Newcastle United 2-3 Tottenham Hotspur - 17/10/21

1 hour ago, Rich said:

But why not just play the shape that worked with these players late last season, even? Willock was so deep today and because he’s paired with ASM he spends so

much time covering wide.

Stupid question, I know. Can’t wait until we’ve got a competent manager again.

We have. We've played that 5-3-1-1 up until he changed it v Leeds. Teams find us out and Bruce, due to being so shit, is unable to adapt. We played 5-4-1 for the bulk of 2019-20 and we were defensively solid relatively speaking pre-COVID, COVID hit and teams proceeded to find us out after the restart, hence our 2 wins in 9. Then in 2020-21 he went back to a back 5 in late December, sticking with that until Jones came in. We then played that 'split striker' bullshit that Jones brought in before we then reverted to the 5-3-1-1 which you refer to.

We change formation, it brings us relative success for ~8 games before teams find us out, then it takes Bruce another 10 games to realise that and change it. It's so incompetent it's embarrassing.

Richie never has and never will be a defender and Bruce wonders why we concede so many goals.  Its because he continues to play people out of position.

10 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Matt Ritchie as LB in a 4 is a sex crime. Horrible 

With Jokelinton ahead of him n all. Emerson won’t have an easier game all season.

28 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

It's very telling that a lot of the match day reports (from members getting back) are more about the crowd (and event) than the game. The game was so fucking poor after 15-20 mins, there clearly isn't much else to talk about.

Somehow the team managed to bend the fabric of time and make it draaaaaaag the fuck out. 

Exciting thing, for me, is that we can finally be optimistic that we're going to steadily improve. Deliberately improve, if you like. It'll take years...but it'll be better and better as we improve. 

Absolutely. 

11 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

:lol: 

Fernandez ad Schar are our best 2, I agree. Mix of abilities. 

Both of them were bought to play as part of a back 3, as were most of our central defenders. Bruce is trying to change things without having the slightest clue how to go about it. 

Just back in the house what a great day apart from the match.

The atmosphere in town and outside the ground before was on another level. Having never seen Wor Flags in the flesh, have to say it was spine tingling with big river playing.

Hats off to @Heronand his pals it was worth all your efforts.

Walking up under the Milburn before the game haven’t heard noise like that in a long time sent shivers, was a couple of Spurs fans in front of us and they we’re visibly in awe at was going on.

Have to say though after 10 mins it fell flat though as @Fantail Breeze has mentioned, understandably perhaps due to the shit show on the pitch.

This club is very special today confirmed that, I don’t think a city stops like ours does on match days. Will I get a season ticket again I really don’t know, I enjoyed it but i’m fucking drained. Today was about the new owners but the product on the pitch is everything, especially in the modern day with a new breed of fan.

I certainly think a singing section like we had in level 7 previously would be great if brought back. The Gallowagte seems to create all the noise and to ensure a great atmosphere going forward, I think they should shrink the family enclosure and get that singing section next to the away fans back again.

What a club and when they get this right it’ll be frightening.

Edited by Whitley mag

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I was going to say war crime, but I do agree. 

To be fair I thought Manquillo was abducted by aliens on and off throughout the game the amount of times he was missing on spurs attacks.

Whether he was ever going to be good enough or not Lewis's confidence must be absolutely non-existent. I love Bruce hammering his defence. If only we had a manager that new something about defending. His comments before the game about only doing management because it was the closest he could get to playing was as ridiculous as it gets too. "not a day I don't wake up wanting to be on the pitch rather than the dugout but this will do." Certainly not the buzz of coaching players, seeing them blossom or learning more about the game. Guess he will never know having never done that in 1000 games.

even though it was only towards the end of the game when even a point was out of the question,   the amount abuse from "support the team" fans when we started abusing bruce was ridiculous.

Edited by huss9

26 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

It was difficult to make out what was going on but a guy in a grey jumper ran around to where the struggling fan was and jumped in to help. I take it he was a doctor or nurse - was absolutely mesmerising to watch someone react like that, tbh. 

Someone sat near me said they knew him when he used to be a medical student at Newcastle Uni, he was a very big lad so easy to recognise I guess.

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

even though it was only towards the end of the game when even a point was out of the question,   the amount abuse from "support the team" fans when we started abusing bruce was ridiculous.

What they've miss is the fact that abusing Bruce IS supporting the team :lol: 

First 10 mins when the “game plan” went out the window due to adrenaline were the best 10 mins of football we’ve played all season.

Some slob then decided to get in the players heads pulling them back and look what happened.

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

As bad as the game was, I’m still absolutely hyped. Walking around the house signing Big River :lol:

It’s hard to care again, but it’s brilliant. 

You hard of hearing?

Was at the game today, the atmosphere just died after the incident in the East stand. Spurs third goal went in not long after play resumed and it was just Spurs fans for the rest of the afternoon you could hear bar the Brucey out chants at the end.

Lad I was sat next to said "There's no need for that, we're all meant to be together today", poor fella must have thought he was attending a live screening of Sesame Street or something.