Paulo Fonseca

Fantail Breeze

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

:lol: Only took 15 years but I think we'll get them now.

Other then that period where we had 2/3 decent RB's back to back (Debuchy, Janmaat etc), our full-back have generally been fucking shite under Ashleys reign. Like have we had an actual decent left-back in 14 years? Santon maybe? :lol: 

Edit: Completely forgot about Enrique somehow. 

Edited by 54

Generally always had 1 good one and 1 decent one. It's been turbo shit recently. If only Willems kept fit and we signed him permanently. He'd have been good to go for now. 

I hope we sign some real quality fullbacks / wingbacks Jan 1. 

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We still took a few batterings when he came in to help us stay up even after Kilcline. If Fonseca does the same then kicks us on second season like Keegan did then fantastic.

Yeah well obviously not from day 1, he'll man we beat Man Utd 5-0 then I think Saints put 6 past then.....doesn't mean they had a shit defence.

Edited by madras

He is the sexy choice. Whether it's the right one remains to be seen! 

I'm in! BBC reporting the talks and seems like he is being heavily pushed above all others. Still feel they will appoint a DoF first and then get them to decide which they like from whom they have interviewed. So far from a given he is the one we end up with. 

Would love it to get announced tomorrow with the DoF and Manager at the same time. 

We’ve been so disorganised for so long I’m completely at a loss as to how good our players actually are. Defensively we’ve been absolutely wank for some time and age is always a factor, but it’s virtually the same line up that Rafa managed to get a tune out of. I wouldn’t surprise me that someone coming in and imparting some pretty simplistic tactical instructions makes us look a lot more solid.

29 minutes ago, 54 said:

Other then that period where we had 2/3 decent RB's back to back (Debuchy, Janmaat etc), our full-back have generally been fucking shite under Ashleys reign. Like have we had an actual decent left-back in 14 years? Santon maybe? :lol: 

Edit: Completely forgot about Enrique somehow. 

You left out Jetro Willems who was half decent for us before his injury. 

5 minutes ago, christ said:

We’ve been so disorganised for so long I’m completely at a loss as to how good our players actually are. Defensively we’ve been absolutely wank for some time and age is always a factor, but it’s virtually the same line up that Rafa managed to get a tune out of. I wouldn’t surprise me that someone coming in and imparting some pretty simplistic tactical instructions makes us look a lot more solid.

Bruce got a tune out if them back end of last season.

Amazing how far gone we are with battered wife syndrome. Must be safe, must defend, we are shit, worthless, we can't attack. Time to take a leap of faith for me and shake off the last 14 years of absolutely eye bleed inducing football. As the old chant used to go before this turned to shit - Attack Attack Attack. 

34 minutes ago, OCK said:

WE WOULDN'T HIRE HIM IF HIS NAME WAS PAUL FORD WOULD WE 

If he was thoughtful and meticulous in his approach to the way we play and considered the opponents (rather than simply “bigging them up”) then he could be called Jumbo Higgingbottom for all I care…..Kevin, Bobby, Chris, Glen…

Edited by Mag_in_NZ

1 hour ago, PauloGeordio said:

"The best way to defend is to have the ball. We have an obligation with supporters to create a spectacle, a good show. I have to be offensive and dominate the games... These are things which will die with me." - Paulo Fonseca

bring him home 

When I first read that he said that I nearly creamed my jeans.  If we still gives up 2.4 goals a game, well then,  we'll score 3 :kasper:

1 minute ago, STM said:

Says I need to get an account.

You have to click it twice, really quickly.

Anyway:

Portuguese coach Paulo Fonseca is the choice of Newcastle United director, and part owner, Amanda Staveley to succeed Steve Bruce and steer the club away from relegation danger.

Fonseca, 48, has held talks with the club, at which Staveley was present, after she brokered the recent Saudi Arabian takeover deal that saw the Public Investment Fund (PIF) gain control at St James’ Park.

Staveley is understood to be impressed with the former AS Roma manager, who also won three titles with Shakhtar Donetsk in Ukraine, but any final decision would have to be rubber-stamped by Newcastle chairman Yasir Al-Rumayyan. He represents the interests of principal shareholder PIF, which owns 80 per cent of the club. Staveley's PCP Capital Partners hold 10 per cent, with the remaining 10 per cent controlled by the Reuben family, represented on the club's newly-constituted board by son Jamie.

The club’s major decision is whether they need a short-term appointment to ensure survival before building from next summer’s transfer window onwards. Fonseca has no experience of the Premier League but was at Roma after their takeover in 2020 and reached the Europa League semi-finals last season. It is understood he would command a salary of £6 million, including bonuses.

Should there be an agreement for him to succeed Bruce, Fonseca would be among the better-paid managers outside the group of Champions League-qualifying or title-winning coaches currently in the Premier League.

Al-Rumayyan agreed earlier this week to pay Bruce’s £8m compensation clause, and securing the right man to lead the club in the PIF era will require more investment, even for coaches like Fonseca who will not trigger a “transfer” fee payable to another club.

Frank Lampard, Eddie Howe and Lucien Favre are others under consideration who are looking to return to management, while Steven Gerrard has started his coaching career well at Rangers.

Managers joining a club mid-season usually negotiate a survival bonus should they keep the club in the division, with Newcastle second from bottom and just a point ahead of Norwich City, although also a victory away from climbing out of the bottom three.

Fonseca was in talks to be Jose Mourinho’s successor at Tottenham Hotspur in the summer before negotations broke down, but he has made it clear he would work in England for the right project.

He has been based in Kiev, where his wife is from, and some talks with Newcastle have been via video calls. He has outlined his football philosophy that has developed throughout a coaching career that started in the lower leagues of the Portuguese game and then into high-profile jobs with Porto, Paços Ferreira and Braga.

In a recent interview with Telegraph Sport, he emphasised his commitment to playing attacking football and said that his style would suit the English game perfectly.

Until an appointment is made, Graeme Jones has been put in charge as caretaker manager and will take the helm this weekend for the trip to Crystal Palace, his first match as a Premier League manager

Based on pretty much fuck all. I would prefer Favre to Fonesca. But to be honest, It’s just nice to be getting linked with actual managers again (bar Benitez, of course).

Not just PFM’s and shithouses from the footballing scrapheap. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

After everything I've read and heard about Fonseca now I think I'm going to be actually gutted if it doesn't transpire. He sounds like an exciting appointment with a great philosophy. After the last 2 and a bit seasons it'll just be good to have a manager with a style and philosophy full stop.

8 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Based on pretty much fuck all. I would prefer Favre to Fonesca. But to be honest, It’s just nice to be getting linked with actual managers again (bar Benitez, of course).

Not just PFM’s and shithouses from the footballing scrapheap. 

I’m the same. Favre seems to have marginally more pedigree at the very top level, and even if he does lose his way after a few years he does seem to be able to get teams performing well and getting results in the shorter term. His stint a Monchengladbach is very similar to what’s required here.