Paulo Fonseca

Fantail Breeze

Nahh.. Fonseca would be a very risky appointment imo. He didn't do too bad at Roma points-wise but his football wasn't all that and the fans and the players never really warmed to him. He doesn't seem particularly charismatic or influential as a person either. 

Lol, any appointment is risky.  However, we are only 8 games into a season   2-3 wins and everyone will wonder what the fuss was about.  Do not get an English manager in.  Dont want the fake love fest like Bruce has had.

6 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

The formation Fonseca likes to use can certainly be risky. If he gets the job, I would expect huge investment in the defence and midfield.

We could essentially be playing with 3 at the back so we’re going to need big boots to make us formidable there. He’ll try and take Ibañez from Roma and why not Koulibaly if he can be bought? Schär could also quite easily play on the right side of a back 3.

He plays wing backs but they play really high up so maybe Murphy gets a chance there?

I’d assume the existing squad (or some of them) are going to get a chance to stake a claim.. Lascelles, Clark, Fernandez, Lewis and Manquillo will be toast though.

I think Lewis might get his chance with Fonseca. Whether he can take it...

6 minutes ago, Emotic said:

We've quickly gone full circle from "A cardboard cutout is better than Steve Bruce" to "We're too good for Paulo Fonseca" I see.[emoji38]

More 'not good enough in every other regard' really :)

11 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Were Roma second bottom and utter fucking dogshit though

I don’t know, should he only be given a head coaching job at a team in precisely the same circumstances as his previous job? What sort of reasoning is that? 

If he’s got enough about him he’ll set the team up for success based on what he’s got to work with. We’ll find that out soon enough if he’s appointed. The club are interviewing multiple candidates, these things will be discussed I’m sure.

We need to get someone in who can organise what we have and to stop shipping goals. This season is all about staying up, get a centre half, central midfielder and goal scorer in January and hopefully survive.

If we keep shipping goals nothing will really change, we’re just not going to start winning games 3-2, 4-3. We need a Rafa type manager, no point in getting in an adventurous manager and getting spanked early on. We’ll be adrift in no time.

Just now, Tsunami said:

We need to get someone in who can organise what we have and to stop shipping goals. This season is all about staying up, get a centre half, central midfielder and goal scorer in January and hopefully survive.

If we keep shipping goals nothing will really change, we’re just not going to start winning games 3-2, 4-3. We need a Rafa type manager, no point in getting in an adventurous manager and getting spanked early on. We’ll be adrift in no time.

This is my worry too, January is going to be so huge in our season and who we buy or don’t. 

Imo we get the manager we want to achieve the progress we desire. No good looking for a short term appointment who they think might keep us up then end up having to stick with him until he doesn’t achieve the aim we have then we have to sack him mid term next season and start all over again. Start at the top and aim high straight away. 

We’re letting in far too many easy goals. If we do go for an attack minded manager they’re going to have to reign that in for the rest of this season. Get organised at the back and play on the counter attack, keep Wilson and ASM fit.

I suppose this is what 14 years of Ashley and two and a bit of the lard monster has done to us

After watching the doco on PF at Shaktar it obvious he is meticulous in his approach and would tweak what we have to improve performances and fitness levels (the early stages of games have proved we can actually play a bit….but fitness is shot)…..I am astounded that some are saying maybe we shouldn’t  aim high yet as we need to survive….shit let’s get another PFM relegation battler in then….err no fuck that!

Look what Rafa achieved when we got Rondon/Migs in (small changes : big improvement) and WE WILL spend in January and PF will get us playing a game that will win games, if the players can’t do this then they have two months to adapt or they will be on the Bruce highway. If it fails then the plan is put back one year, the media and others will gloat….but they will know that our day is coming

in PF we trust 🤗

Edited by Mag_in_NZ

I’m all in for Fonseca. Improving ball retention can take the pressure off of our defence for long periods in games.  Buy him a new spine of the team in January and he keeps us up no problem. 

Edited by greydos

24 minutes ago, greydos said:

I’m all in for Fonseca. Improving ball retention can take the pressure off of our defence for long periods in games.  Buy him a new spine of the team in January and he keeps us up no problem. 

This is the thing, we are so bad defensively because we literally cannot keep hold of the ball for more than 2 passes, and so the opposition always have so much possession they just end up bullying us the whole game and pushing us further and further back.

We also cannot ever press the other team for more than 5 mins in a match it seems before we then just end up standing there watching them will they pass the ball comfortably and drift around us like it's a training session for them.

These are our two biggest issues regarding our defensive problems, rather than a general inability to defend, and so we really need someone that is going to encourage and organise the team to both press the opposition more, and do far more with the ball when we have it. Both would make a huge difference.

Just now, HTT II said:

I’m of the KK school of you defend first by attacking… 

He does play attacking football but its not like the defence is unorganised. Its highly organised and requires a lot of coaching of the centre backs to make it work. The centre backs are probably the most important players in his system.