newcastle United 2-3 Tottenham Hotspur - 17/10/21

Disco

It did go dead but that's just another symptom of Ashley and Bruce era.   Ashley as he lowered expectations to zero and Bruce as his team setup, tactics etc offer nothing for the crowd to get excited against.   After the 1st 10 minutes, did Newcastle have a shot on target for the rest of the game?  Dont think so, you can only get so excited when NUFC wins a throw in :D

51 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Longstaff, Lascelles, Clark, Ritchie are the 4 that need to be jettisoned from this side asap.  All nowhere near PL level.

I would probably leave lascelles out of that as he was decent under Rafa, but will never be able to trap/pass a football.

Clark and Ritchie were not even good enough for a top ten championship side yesterday. Huge gaps and bad decisions time after time.

The whole team looked two yards off the mark yesterday. Confidence seems really low and it shows in the decisions they make.

Shelvey showed what he can do; four decent passes, easily dispossessed and a red card in waiting. Stupidest fouls from a very stupid man...

Bruce was clueless in his selection, but it was nice to see fraser get a run out, sure he can do more for us...

The atmosphere around town and during build-up / first 10 minutes was hopefully a glimpse into what is to come.

Obviously once the players reverted to Bruce ball and it turned into a Spurs training exercise everything went to pot, including the atmosphere. Still, good to properly feel it again.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Its amazing that Rafa had Longstaff looking like a competent PL midfielder.

I don't know what it is - lack of coaching/instructions/conditioning/mental strength or a combination of some/all. He looked very competent at the beginning of the match yesterday. Great intensity, got stuck in, quick and accurate forward passes - then spurs took over the initiative and he faded away to the hopeless player we've been accustomed to see - chasing shadows and not impacting the game in any meaningful way.

8 minutes ago, Foluwashola said:

The atmosphere around town and during build-up / first 10 minutes was hopefully a glimpse into what is to come.

Obviously once the players reverted to Bruce ball and it turned into a Spurs training exercise everything went to pot, including the atmosphere. Still, good to properly feel it again.

We've seen already in Rafa, when we have the right manager installed and players trying the atmosphere can be electric.

And that was at a time when Ashley was here and there was still no long term hopes.

My biggest fear in the end with Ashley was that the fanbase was once and for all ruined, just 40 odd thousand consumers on cheap tickets there for the PL experience being delivered by the opposition.

5 minutes ago, Conjo said:

I don't know what it is - lack of coaching/instructions/conditioning/mental strength or a combination of some/all. He looked very competent at the beginning of the match yesterday. Great intensity, got stuck in, quick and accurate forward passes - then spurs took over the initiative and he faded away to the hopeless player we've been accustomed to see - chasing shadows and not impacting the game in any meaningful way.

All they did was slow the game down - so simple.

The match itself was almost secondary for me yesterday, I thought we were going to get battered regardless and almost didn't give a toss about the result. My overriding emotion coming away was pride; I thought Wor Flags was fucking incredible and was a perfect crescendo to the atmosphere that had been bubbling up all afternoon.

Danny Murphy is a shite pundit usually, but his analysis of our defending on MOTD was spot on. We were a shambles at the back, no communication and no support from the plodders in the midfield. Funny how Rafa, managed to get (near enough) the same team to have a good defensive record, and not look stretched/wide open for 90 minutes every week.

Obviously he didn't blame Bruce directly, but he has completely undone the solid foundation that we had and that is clear for all to see now.

7 minutes ago, Klaus said:

Danny Murphy is a shite pundit usually, but his analysis of our defending on MOTD was spot on. We were a shambles at the back, no communication and no support from the plodders in the midfield. Funny how Rafa, managed to get (near enough) the same team to have a good defensive record, and not look stretched/wide open for 90 minutes every week.

Obviously he didn't blame Bruce directly, but he has completely undone the solid foundation that we had and that is clear for all to see now.

Would have loved someone to ask him how his criticism of the defence tallies up with him saying earlier in the week that no one could do better than Steve Bruce managing the club.

Accountability for previous comments, though? Nah.

4 hours ago, pedro111 said:

Watching this on the telly I was enjoying the brilliant atmosphere and then just as Martin Tyler started talking they turned the crowd noise right down to almost nothing. Even though it was bouncing and they kept going on about it, it sounded dead on the telly.

Why have Sky started fiddling with the crowd noise? It's not on.

Among those intervening when a fan collapsed during Sunday's game was A&E Doctor Tom Prichard, who is also part of the medical staff at Middlesbrough FC's youth academy and Newcastle Thunder rugby league team.

He spoke to the BBC on Monday:

"It's something you see at work fairly often but I haven't really had this outside of the hospital before.

There was an elderly gentleman laid out on the seats in cardiac arrest and CPR ongoing. Luckily, St John's got the pads on quickly. Another friend who sits next to me came over as well and we gave the guy a shock through the defebrillator.

"He was quite fortunate as well because very quickly, an intensive care doctor and a cardiologist arrived and we were able to bring him back again.

"I had no idea what was going on behind me; I had no idea the match had been stopped.

"This wasn't just me: I had a friend helping out and the other two doctors. St. John's were brilliant - the club doctor came over.

"I would say when I was walking back and fans were chanting "hero" at me, that was one of the best moments of my life."

Edited by Willow

15 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Just back in the house what a great day apart from the match.

The atmosphere in town and outside the ground before was on another level. Having never seen Wor Flags in the flesh, have to say it was spine tingling with big river playing.

Hats off to @Heronand his pals it was worth all your efforts.

Walking up under the Milburn before the game haven’t heard noise like that in a long time sent shivers, was a couple of Spurs fans in front of us and they we’re visibly in awe at was going on.

Have to say though after 10 mins it fell flat though as @Fantail Breeze has mentioned, understandably perhaps due to the shit show on the pitch.

This club is very special today confirmed that, I don’t think a city stops like ours does on match days. Will I get a season ticket again I really don’t know, I enjoyed it but i’m fucking drained. Today was about the new owners but the product on the pitch is everything, especially in the modern day with a new breed of fan.

I certainly think a singing section like we had in level 7 previously would be great if brought back. The Gallowagte seems to create all the noise and to ensure a great atmosphere going forward, I think they should shrink the family enclosure and get that singing section next to the away fans back again.

What a club and when they get this right it’ll be frightening.

Cheers, but honestly I had nowt to do with this display, other than throwing some ideas in the mix and tidying cupboard in preparation. Nice of you to say so though and I'll let the lads and lasses know.

It's important to us that we reflect the mood rather than dictate it so on occasions such as this it's always great to get good feedback. :thup:

24 minutes ago, Heron said:

Cheers, but honestly I had nowt to do with this display, other than throwing some ideas in the mix and tidying cupboard in preparation. Nice of you to say so though and I'll let the lads and lasses know.

It's important to us that we reflect the mood rather than dictate it so on occasions such as this it's always great to get good feedback. :thup:

Was brilliant and certainly made the occasion special. I’m sure the new owners enjoyed it to judging by their faces beforehand.

Edited by Whitley mag

2 hours ago, Willow said:

Among those intervening when a fan collapsed during Sunday's game was A&E Doctor Tom Prichard, who is also part of the medical staff at Middlesbrough FC's youth academy and Newcastle Thunder rugby league team.

He spoke to the BBC on Monday:

"It's something you see at work fairly often but I haven't really had this outside of the hospital before.

There was an elderly gentleman laid out on the seats in cardiac arrest and CPR ongoing. Luckily, St John's got the pads on quickly. Another friend who sits next to me came over as well and we gave the guy a shock through the defebrillator.

"He was quite fortunate as well because very quickly, an intensive care doctor and a cardiologist arrived and we were able to bring him back again.

"I had no idea what was going on behind me; I had no idea the match had been stopped.

"This wasn't just me: I had a friend helping out and the other two doctors. St. John's were brilliant - the club doctor came over.

"I would say when I was walking back and fans were chanting "hero" at me, that was one of the best moments of my life."

Just heard him speaking on the radio (at least I think it was him and not his doctor pal who was also on the scene). He also had to resuscitate someone on the way out of Old Trafford after our game there the other week! He said his family are scared to join him at the next match. :lol:

It sounded like a real team effort, and all involved should be thoroughly proud of themselves. Heroes. 

2 hours ago, James said:

Football stadiums are now probably the second safest place in the world to have a heart attack

Cardiac arrest is not necessarily a heart attack. Many other potential causes of an arrest:

https://www.firstaidforfree.com/reversible-causes-of-cardiac-arrest-the-four-hs-and-four-ts/

Sorry to be a pedant but I'm a cardiac rehab nurse. Probably is a decent place to have a heart attack as well tbf. 

Edited by La Parka

Regardless Bruce, the Sports Direct signs or whatever else still remains from the Ashley era, it was an absolutely fantastic, moving day.

The emotion I felt hearing Big River - namely 'the river will rise again' followed by Local Hero, is something that will live long in the memory. Tears in my eyes and goosebumps all over - I'm getting them again as I type this. As I've touched on previously, I lost my brother this summer who was a season ticket holder with me until we packed in when Benitez left. I'm fucking devastated he never got to experience this but I know wherever he is, he would have been smiling down.

Town was incredible beforehand, you really could feel it in the air. St James' was full about 10 minutes before kick off. Was a proper old school atmosphere that will live with us all forever. That hasn't been felt in God knows how long. There's kids there who would have never, ever have experienced anything like that. I do fear the crowd in general has changed but hopefully in time we will get it bouncing again. A lot will depend on certain people getting their Season Tickets back, it's sad to read many have just completely fallen out of love with it and don't intend to go back - I know a few myself. I feared I'd be one of them but was so moved and how easily the switch flicked for me being in the Gallowgate.

It's a mighty shame the team and match itself was shocking, and the head coach is a circus animal, but for now it's just important for us all to come to terms with having Newcastle United back in our lives feels fucking amazing.

The river will rise again indeed.

Hats off to all those involved in saving that bloke's life too. Remarkable people and would like to think the club invite them as guests to the next game.

we were watching the CPR from the Gallowgate..

i think the real hero was the lass sat next to him.

she was doing chest compressions for at least 10 minutes and that's not easy.

if she hadnt, the chances of the defibrillator working would have markedly reduced.

think i've read on social media somewhere she was a nurse.