Crystal Palace vs. Newcastle United 23/10/21 @ 15:00 (No TV)

Big match. We really need 3 points here as, besides Norwich, there seems to be a real lack of the usual hopeless bottom-feeders in the league this year. We can’t just rely on 2 other teams being shit.

Realistically, we have to get better results than Southampton, Burnley and Watford now to stay up.

10 hours ago, Rich said:

Dubravka

Manquillo

Lascelles

Fernandez

Lewis

Willock

Hayden

Longstaff

Almiron

Wilson

Saint-Maximin

4-3-1-2 with the split strikers, see if we can spring a surprise as at Everton (a) last season.

Quite like this team and formation - wonder if he’s brave enough to do it (as it’s easily sussed).

Just being confident that there will be eleven players in position will be a huge plus.

I would like to see first of all a defensively tight team but with attacking potential:

-----------------Dubs------------------

-----Schar------Lascel-------Fede-----

Murphy---Hayd----Willock--------Lewis (?Manquillo)

--------Almiron------St max----------

-------------Wilson---------------

The main worry for me is that the back three are pretty slow, hopefully only one of the wing backs would push on at the same time

I'm really looking forward to this one. Not just because the previous regime is now gone, but we will get to see how this squad fares with Bruce out of the way and Jones given a free reign. 

I'd expect to see some shape and more of a game plan this weekend. 

2-1 win. 

I think we'll be better and maybe even look a bit more like a team on the pitch, but think we'll still have that Bruce hangover and maybe scrape a draw against Viera's well-organised Palace.

Fear that squad fitness from not training enough will probably let us down, just hope there's no injuries (ASM, Wilson). 

Edited by Scribble

3 hours ago, Shearergol said:

It's still going to come down to fitness. We need a couple of early goals as we know full well by the 70th minute we'll have no legs.

Actually think sitting back and parking the bus makes more sense from that perspective. Less running means we might last until the 85th minute instead. 

5 minutes ago, buzza said:

Watched Palace on Monday and they looked pretty decent against an arsenal side that is on the up...

They have very good attacking options now. Zaha, Eze, Olise, Gallagher, Edouard, Benteke. You'd think they'd score 1-3 goals against us.

Going to be a very interesting team selection.  Actually cant wait for that alone.

The Jo situation and whether, depending on how the game is going, Gayle gets a good wedge of time (30mins or so) at his former club.

Given how they looked the other night, we'd do well to get a draw probably. Were gonna regret giving Bruce the fixtures he got for a good while I fear.

22 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Disagree, it protects the English football pyramid

Yeah I know, but it’s weird that this is the one thing they’ve picked. They want me to be a Newcastle fan, buy tickets, merchandise and spend money on Sky. But my team is playing away on a Saturday so I’m expected to go to Dunston Fed instead of watching it? Doesn’t seem fair at all to me. 

6 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yeah I know, but it’s weird that this is the one thing they’ve picked. They want me to be a Newcastle fan, buy tickets, merchandise and spend money on Sky. But my team is playing away on a Saturday so I’m expected to go to Dunston Fed instead of watching it? Doesn’t seem fair at all to me. 

It also massively encourages piracy. Perhaps a better system to protect the pyramid would be to allow for saturday 3pm matches but ensure greater revenue sharing down the pyramid from what is earned.

10 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I agree. Wish there was an extra subscription or fee to get all 38 games of your team live, would happily pay for that. I don't think Rochdale's crowds would suffer because Man Utd are away at Brighton at the same time. Even still, the top 6 clubs are on TV 5 weeks out of 6 so they're rarely going to play at 3pm on a Saturday. Still, a 3pm game won't affect the local League 1, 2 and National League clubs' gates that much imo. At the end of the day, I just want to watch me team. :lol: Everyone else everywhere else on the planet can watch us but I can't (legally).

Edited by HaydnNUFC

31 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I agree. Wish there was an extra subscription or fee to get all 38 games of your team live, would happily pay for that. I don't think Rochdale's crowds would suffer because Man Utd are away at Brighton at the same time. Even still, the top 6 clubs are on TV 5 weeks out of 6 so they're rarely going to play at 3pm on a Saturday. Still, a 3pm game won't affect the local League 1, 2 and National League clubs' gates that much imo. At the end of the day, I just want to watch me team. :lol: Everyone else everywhere else on the planet can watch us but I can't (legally).

Same here. Don't really watch a lot of the other games, but I end up paying a fair whack to Sky and BT just so I can watch our games when they are on plus UFC. Would probably pay a bit more just to watch all our games and get rid of some of the extras, but I guess it's nice to watch the odd neutral game sometimes as well.

Guest reefatoon

Will be interesting to see who Jones picks and what formation we play. It will show how much or little input he had when Bruce was in charge. If it’s exactly the same team and formation as it was when Bruce was here we might be in trouble [emoji38]

Edited by reefatoon

19 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Of course it's fair. Nobody has a god given right to watch every single football match on TV. If you want to watch it go to Selhurst Park.