Transfer rumours

Yorkie

I know Bruce is shite in every way, but I think there might be a benefit to other clubs in loaning us their 21=23 year olds. Their fooball coaching is pretty much complete at that age and just need the opportunity to chisel out their identity, a coach who doesn't give a fuck, like Bruce, could be just what they need.

2 hours ago, Happinesstan said:

I know Bruce is shite in every way, but I think there might be a benefit to other clubs in loaning us their 21=23 year olds. Their fooball coaching is pretty much complete at that age and just need the opportunity to chisel out their identity, a coach who doesn't give a fuck, like Bruce, could be just what they need.

Did any of the the straws stick within your grasp?

1 hour ago, Happinesstan said:

Is Willock attracting interest from other clubs who have seen him play regularly in the PL?

Your second post is a non-sequitur. Your point was that Bruce’s lack of aptitude / not caring is somehow beneficial to young players, which in my view is clutching at straws. Bruce is the worst manager in the division, and probably one of the worst in the top 2 divisions, so I don’t really back the view that this may be beneficial to a young player. If I was a young player, if I had other coaching options I’d not be opting for Steve Bruce on the basis that I could do whatever I wanted. 

That discussion point has nothing to do with other clubs’ interest in Willock or otherwise - it may be that Willock likes playing for Bruce, but I’d wager he just enjoyed playing games, which didn’t appear to be much of an option for him at Arsenal. 

Either way, Bruce is shit.

8 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Your second post is a non-sequitur. Your point was that Bruce’s lack of aptitude / not caring is somehow beneficial to young players, which in my view is clutching at straws. Bruce is the worst manager in the division, and probably one of the worst in the top 2 divisions, so I don’t really back the view that this may be beneficial to a young player. If I was a young player, if I had other coaching options I’d not be opting for Steve Bruce on the basis that I could do whatever I wanted. 

That discussion point has nothing to do with other clubs’ interest in Willock or otherwise - it may be that Willock likes playing for Bruce, but I’d wager he just enjoyed playing games, which didn’t appear to be much of an option for him at Arsenal. 

Wilock was a special case, self driven and skillful, he was able to manage himself in a way, that wouldn't work with most players who need guidance/tactical instructions. If Bruce did have to get involved he would undoubtedly undo a decent amount of coaching.

1 hour ago, Theregulars said:

Bruce's only instruction to Willock was to run around, make an impact and get in the box. That lack of any instruction afforded him the freedom to put himself in the headlines. 

S'all I'm saying. If you disagree I think you're a bit of a muppet.

On 26/07/2021 at 19:00, Tomato Deuce said:

@brummie could you give us the skinny on Tuanzebe?

I like him. We've been linked with signing him, which I am not massively excited about, but that's because we need to be signing players elsewhere.

The fans loved him. He came here on loan and absolutely bought into it. He's got heart.

On 26/07/2021 at 14:45, Yorkie said:

Can recall @brummie saying that Barkley was terrible for Villa last season? 

Barkley is infuriating.

There were performances like Arsenal away where him and Grealish basically just took them to pieces, they were both brilliant. But for every performance like that, there were 9 unarsed, petulant, nothing performances.

It's a shame, he looked like an inspired signing for a short period of time, but you'd genuinely struggle to find a single Villa fan who would suggest we should have kept hold of him after last season.

Not the worst player we've loaned from Chelsea in recent years, but when you consider the worst was Danny Drinkwater - genuinely, in 50 years watching the club, the worst player I've ever seen play for us in the top flight - it puts it in context.

Drinkwater is an absolute disgrace.

Every time it was like someone had gone into one of the pubs around the ground three hours before kick off and held a lottery whereby the most shitfaced punter by half an hour before kick off would get to play for us.

One of my mates said it was like watching some fan who'd come in full kit, with his boots, just in case we needed an extra body (as per every schoolboy football fan's dream), only to find the dream came true and he got his chance.

Except we were paying him 100k a week. And it happened every week.

shudder.

We start our first game of the new PL season 2 weeks on Sunday .

We currently have signed NO new players , we haven’t freshened it up, we’ve done nothing , weakened the squad . 

Enjoy .

34 minutes ago, GWN said:

We currently have signed NO new players , we haven’t freshened it up, we’ve done nothing , weakened the squad . 

Enjoy .

Lower those expectations sunshine. Main aim is to get the players fit, which is next to impossible given our circumstances. The priority over the first ten games is the accumulation of minutes, then we'll worry about the accumulation of points.

If we add more players in at this stage the accumulation of minutes for the entire squad will be made much much harder.

39 minutes ago, GWN said:

Enjoy .

Why handicap ourselves by trying to improve?

1 hour ago, GWN said:

Enjoy .

I can't wait. Looking forward to watching it all fail miserably under Bruce. I will delight in it massively.

2 hours ago, Shearergol said:

Lower those expectations sunshine. Main aim is to get the players fit, which is next to impossible given our circumstances. The priority over the first ten games is the accumulation of minutes, then we'll worry about the accumulation of points.

If we add more players in at this stage the accumulation of minutes for the entire squad will be made much much harder.

expectations are very lowered 

How much of a joke is it, btw, that we've not got sights on another striker? After Wilson - who will get injured - there's one and a half senior strikers in the squad, with a total of 11 goals between them in the last two full seasons. :lol: 

For all Carroll was completely finished, he still gave relief to the actual strikers on 43 occasions across those two seasons (almost entirely from the bench, obviously). That's a fairly important resource when you consider fitness.

I mean literally just go and get anyone. Only got a few hundred grand to spend? Fine, whatever! You could take a punt on basically anyone in the top three divisions and they'd plug the gap left by Carroll. 

We probably need a couple of fullbacks, two CMs and two strikers to have a competent PL squad.

It’s mad that the season starts in 2 weeks :lol:

Definitely haven’t ever felt so removed from it or paid less attention to what’s coming up.