Transfer rumours

Yorkie

Concerned Rafa isn't seemingly interested in signing a CM.

Not that it matters as I doubt he'll get anyone he wants anyway.

Maia and we've signed Ki?

Is Maia a CM?  I have no idea tbh, I just don't think relying on Shelvey and Diame is a good idea and I wouldn't be surprised if one if not both significantly drops off.

Guest reefatoon

The Maia reports are growing stronger, i have no idea who he is to be honest.

For the very little that it's worth, he's got one of the highest potential ratings in the world on PES.[emoji38] A strong, mobile, forward thinking midfielder looking at his YouTube highlights, but I think he maybe plays in more of a DM position.

Defensive midfielder, who has spent much of last season being played out of position at left back.

Left back you say? 2 positions for the price of one. This pleases Mike. We accept.

The Maia reports are growing stronger, i have no idea who he is to be honest.

For the very little that it's worth, he's got one of the highest potential ratings in the world on PES.[emoji38] A strong, mobile, forward thinking midfielder looking at his YouTube highlights, but I think he maybe plays in more of a DM position.

Defensive midfielder, who has spent much of last season being played out of position at left back.

Our new Colback :frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

Hegazi

Tagliafico/Bryan

Rondon

Have we even been linked with a number 10?

Wouldn’t be the worst window in the end.

Still basically no first choice upgrades. Would be a fucking pathetic window.

Kenedy, Rondon, Schar, Ki, Muto, Dubravka  would all be either definite starters or in first team-contention (3-4 of which are better than the people they would be replacing). Big if, but if we secured the signings of Maia, Bryan/Tagliafico, Hegazi/Fernandez (and  possibly a number 10) you wouldn't be satisfied?

Despite the bone-headed way we (I say we, I mean Ashley n co.)  have approached this window, I'd with argue anyone that claims we haven't made good progress from last season.

Kenedy and Dubravka were already here last season. Schär and Ki are here as back ups, so do not improve our first eleven. Rondon/Muto will be the only starter (Schär will play now that Lejuene is injured, but he wasn't brought in as a starting CB) and I don't consider either to be a significant improvement on Gayle/Mitrovic.

We have improved our back ups slightly, but that's not how you move forward, especially not when every other team around us are splashing the cash and improving on their first eleven.

Schar and Ki will start a good number of games I imagine, especially with Lejeune injured. Wouldn't be surprised if Shar is first choice this season.

Aye, both of them will start games, but neither has been brought in as first choice players.

Someone mentioned somewhere about the Chronicle barely holding on. Financially?

If they really want to boost their future sales they would stop licking arse and pussyfooting around. Come out all guns blazing and print the negatives, ask the questions that are difficult to answer for the current cancer regime.

So what if they get banned? Ramp it up whilst banned, double the pressure. Negative press is what he dislikes more than anything. If feelings mounted high enough even Sky could not ignore it despite Wormtongue's Bishop's manipulative efforts.

They'd be heroes in the North East for ever more if they contributed to a capitulation from the Ashley machine.

New TV money, new sponsorship money, new season ticket money, new merchandise money, ongoing instalments from previous big sales, 10 senior players off the wage bill - some sold for very significant fees - and we’re still pleading poverty :lol:

Journos just lapping it up too, the absolute cunts.

After reading todays Chronic articles I guess they are upping their game.... a bit. They need to be more direct though, a lot more.

How Newcastle could have saved a mint on Nicolas Tagliafico 12 months ago

The Magpies have enquired about the Argentina left-back but could have bought him for half the price last summer

BySean McCormick

10:24, 31 JUL 2018

Newcastle are interested in a move for Argentina international left-back Nicolas Tagliafico but they could have saved a mint had they been more proactive in previous transfer windows.

The Magpies are desperate for a new left-back this summer with Paul Dummett the only current natural left-back in the senior squad.

Both Javi Manquillo and Jamie Sterry - who has impressed in pre-season - could deputise at left-back in the mean-time, while young wingers Rolando Aarons, Victor Fernandez and Callum Roberts have been used there this summer.

Achraf Lazaar has been told he has no future at the club, while Kenedy could also deputise there if needs be.

But all of the above options require Benitez to re-shuffle his pack and it is one of three key positions he still would like to fill before next Thursday’s transfer deadline.

The issue of left-back cover has been a problem for Newcastle for over a year now with Manquillo and the departed duo of Chancel Mbemba and Jesus Gamez used there at times last season.

In the dying embers of last summer’s transfer window, Newcastle made moves for Ecuadorian left-back Cristian Ramirez, Southampton youngster Matt Targett and Independiente left-back Tagliafico.

The Argentine club were quoting a cut-price £4million for a defender who had international experience but the move never materialised

Newcastle had to move Lazaar on before bringing in a new left-back and as the Moroccan international’s loan move to Benevento was finalised on deadline day, it left little time for a replacement to come in.

Instead, Tagliafico remained at Independiente and despite Newcastle looking to recruit a left-back in the January window, Ajax stole in to sign him for just €4m.

One of Newcastle’s issues with Tagliafico last summer was his lack of European football experience.

Since his arrival at Ajax, the 25-year-old has established himself as the club’s number one left-back, was named man-of-the-match on his debut in der Klassiker against their fierce rivals PSV and started all four of Argentina’s games in this summer’s World Cup.

So fast forward 12 months from Newcastle’s original interest in Tagliafico and damningly, Newcastle’s need for a new left-back remains as paramount as it was back then.

Newcastle remain interested and have enquired about taking Tagliafico. Unsurprisingly, he now costs twice as much as he would’ve done a year ago.

Even more frustratingly for Magpies fans, the £8million the Amsterdam club have quoted is said to be too much for Rafa Benitez’s limited transfer budget.

The Toon Army have seen their club raise the best part of £40million in player sales this summer and are understandably demanding answers as to why Newcastle can’t afford £8million for an international defender in a position that needs strengthening.

But had Newcastle been more proactive last summer, they could have solved the dilemma and in the long run, saved money.

How Rafa Benitez is suffering a world of football torment at Newcastle United

How the words of legendary boss Sir Bobby Robson still ring true at Newcastle United

Lee Ryder

ByLee RyderChief Sports Writer

16:00, 31 JUL 2018

Sir Bobby Robson’s influence continues to rub off on Newcastle United with many stories about the legendary boss shared within the camp here in Portugal.

A permanent monument outside St James’ Park reminds staff and fans of Robson’s stint in charge between 1999 and 2004 before he was sensationally sacked just months after finishing fifth.

But it’s worth remembering that it wasn’t always plain sailing for Robson at Newcastle with the former England boss also having to grapple for both funds and even public support at one stage.

There are similarities to be drawn between then and now with Rafa Benitez in charge.

Benitez has had to fight for every penny spent this summer on transfers and fears that all of his requests for important squad players won’t be delivered.

The mere fact that there is a statue outside St James’ Park ironically confirms the words of the great man during his time in charge of the Magpies.

He once said: “Being a manager is like being an artist. You are never rich until you are dead.

“You always get your rewards when you are gone. Managers and football coaches are the same as Picasso you know.

“Everybody talks about Picasso now, they didn’t like him when he was a painter.”

The strange thing with Benitez, like Robson, is that the majority of the Tyneside public know fine well they have a world class manager on their hands. Can Newcastle United genuinely see that though?

And if they can why isn’t he being handed a war chest to take the club back where they belong?

What is weird at United is that Lee Charnley has already vowed to spend money when saying: “It’s not like we’re sat on a big pot of cash keeping it for a rainy day.

“Money comes in, money goes out and what’s left is available to spend, it’s that simple.”

After £40million after incoming deals plus the TV money came in you have to ask where is it.

Strangely, they’ve backed much worse managers in recent years, not least Alan Pardew who won an EIGHT year contract while even Steve McClaren was handed a strong transfer kitty of £50million to spend three years ago!

It was interesting to observe the treatment of Benitez ahead of Newcastle’s 0-0 draw with Porto on Saturday night.

Staff at the Portuguese club were all over Benitez as they effectively rolled out the red carpet for one of the game’s top managers.

Indeed, it felt like they were keeping Benitez sweet in the event that one day he will become available and as one of the Continent’s top clubs he would be the right fit for them.

But the minute he boarded the bus to leave the impressive Estádio do Dragão he was taken back into the tormented world he finds himself in at United and his recruitment struggles.

The message that Benitez keeps trying to send to his board is a simple one - but it continually fails to be delivered.

He’s not overly concerned about his starting XI, it is simply that he needs good back-up players to challenge for places and provide cover if injuries cut in, which they always do.

A striker, a number 10, a left-back and a centre-back are what he needs to give Newcastle the best chance.

It was the current regime who saw fit to build a statue of Robson outside their administration offices at St James’ Park.

And if they can’t heed the words of Rafa Benitez are they capable of going back over the words of the man they decided to build into the club’s foundations back in 2012.

Robson came so close to success at Newcastle and almost won the UEFA Cup back in 2004 before narrowly going out to Marseille.

Robson once said: “We actually limped there, missing Woodgate, Bellamy, Jenas, Dyer and Bowyer.

“Didier Drogba scored a couple for them and we were sunk.

“Arsène Wenger rang me a few days later to sympathise: ‘Bobby, if you’d had those five players you would have won.’ I said, ‘I know. But no one round here seems to understand that’.”

It is a situation Newcastle could find themselves in again if they don’t bring in the cover they need for Benitez.

The more things change, the more they stay the same in the world of United.

Why hasn't any journo said (apologises if i missed one) anything about us having no budget because we get money in installments for sales, yet we could do exactly the same against the money coming in. Why has none of them asked about that bullshit, we can buy the same way we sell.

Why do none of them have the balls to say what's happening is out of order and pure and utter bullshit ? Instead of saying placid things like 'where is the money' then making some excuses.

Just tell the mother fucker he's an arsehole, i don't care about their access to the players or the club, fuck that and tell the owner he's a cunt, have some fucking balls for once.

At this point I am expecting us to sell Lascelles on the last day of the last day of the window for silly money with no replacement or at best some random 3m defender from an established Champo team. All in all a transfer balance of positive 60 million or so.