Transfer rumours

Yorkie

I make it we have made approximately £25m profit on transfers with Mitro going...

Out:

Mitro £22m

Mbemba £6m

Merino: £10m

Sels: £4m

Haidara, Gamez and the young'uns: Nowt

Total £42m

In:

Schar: £3.5m

Muto: £9m

Ki and Kenedy: Bugger all, maybe a loan fee of a couple of mill

Total £15m-ish

is how I see it...

Dubravka?

Oh aye, forgot him. So aye about £25m profit.

Guest firetotheworks

I think we can just about get away with getting a left back (instead of a left back and a centre back) to allow Dummett to go centre back if needed. I think that'll be where we scrimp. I'll be amazed if we sign a #10, despite how badly we need one.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm basically banking on Rafa turning Rondon into peak Benzima lite if that's who we're definitely going for.

Thing with Rondon is if we were signing him from Malaga or Zenit then everybody would probably be excited about it. It's because he's already been here a while, is kicking on 29 now and been average at best in England so isn't an exciting signing. He still is likely an upgrade on Gayle/Joselu and more suited to what Rafa wants than Mitrovic.

The most worrying thing with Rondon is he's a player who was explosive and powerful when he came through in Spain, which compensated for his limited technical ability. He never rounded his game, and it seems like he's slowing down now.

Rafa is the first manager Ashley has had that has improved players.  All of those 5th/6th options, were wasted money under previous managers mostly ending up loaned out with us paying part of their wages until they have seen out their contract.  If they had bought a couple of 1st choice players instead, they could probably have sold them on for a profit and they would probably have been more cost-effective in the long run.

Would Lascelles have developed into the player he is currently under any other manager - he was pretty much ignored by the previous managers.  If the club end up selling him for a big fee then that will be purely down to Rafa.

Rafa wanted to keep Thauvin didn't he? Wonder how he'd have turned out with the right manager

Did he? That's news to me, my impression was that Thauvin didn't want to be here and pretty much made that obvious.

Given the limited squad we have just need a striker who can make the ball stick higher up the pitch and bring others into the game. Hopefully Rondon can do that if he joins, with the likes of Perez, Muto, Kenedy and Shelvey potentially getting opportunities off him.

Rafa is the first manager Ashley has had that has improved players.  All of those 5th/6th options, were wasted money under previous managers mostly ending up loaned out with us paying part of their wages until they have seen out their contract.  If they had bought a couple of 1st choice players instead, they could probably have sold them on for a profit and they would probably have been more cost-effective in the long run.

Would Lascelles have developed into the player he is currently under any other manager - he was pretty much ignored by the previous managers.  If the club end up selling him for a big fee then that will be purely down to Rafa.

Rafa wanted to keep Thauvin didn't he? Wonder how he'd have turned out with the right manager

Did he? That's news to me, my impression was that Thauvin didn't want to be here and pretty much made that obvious.

Eh?

Going with the worst case from this point, I'm hopeful we'll sign a striker (probably Rondon) and with Lejeune's injury a free or loan centre-half (like Reyes) is also a priority. If those two things happen, then our transfer business has been satisfactory under the circumstances Ashley imposes on us

Unfortunately, the worst case also includes players sold and replaced inadequately (like Lacselles). That would be entirely unsatisfactory :(