Paulo Fonseca

Fantail Breeze

Fonseca game is short accurate passes with speed how many of our current players have this in them,

the Portuguese players have this gift in abundance. he had six Portuguese players in his team,

when shakhtar beat Manchester City in the Champions League in 2017.

4 minutes ago, prefabtoon said:

Fonseca game is short accurate passes with speed how many of our current players have this in them,

the Portuguese players have this gift in abundance. he had six Portuguese players in his team,

when shakhtar beat Manchester City in the Champions League in 2017.

So we need someone who can manage what we have........and who is available...........Bru...............:suicide:

31 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

He does play attacking football but its not like the defence is unorganised. Its highly organised and requires a lot of coaching of the centre backs to make it work. The centre backs are probably the most important players in his system. 

I can see us going straight in for at least one new CB in Jan if he comes in.

Guest reefatoon
2 hours ago, relámpago blanco said:

People need to remember this. 

I'm calm and relaxed now that Bruce has gone. It was the one thing that needed to happen right off the bat. There was far too much poison and vitriol around him and keeping him as long as we did was pointless and only added fuel to the fire. Especially as it looks like we don't have a direct replacement ready to step in, so keeping him on for those 12 days seems a little baffling.  Anyway, the fucker is gone now, so it's full steam ahead. 

10 minutes ago, Sima said:

We’re in desperate need of full backs.

yeah lb in particular is the first place I’d look to strengthen. Then cm or cb. Not saying we shouldn’t go after a forward but we atleast have Wilson in that position even if he is injury prone.

10 hours ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, it's strange because so many people wanted Biesla at one point and his defensive structure isn't the best either.

I still think Bielsa is an amazing manager, but they are near the bottom of the table because they don't have good enough players in key areas. When you play attacking football, it's essential you put your chances away, that means top class forwards.

This is also going to be a problem for us if we have the likes of Joelinton or Almiron up front. We can fix it to some extent in January, but we will need to pick up points before then, and from experience we've only done it when playing park the bus tactics with this lot. 

After anxiously hoping for the takeoever, then for the fat kebab monster to go, now I'm so anxious about wanting this guy to be appointed. Yes I have reservations about the suitability of our team to his style..but fuck it, I'd take him any day over Howe, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney and God forbid, Allardyce again.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

I still think Bielsa is an amazing manager, but they are near the bottom of the table because they don't have good enough players in key areas. When you play attacking football, it's essential you put your chances away, that means top class forwards.

This is also going to be a problem for us if we have the likes of Joelinton or Almiron up front. We can fix it to some extent in January, but we will need to pick up points before then, and from experience we've only done it when playing park the bus tactics with this lot. 

We know that Miggy can put the ball away though. The right system takes a lot of pressure off the likes of ASM and Miggy and I'd wager that we'll see a lot more output from them if we had a more attacking mindset 

5 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

We know that Miggy can put the ball away though. The right system takes a lot of pressure off the likes of ASM and Miggy and I'd wager that we'll see a lot more output from them if we had a more attacking mindset 

Disagree that he can put the ball away, I think he's got really weak finishing instincts. But he has other great qualities, am pretty sure, like Rafa, Fonseca would want to make use of his pace and work rate. 

We'd have to pin our hopes of goals on Willock and ASM, and hope Wilson stays fit. If you've got those three available most games, you should be able to score enough goals to win games. 

I think we're alright at CB. Lascalles, Schar, Fernandez, Clark and Dummer is solid enough until the summer.

Id say full back and centre mid are a priority. We could do with a striker too, so we can manage Wilson's minutes to prevent him breaking down as much.

Someone posted what looked a quite decent team that seemed to fit Fonseca’s Roma formation. Went something like:

Dubravka - Schar, Fernandez, Lascelles - Lewis, Hayden, Willock, Manquillo - ASM, Wilson, Almiron. (Maybe 1 or 2 wrong).

If he can get that team on the park regularly, we’ll surely pick up a few wins before January and then he can get some quality in to fit his formation. I’m hoping for four starters, and maybe that’s ambitious, but I’d like to aim for the top half this season if possible. I’m also walking around with a semi, thinking “imagine we won the FA Cup this year”.

Edited by Raconteur
Miggy for Fraser

33 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

😂😎 fonz.jpg

Would be a good sigining, the tune fits the current state of joy:

Sunday Monday happy days
Tuesday Wednesday happy days
Thursday Friday happy days
Saturday what a day
Rockin' all week for you

6 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

Especially if it's Fonseca. They are key in his system

I do like that about the way he plays, just look at that goal we scored on Sunday where Manquilo bombed forward and crossed for the assist. We don't see enough of that, and it would improve our football going forward no end. 

Fonseca's philosophy is short passing and he sets his teams up to have lots of options to enable this. Would be a very far cry from 'let's attack', or 'let's defend 'as per Steve Bruce tactics. 

I was just reading a Spurs take on Fonseca.

Apparently it was agreed in principle that he would be their new manager last summer. They then appointed a new DoF who raised questions about his playing style and in particular his side's defensive records. The DoF pushed for someone a bit more conservative and they ended up with Nuno. 

Guest reefatoon
5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I was just reading a Spurs take on Fonseca.

Apparently it was agreed in principle that he would be their new manager last summer. They then appointed a new DoF who raised questions about his playing style and in particular his side's defensive records. The DoF pushed for someone a bit more conservative and they ended up with Nuno. 

I think this is why we should appoint a DoF first, so he can recommend/bring in the person he can work with best. If it is all seamless and they are working from the same page, then that will only benefit us from the off.